PDA

View Full Version : 30 Day Challenges

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Millie
08-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Patrick has continually reminded us that stopping drinking or drugging is just the beginning. We also need to work on personal growth. Many of us have expressed the need to figure out ways to fill the time we previously wasted intoxicated or hungover, as well as ways to live fearlessly and authentically. I think we all just need to start somewhere. As we succeed, we will gain more confidence.

So, to begin, Erin and I have decided to do a thirty day exercise challenge. The rules for this challenge are simple. We must exercise every day for at least 20 minutes, no matter what. No exceptions. We are on day one. If we miss a day, we have to go back and start over on day one.

If anyone interested in joining this challenge, or interested in starting a different challenge, please post. There is no reason why we can't be doing multiple challenges at the same time...or all be doing different challenges.... I think it will be fun to see what challenges folks want to undertake.. The sky is the limit.

Samantha
08-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi Millie. Im on. It would be great for me. But my day 1 will have to start tomorrow. Just reading this now. Looking forward to this and thank you so much!!

Millie
08-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Great!!!!! Like stopping drinking, folks will have different day ones!!! I am excited. I actually worked out again tonight. I've gone from not working out months and months and months to twice today. It is something about the folks on this forum, regardless of what day they are on, that gives me motivation!!

AmandaD
08-16-2011, 06:26 PM
I am game! I will do the 30 in thirty but I too have to start tomorrow. Will we keep the discussion within this thread? Would be nice to keep up with others' progress. Great idea!

Millie
08-16-2011, 06:35 PM
I thought it made sense to keep the discussion on this thread, so we can track and encourage each other's progress. If anyone thinks of another good challenge they can track it on this thread too.. It doesn't have to be just about exercise. Folks may want to lose weight, drink more water, spend time each day learning a language or an instrument or a recipes, or reading a book etc?, or to say something nice to spouse or someone each day...

Millie
08-16-2011, 06:43 PM
It is fine that you are a few days ahead. I am impressed with your power walking. Aren't you walking 5 or so miles at a time??? Very impressive. I started today on treadmill. I am going to have to build up slowly. I am very out of shape. I did not have to walk very fast to get my heart rate way up there. I plan to try and work a little harder and longer each day. I made the challenge just a minimum of 20 minutes, so we couldn't have any excuses for not fitting something in each day. My biggest challenge is just getting off the couch and making the effort...

AmandaD
08-16-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm going to copy your post to the forum I'm on. I am on day 9 of journaling one thing I am grateful for daily. Will add 30 days of gratitude to my challeng along with exercise. This is motivating!

Mairianna10
08-17-2011, 01:46 AM
Hi Millie, I'm here! Great idea. Hi AmandaD, Sylvane and Samantha. I'm going to dust off my Wii Fit and start today. I will get a talking to. Have any of you used Wii Fit? If not, if you dont use it for a while it actually questions you - Where have you been, etc?

I have been walking a little but nothing consistent. Here goes ....

Millie
08-17-2011, 01:52 AM
We have a wii, bit not the wii fit. I've got some zumba DVDs I need to pull out.. Fortunately, they won't ask any questions where I have been..

_Erin_
08-17-2011, 05:27 AM
Good morning, all! Day 2 for me! Last night after work, I took a walk with my man and my daughter, and then met a friend and took another walk! So I'm with you, Millie, I went from doing just about nothing to getting up off the couch more than I was even on it yesterday! This morning, I got up and ran another lap. I'm in the same boat - completely out of shape - and I find myself nearly suffocating by the time I reach the end of the lap. LOL But I feel so good for the rest of the day that it is worth it. And now I'm looking forward to the day that I can run several laps in the 25 minutes I have before starting my morning routine.

Mairianna, your comment about "getting a talking to" from your Wii Fit made me giggle out loud! I've never used the Wii Fit, but I do have a Wii, so I may just have to hunt that one down.

Millie
08-17-2011, 06:47 AM
First, I want to thank you Erin for inspiring this thread and all that have joined in. This morning I Was regretting making this challenge since I didn't sleep well last night, but I forced myself to go to the gym, I was planning to do the treadmill again but a zumba class was starting, so I joined in for first half. I was about to die after 30 minutes but it was fun, fun, fun. I now feel so jazzed. I have never done a live class before.

I have realized that this challenge is going to be tough for me. That little voice in my head is either trying to talk me into bad habits or out of good ones.. I am not sure what is harder...talking myself out of doing something I shouldn't, like drink, or talking myself in to doing something I should, like exercise. Jury is out. I will keep you all posted.

Day 2

_Erin_
08-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Thank me?!? LOL! I should be thanking YOU! This thread was your idea, Millie. It was just the prod I needed in the right direction.

Funny, I did the same thing this morning... LOL "Ohhh, I am sooo tired..." I didn't really regret the challenge, but it took me all the way until I actually arrived at the track to actually wake up. I was a zombie the whole way. Yesterday it was a lot easier to get myself going. It sounds like I have the same arguments with myself as you do! I talk myself into sweets, or "cheating" on exercise - for example, not really putting my all into a workout, but if no one saw it, I can say I did. What does that get me? Doesn't help me get in shape, all I'm doing is hurting myself and lying to myself. I decided this time, even though no one is looking, I'm going to put forth a real effort be completely and totally honest with myself about it. I'm writing down what time I left the house and came back, how much I weigh (not that this is my focus, but it does help keep me on track), how many laps I was able to do, and soon I'm going to clock how long it takes me to get around the track. It was neat that even after one day, I made it back to the house one minute sooner than I did yesterday. I think seeing the progress will help!

Good luck everyone! I'm interested to see how it's going for you!!

Cathy
08-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Millie are working for Patrick? How much do you get paid? LOL!!
I stopped myself from drinking today before the "drunk" happened. Drunk usually leads to black out.
I'm going to drag out my gazelle in the morning before my grandkids get here. 20 minutes...whew!......that sounds really hard! I weigh 135 right now, but supposed to be 125. Then we're taking off for the day to South Haven to spend the day with some family and friends.
One foot in front of the other..........

AmandaD
08-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi ladies! Congrats to everyone for joining. Big thanks to Erin and Millie for inspiring us! I was so tired after a long day at work then home to cook dinner. Had talked myself out of exercising. I thought, "I'll start tomorrow" but couldn't stand coming here and saying that! So I walked and jogged (mostly walked) and afterward my mood was much better and I was reenergized. So a very successful first day.

Now the second part of my challenge-Thirty Days of Gratitude
Today I am grateful for Patrick's website and forums; both of which have been instrumental in keeping me clean and sober for the past ten days.

Christy
08-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks Millie and Erin for the challenge. Maybe I'll get on the right track again. I was doing good for awhile, but been working so much and trying to make excuses when I get home to just say the heck with exercise. I feel so much better when I do. I just got home from the Mall of America, so does 2 days of that count for anything? LOL!
I also second the second part of the challenge. Thanks Patrick for this forum. You have changed many lives of people on this forum. Kudos to you!

rosella
08-18-2011, 04:04 AM
Yes, great idea Millie and Erin. I need something positive to focus on rather than just what I shouldn't be doing. It's a bit late today so I'll start tomorrow (Friday). So as well as exercise, I, like Dragonfly, am also going to meditate for at least 10mins/day for 30 days. And no excuses from me this time around.

_Erin_
08-18-2011, 05:35 AM
Day 3!!! I'm already amazed I've made it this far. For me, "not a morning person" isn't even the half of it, and I used to try to walk in the afternoons. Now that I'm a mommy, I don't have much of an afternoon to myself. LOL We do normally take walks as a family after work/dinner, but I just don't feel like only walking was doing it for me. I definitely wasn't pushing myself with only walking.

I think one of the things that's keeping me going is that I do this literally the moment I get out of bed. I don't have time to wake up and talk myself out of it. I get up, get dressed, let the dogs out, make John's coffee, and out the door I go! I even woke up in the middle of the night last night, excited to get up in the morning. TO RUN. In case you missed it, I HATE RUNNING. LOL!

Only three days into it, I am already noticing a few things: I don't need caffeine to jump-start my brain. I am more wide awake, even when I don't get much sleep. I do get sleepy around 2 pm, but I read somewhere on another post that afternoon is a normal time for a sugar low, so I've been trying to compensate for that. I have lost one pound each day so far - is that even possible, or is my scale broken? I actually crave water throughout the day, so I am drinking more water without even trying. I get hungry faster, so it's actually easier (and better for me) to eat several smaller snacks throughout the day rather than just wait until after work and pig out. As far as my body, my legs are SORE, but somehow I don't notice it until after I get home in the mornings. My stomach and back muscles are a little sore, too, which is awesome because that means it's working! I find myself sitting up straighter during the day.

Who would've thought - actually taking action and DOING something is opening all the other doors I was getting so frustrated with. I, too, am very grateful for this site!!

Mairianna10
08-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Hi all, just to say I am at Day 1 and just completed. Didn't manage to do it yesterday as had too much on with kids back to school. Enjoyed it.

Mairianna10
08-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Cathy, what's a gazelle? I have a picture of a real gazelle saddled up in your back garden!!

Millie
08-18-2011, 07:15 AM
Day 3

I woke up dreading exercise again. I tried to talk myself out of going, but my little devil voice in my head lost. I went to gym and joined a core class oe crunches, planks, etc. For thirty minutes. It was hard. I then got on treadmill
For 25 minutes. 5 minutes was warm up/cool down. I am making progress. I went 1.5 miles in 20 minutes 12 seconds. The first day I only went 1.2 miles in 22 minutes.. I feel great.

Erin. I love your post. You sound soooo positive, when you were so frustrated a few days ago.

Millie
08-18-2011, 07:19 AM
Miarianna. Congrats on day 1. Back to school rush now over, no more excuses. Lol

_Erin_
08-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Mairianna - I think a gazelle is one of those glider machines where your legs do a brisk walk while you hold onto the handles at the top. Did that even make sense? LOL I'm glad you're joining us on this!

Millie - YAAAYYY for beating the little devil!! That's two days in a row for you! :) (You may have been battling the voice on the first day, too, but I just know you mentioned it yesterday and today.) Congrats on your progress! You sound like you are doing wayyy more than I am. LOL But I'm not comparing. What I'm doing is still more than what I normally would do, and I have to start somewhere! I am feeling much more positive now. I have all of you to share with, and hear from, and we're rooting each other on. It feels like putting effort into this is making a lot of other areas of my life click into place. Maybe it's just that my thinking is starting to change. Either way, I embrace it!

AmandaD
08-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Way to go Erin!!!

Millie
08-18-2011, 02:24 PM
I think mowing grass qualifies, unless riding mower. So does chopping wood or hole digging, lol. I am glad you are feeling better..

Samantha
08-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the inspiration and encouragement. I started today so day 1 for me. I really appreciate this idea Millie as I know I need to exercise for alot of good reasons. I know it will help my mood plus I am tired of feeling fat. I really want to buy new clothes as my current ones are getting worn out. But I've been holding off forever...just waiting to drop 1 size. Alcohol never let that happen! I gained weight. Need to start getting healthy!

AmandaD
08-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Day 2: I had an out of town doctor's appointment today and didn't get home until late but still got myself ready and went swimming. Glad I did!

Today I am thankful that I didn't relapse even though the opportunity presented itself to me.

Millie
08-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Wow, this challenge is off to great start. Amanda, I am impressed that you got home late and still got your exercise in. I am already feel better after 3 days. I can't wait to see how we are all doing after 30. I know my little devil voice will start whining in the morning, so I am already thinking about ways to fight it.

Mairianna10
08-19-2011, 02:45 AM
Done my 20 minutes on Wii again, had a virtual jog and some yoga. Day 2 done.

I need to lose a ton of weight and this 30 day challenge will give me a great start. Thanks Millie.

_Erin_
08-19-2011, 05:23 AM
Ok, so I got up and had the little devil voice today. I didn't want to go to the track, but I did. The whole way, I kept trying to talk myself into cheating... only halfway will be ok... but by the time I got there, I had firmly decided that no, I got up to do this, I am going to do it. So the universe, or God, or whoever it is out there, played a little trick on me. The track I run is all torn up. There were tracks from tractor tires and about 6 inches of dirt instead of the rubber asphalt. I took it as a "Oh, you wanna try to cheat, huh? Well, here, let's make it a little tougher..." LOL I ran it anyway! It was way more resistance than my other days. But I feel good for accomplishing it. It was a good reminder that I need the push to get on the right track to confidence.

I have this problem. Every time I start to exercise or eat right, I get about as far as I am into it now, and then start trying on the clothes in my closet that I bought for "motivation" before. They're a size or two smaller than what I wear. I did it today, and then I felt like crap because none of them fit. What do I expect, four days into it, when I've spent a lifetime being lazy? I'm still having my moment of feeling fat, but today, I am grateful that I recognize this as self-sabotage. It's my excuse to feel sorry for myself and give up, and it's not going to work this time.

Day 4!!!! Great job, everyone!! :)

Millie
08-19-2011, 06:23 AM
Erin,
I loved your post. I can sooo relate. Good job for not letting the torn up track be an excuse not to exercise... I also have some motivator clothes in the closet. But I am not abut to try them on. Unlike you, I haven't lost an ounce. I feel so much better though.

I actually got going pretty easy this morning. I joined a spin class at the gym. Oh my god, I don't know what is was thinking with the level 0 shape I am in. While everyone else was sprinting, and climbing hills, etc., I just tried to keep pedaling. I only made it through half the class. It was a very motivating group of folks. I think I will go back again. I figure in a week or so, I may be able to finish a class and one day even keep up. Lol. I sure got my heart rate up..

Day 4. Check.

Mairianna. Great job on day 2. We can do this. I love the folks on this forum. You all inspire me every day. Are we now on day 32? Now that I am exercising, I have even more resolve not to pour any poison in my body. When I see alcohol, I imagine a skull and crossbones on it..

Have a great Friday.

Mairianna10
08-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Yes, Day 32 Millie. Cant quite believe it, really want to get fit now. Not eating quite so much.

Erin, well done, and yes, your description of gazelle was fine, knew exactly what you meant. I've had 2 exercise bikes, a rowing machine, weight lifting bench, stepper, dumbells, stretching bands, you name it, over the years. Bikes became somewhere to hang my clothes then passed on to friends, other items in the garage or in a cupboard somewhere. Going to really stick with this 30 day challenge and get through a decent period of regular exercise.

_Erin_
08-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Thank you all for your encouragements. :) I've decided to stay out of my closet. LOL! I don't need to worry about what I can fit into, you're right, Dragonfly, I need to enjoy now. And until I make major progress, I'm only going to continually bring myself down by trying to fit into things that don't fit. Maybe that will be a good thing to do at the end of 30 days. I do feel better and that's the real point!

Ok, everyone, have a wonderful weekend! I won't be back to post again until Monday. But that doesn't mean I'm not still doing what I'm doing! :)

casey
08-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi everyone. Erin and Millie this is such a great idea. It is so important to be physically fit. I wanted to check out the forum you started. Great job everyone!

Millie
08-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Casey, does that mean you are going t join us???? Any day can be day 1.;)

Happy Saturday everyone. Today was good exercise day. I did a Zumba class at gym. I stayed for whole class but was definitely losing steam half way through. It was fun though.

Please report in on your challenge progress.

Day 5. Check :). Only twenty five more to go.

AmandaD
08-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Day 3/30
Yesterday I mowed the lawn and did a spark people exercise DVD. I can already feel small changes in my body. Everyone is doing so well! I think that exercise fills a void for me. Gives me something positive to plan, think about, then execute.

Today I'm thankful for my best friend who is also working toward sobriety. She is such an encourager.

Mairianna10
08-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Well, I thought I wasn't going to manage it today but I did. Day 3 done. Oh my legs!

Keep it up everyone, nite

Millie
08-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Dragonfly,
It is funny you mentioned the 30 day shred. I just bought DVD at walmart. I've heard a lot about it but have never tried it. I definitely recommend the zumba. It was hard but fun.

Sally
08-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Hey Millie -

Thanks for the invite - I have been reading and keeping up with the posts. Although I joined you in spirit (and am even doing exercise right along with you), didn't want to commit to one more thing on my plate. I have a "fitbit" - little device I wear that records my steps - and have been walking 2 miles/day since you started this thread. Also due to your and everyone's inspiration I am taking my mother-in-law who is wheel chair bound (well sort of), for daily walks when the weather permits - now that is a workout, pushing her up hills, hanging onto her on our way down. LOL

Also am trying to stick to my diet - alcohol is no longer my problem, dark chocolate is, and have lost 2 pounds though you can't tell. Erin - ditch the closet for a week or two - I did!! And in two weeks I get to go out and buy my "school" clothes - hopefully I will have lost 1/2 of my middle by then.

p.s. You're all doing great - you should be so proud of yourselves, we all should. Who'd of thought huh?!! Glad that I found this place and all of you :]

Millie
08-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Folks, it is 10:20 pm and I just finished my exercise for the day. It was sooo tough to fit it in today because of multiple church and family functions, one of which I hosted. I was so tired tonight, but I forced myself to workout.

Dragonfly, I did level one of my 30 day shred CD. It kicked my butt. I am still a level 0 body. I liked it in a pure hatred sort of way. In other words, I hated every minute of it while I was doing it, especially the cardio, but am happy now that it is over, and t wait to suffer through it again on another day.

I was looking forward to watching the last heart attack on CNN tonight and was bummed it got delayed a week because of action in libya. A strict vegan type diet may be my next 30 day challenge. Is anyone on here a vegan???

I hope everyone had a wonderful sober weekend.

Mairianna10
08-22-2011, 01:25 AM
Day 5, just off to do my 20 minutes on the Wii. Really feeling my muscles working.

_Erin_
08-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Good morning (morning where I am), everyone!

Day 7! It sure takes a lot of discipline to set your clock on the weekends, when you know you don't have to get up early for work! But I did it, and I'm glad I did because I don't have to start all over again. I even pushed myself on Saturday to run 1-1/4 laps and walk the last 3/4. Not a huge push, but it still seemed like it. LOL I didn't really have a time restriction that day, so I figured I might as well see what I can do.

Dragonfly - I know all about about falling off the wagon. LOL The #1 reason for me to stop doing anything is because I usually jump in with both feet and "OCD" on whatever I'm focusing on, and then I burn out quickly and end up right back where I was. This time, it's a push just to get my butt out of bed to DO this, and to keep doing it every day. I'm proud of even that, so I'm not cutting myself short because I can't run a marathon yet. One day at a time. :)

Millie - Loved the "liked it in a pure hatred sort of way" comment! That was awesome. That's kind of how I feel about running. LOL I hate it but I really like that I'm sticking with it and giving it a shot!

Good job, Mairianna! I hear ya on feeling your muscles working! :)

One thing I really like is that I'm breaking out of my old patterns. I know I'm still early in the 30 days but it's neat to look at how my eating, sleeping, and relaxing patterns are changing. I even get more done around the house. I LOVE that John wakes up every morning, amazed that I got up to do my lap. He doesn't wait for me to fail, necessarily, but in the 4 years we've been together I've done a lot of "I'd like to do this..." or "I'm going to start doing that..." and then don't do it (or OCD on it and then quit, see paragraph 3). This is the longest I've stuck with something consecutively the whole time I've known him. It's a good feeling to break out of the "letdown" pattern, and to follow through on my word!

I also like that it's starting to come naturally to me that I consider myself! Like Sally said on another post, I would put myself on the back burner and then develop the "poor me" attitude and resent everyone and everything (including myself) for never "getting" to do what I wanted. Now, I pack myself a lunch (used to skip it)... if I feel like taking a bath in the evening, I do... even something as simple as a bowl of ice cream. This will sound a little dumb, but it's even been habit for me to wait until John says, "Hey, want some ice cream?" Now, if I want ice cream, I get up and head to the kitchen to get it and on the way say, "Want me to get you something?" I feel like that's kind of even more thoughtful in a way, more "I'm doing what I want and considering you in the process" rather than "I'm waiting for you to make the first move and drag me along with you." This weekend, he had a softball tournament. Normally, I would hang out for the entire day whether I wanted to or not, because I feel like I have to. I told him halfway through the day that Kinzie and I wanted to go home for a while, and text me when he's ready and we'll come back.

We've had a lot of stress lately, financially mostly, and things were kind of fizzling. I can feel the connection starting to come back, just by putting a little more focus on myself, and that too is a big motivator. :) Sorry to ramble on! So glad I met all of you and have this forum to keep me going!!!

Millie
08-22-2011, 07:14 AM
Wow Erin. Great post. It is amazing what a difference just one little change can make!!!!
I got my exercise in. 22 minutes on the treadmill, alternating walking and running..mostly walking. 1.5 miles I again had to Force myself to do it. I tried to talk myself into waiting until later in the day. And then, once I was started, it kept trying to talk me into quitting half way through. I just ignored it and kept going until done. Wow, it is such a good feeling not to give up. One week down. Woohooo

Samantha
08-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone. So inspired by all the energy and posts! Day 4 for me. Millie thank you for starting this thread. I have been struggling with sadness off and on, mood swings, since getting sober. So the exercise seems to be helping me out of some of the negativity. I like the 30 day vegan too as how we nourish ourselves is important too. But not certain on vegan as dont know much about it? I have been eating alot of sugar lately. Anyway congrats to all of you on ur exercise success!!

Millie
08-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I hear you! I am not sure about the vegan either. Today I had cheese burgers, chicken salad, and chicken soup (so giving up meat would be quite a challenge. I am impressed with what I have been reading about the health benefits from a whole foods, plant based diet, though... Heart issues/strokes run in my family. I have been reading a diet called engine 2 diet...Hoping to get inspired. Perhaps, I start by just having a few vegetarian days a week... First things first, and that is sticking with the exercise (and not drinking). I am not sure if it is the elimination of alcohol or the exercise or combination, but I have been sooooo hungry (and have a new sweet tooth to boot).

I may have to do something drastic like trying vegan, if I start gaining too much.

_Erin_
08-23-2011, 05:34 AM
Day 8! Today was a real challenge because we didn't get to bed until 12:30 last night, and then up at 5:30. John says, "I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to do your run today..." and I said, "I don't, but I have to!" It's an awesome feeling to start your day with a good decision! It felt especially empowering to turn down the invitation to skip it today.

I have a sweet tooth, too, but mine's not new - I was born with it. LOL I've been really hungry lately, too, probably because I start my metabolism up as soon as I get out of bed now. Is anyone else finding that they don't crave sweets quite as much, though? I'm not saying I haven't craved them at all, but it seems like I don't think about it as much.

Vegan wouldn't be tough for me all the time, I love my veggies, but once in a while I just have to have some meat. LOL

Great job on your progress, everyone!! I love how we all keep each other going. I know you do for me - even 8 days of this would have seemed impossible before. Thank you again, Millie, for starting this supportive thread!!

Millie
08-23-2011, 06:39 AM
I am thankful we got this thread going too. Day 8 done. Wow. I can't even remember the last tme I strung 8 days of exercise together in a row. It is still tough to get it done, though. If I didn't feel like I have to be accountable on this forum (or the fact i would have to start over on day 1 if I missed a day, which would be a bummer) I am sure I would have found an excuse or two to miss a day. I appreciate all the thanks, but i can't thank all of you enough for participating in the exercise challenge and for inspiring me and keeping me motivated. Dragonfly, I am looking forward to the day when I jump out of bed excited to exercise. :)

Erin, while drinking, I never had a sweet tooth. I guess the alcohol sugars kept it satisfied. Now that alcohol is out of the picture, I have one bad. I am planning to do a vegan day today to try it out.

Have a great day!!!

_Erin_
08-23-2011, 06:51 AM
You know, my mom never cared much for sweets, either. This really has nothing to do with this thread, but "alcohol sugars" reminds me of the day she found out she was diabetic - Mother's Day of 2000. She went to the optometrist because her vision was blurry. They must have seen the start of a cataract (just last year she ended up having cataract surgery), because after checking her eyes they checked her sugar. The doc told her to sit down immediately, because she should be in a sugar coma right now - her sugar was over 800!!!! That was also the first day she was hospitalized. The first of many over the years. :( Amazing the havoc a fifth of Southern Comfort a day can wreak on your body.

Anyway... diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, depression... all of this has shown up in my family as well as John's family. My daughter has a double-whammy coming her way. I know in order to keep from ending up much like Mom and Grandma did, I need to change some of my habits, starting with being more active. I also know that my little girl will be watching what Mommy does, and I want to be a good role model. :) Yet another good reason for me to keep going!!

Millie
08-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Counting Days has finished day two. Until Patrick fixes the registration issues she can read this thread, but can't post, so I am posting for her. Good job Counting!!!

_Erin_
08-24-2011, 05:17 AM
Great job, Millie, Samantha, Mairianna, Sally and Counting!!! Glad you're joining us even if you can't post it yourself! :)

Awesome, Dragonfly! I'm glad you're putting your mind to this. I'm noticing a difference in myself, too - pushing myself to get up and do this every day, even if it's rainy or I don't feel like it or the track's torn up - gives me a good feeling and it lasts most if not all of the day. I have the same problem of waking up in the middle of the night thinking. I am finding that the more physically tired I am, the less chance I have of my thoughts waking me up.

Day 9 down! My track isn't all bumpy anymore - yaaayyy! It's still not asphalted, but at least I don't have to dodge tractor tracks in the dark anymore! The lap is getting easier to finish (still not EASY by a long shot) and I feel a little less suffocated at the end. I carry most of my weight around my midsection, and have done virtually nothing to regain my abdomen muscles since my C-section, so I added 25 crunches to my workout this morning. It's a starting point, I plan to add at least one every day. I have also decided that the closet is off limits until the end of the 30 days. I have no intention of stopping this routine after 30, but I figure a 30-day check-in is a good goal. I should see a little difference by then, especially with adding crunches. Either way, I'm feeling better in more ways than one, and I'm good with that!

Millie
08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Bill, come join us. It is only twenty minutes a day.

I have gone from NEVER exercising to just finishing my 9th day in a row. It is really helping my mood and every thing else.

Dragonfly, I did the shred again, and again it kicked my butt.

Erin, I was worried about getting it done, since didn't do it thing in the morning..
Just finished about half hour ago.

Day nine ---- check

_Erin_
08-25-2011, 05:42 AM
Thanks, Dragonfly! :)

Millie, GREAT JOB GIRL!!! I'm proud of you. I would have had the same worry if I didn't get up in the morning. I tend to let things slide if I don't get right on them.

Bill - I can attest to the mood change, too. It really seems to get the cylinders firing and kind of helps align lots of things in your life. Give it a try - it'll kick your butt while you're doing it, but you'll be glad you did when you finish!

Day 10 down!!! We're a third of the way there, Millie! :) I had to drag myself today, but I did it and yet again, I'm glad I pushed myself. John keeps telling me that doing it every day will break down more muscle than it will build up, and that I would achieve better results if I did it every other day instead. I keep telling him that I appreciate his insight and concern, but I've committed to 30 days, and I have to finish. Right now, this is more about proving to myself that I can follow through on a commitment, and less about losing weight. I told him once I get past 30, I'll give his way a try, but right now, this is about me. :)

Great job, everyone!!

Millie
08-25-2011, 06:41 AM
Today is day 10 for me and day 4 for Counting Days. We haven't checked it off today, yet, but we will before day is done.

Erin, I am having trouble getting cranking in the morning, yesterday and today. I think I may need to start yelling back at my devil voice a little louder.

casey
08-25-2011, 06:41 AM
I have to do a better job of checking in here Millie. I have been busy lately helping my kids, which is a good thing, but things will slow down soon. Some info on my physical routine.. I do run and since I stopped drinking I have been working on increasing my distance and entering more races. I will use your 30 day challenge to inspire me to do that. Not having to worry about hangovers has done wonders for me already.
Funny reading about the vegetarian diet here. I actually stopped eating meat at the same time I stopped drinking. I am not vegan since I still consume eggs and milk products but it has been good for me. It will be great to share this with you all.
I am planning on doing some "race for the cure" events. Anyone else planning on doing any of the run/walk events around the country?

Millie
08-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Casey, so far I am flunking royally at vegetarian idea. I keep noodling over it though. I plan to watch the CNN special Sunday

_Erin_
08-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Hey Millie, I don't know if it would help you any, but it helps me if I just get up and do it first thing. I mean literally, first thing. LOL Like, I get up and out the door I go, no time to think twice about it. And I remind myself that this is not a punishment, it's something good I'm doing for myself. This has been a good practice in discipline for me, since I'm combining two things I really dislike (running and mornings) and forging through 30 days in a row of it! :)

Mairianna10
08-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Day 8 done. Didn't do the Wii session today, I did a couple of hours work in the garden instead, mainly strimming.

_Erin_
08-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Yaayyy Mairianna! I can't wait to have a garden, I'm jealous. :)

Millie
08-25-2011, 05:38 PM
I did a 30 minute walk around the neighborhood. Nice to be outside for a change. Day 10 done. One third of the way through..

_Erin_
08-26-2011, 05:04 AM
Day 11! I seem to be having one of those "anything that can go wrong will" days, but I got my lap in, so at least that didn't go wrong. :) I know half of this battle is getting the crabby attitude out of me, so I'm trying like hell to do so!

We're doing great, everyone! Dragonfly, I sooo wish I had a bike! :) Soon I hope, before the snow flies! Are you still in MO or did you travel to a different state? (You may have said and I wasn't paying attention...)

Millie, yaaayyyy, you and I are both officially 1/3 of the way to 30!! :)

Have a great day, all!

Millie
08-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Erin, I got my act together and got it done this morning!!! 1.5 miles on treadmill in 21 minutes. I also did some weights after. I is nice to not have it hanging over my head for rest of day. :)

Day 11 done.

Erin, we are doing great !! I was reading back on our posts and you mentioned you were surprised to get to day 3 and now we are closing in on two weeks.

Have a great day everyone. Get your workout in,

_Erin_
08-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Millie - that is awesome!! :) Good for you!! I know, 3 days seems so long ago now, and we just keep tacking on the days! We rock! LOL

I looove the fall, too! John would like to move to Florida, I told him the most south he'll get me is probably Tennessee! Of all the crappy things about Michigan right now, nothing beats a Michigan fall. I would definitely miss the colors, the crispness of the air, and the crunchiness beneath my feet.

That, Dragonfly, is what I call "the universe f$%*ing with me." :) I know it's quite possibly a coincidence, but on the days that I hate getting up the most, it seems like there's more and more obstacles in my way, or just plain things to piss me off. LOL Great job, though, getting up and doing it anyway!! Maybe later on today, you'll look back and give yourself the credit you deserve for trudging through!

Millie
08-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Dragonfly,
So sorry about your exercise day today... Yuck!!
I am gled you survived and got it done :)

Mairianna10
08-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Failed! :( Should have had 10 days but I just didnt get time yesterday. I'll just have to start over again today.

Well done to you guys though.

Millie
08-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Oh no mairianna! Don't let it be an excuse to stop. Get right back with it and get day one today. Missing yesterday doesn't erase all the progress you have made so far.

I did an hour zumba class this morning. It was fun and I can tell I am getting in better shape. Didn't feel like I was going to pass out. Lol.

Dragonfly, I hope you have better workout experience today. :)

Everyone, let us know how your workout are going. If you haven't joined in yet, please do. Having the challenge out there helps me get it it done.

I hope all in Irene's way are safe.

Millie
08-27-2011, 07:23 AM
I am too tired to try and edit. Sorry for typos.

Millie
08-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Boy, that sounds like a great challenge. I think it is fine lit just count the days you are home... It might take 45 days to complete your thirty day challenge, but so what.

I need to do that too, but don't know if I could do it. :)

Mairianna10
08-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Cant get going again! Going to set tomorrow (Mon) as my start. Here's to a bit of motivation. Well done you guys.

Millie
08-28-2011, 05:49 AM
As I tell my kids, you need to get that Can't out of your vocabulary. Lol. It is only 20 minutes. Get it done today. Walk around the block, put in DVD... The longer you drag your feet, the harder it will be.

You and Erin are keeping me going, please don't stop!!!!

Millie
08-28-2011, 05:52 AM
And dragonfly and counting days :)

Mairianna10
08-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Millie, no I wont stop. Going to get on with it tomorrow and I wont give up this time. Not sure what's happened to me. I promise to mark off Day 1 again tomorrow. You're doing fantastic.

Millie
08-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Ok mairianna, I am cussing you right now (just kidding:). It is 8:15 here and I have not yet exercised. My little devil voice keeps saying... Don't worry about, you can just start over on day 1 with mairianna tomorrow. Soooooo tempting, as I am very tired, but am trying to fight the urge. I'll post later, if I get it done. Don't do this to me again. Hehe (especially no day 1s with the drinking...I am counting on you and Casey sticking with me) ;)

Millie
08-28-2011, 06:31 PM
I Guilted myself off couch and got it done. I feel better and am now watching the last heart attack on CNN. Day 13 done! Hardest day by far.

Mairianna10
08-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Millie, glad you got it done. Was really worried you were going to stop. I'm just off to do mine as promised x

_Erin_
08-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Good morning! Sounds like everyone is struggling! I did, too, but I'm happy to report that Day 14 is out of the way! It's soo hard to talk myself out of not setting the alarm for the morning sometimes, but I'm still doing it, somehow. LOL Come on, girls, we can do this!! We have to keep our heads up, we are all making progress! Millie, you and I have 2 weeks under our belts now, and Dragonfly, you're right behind us!! Mairianna, I know it's really easy to talk yourself out of it, but you can do it!!

I'm not really noticing much of a difference in weight, but I am noticing that I'm starting to look healthier. My skin looks better, my face is thinning down, and I am very out of shape, but I am noticing my body is beginning to firm and tone up a little. It's nice to see a change starting, but I've still been really down on myself lately. That's the easy part - I can break my own spirit faster than anyone else can. The challenge is telling myself I'm not doing that! Some days are better than others, but it's getting a little easier to tell the devil voice to stuff it. LOL

Millie
08-29-2011, 07:36 PM
I waited until the eleventh hour again, but I got it done. I really got my heart rate up, my face is red as a beet.

Two weeks---done

Mairianna, did you get yours done????

Mairianna10
08-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Well done Millie ... and yes, I'm back on track. Day 2 and going to do my exercise once I get the kids out for school. Thanks Millie Motivator x

_Erin_
08-30-2011, 04:59 AM
Day 15... better mood today!

Millie
08-30-2011, 06:15 AM
Day 15 done. 1.5 miles in 20 minutes and twenty seconds...slowly making progress.

Did cool down then some weights for upper body after. Much better to get it done and out of way in the morning. Who knows, perhaps I will be inspired to work out again tonight. I am getting anxious to SEE some progress, instead of just feeling better. After two weeks of exercising, I was down one pound this morning. I keep telling myself muscle weighs more and I didn't have any before starting this challenge. Lol

Millie
08-30-2011, 06:27 AM
Dragonfly, I agree. Since I started exercising, I have been focused on that and not drinking. I have even started reading this thread first, to see what everyone is doing exercise wise, before I read the main one. As they say, if you keep doing the same thing, you will keep getting the same results. I have been drinking too much, eating as much and whatever I wanted to, and getting absolutely NO exercise, and I was wondering why I didn't feel great. Duh! I am FINALLY--- at ripe old age of 47--- starting to shake things up and am so excited. If I can just lose ten more pounds, I will be down to a weight I haven't seen in about 10 years. Of course, I ultimately want to lose between 20 and 30.

_Erin_
08-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Great job, ladies! Millie, halfway there! That's what got me up today. I agree, it is getting increasingly harder to motivate, but that also makes me feel better that I accomplished it when I trudge through and finish. This morning, I realized my "down on myself" attitude was more the victim feeling than anything else. I put my foot down and was assertive with a couple things, and it snapped me out of it! I've finally started the ball rolling in the right direction, I'm not going to fall back into my old routine and just allow life to happen to me. Sometimes it's a hard fight, but I want to be the warrior!

_Erin_
08-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Hey - anyone got any tips on how to breathe while running? LOL I am finding that when I push myself to do a little more, or a little faster, than before, I am seriously suffocating at the end and have to slow down. Saturday, I pushed myself a little farther, and when I stopped, I had a flash of numbness over my face and most of my body. John said that's lack of oxygen and I need to control my breathing. I find that just before I have to stop, I am practically panicking for air. Are there any good tips to control breathing? I've tried concentrating on the stars when I run (it's dark when I go), and I've tried focusing on my breathing, which actually seems counteractive... like I have LESS control because I'm thinking about it.

Millie - Your post popped up as I was posting mine. I check this thread first now, too. LOL Not only am I excited to see what others did the day before, but I'm happy to check another day off of my 30, so it's kind of like a journal for me. You are doing awesome! I'm positive you'll start to see results soon. Sometimes when you stop paying attention, that's when you finally see them. :)

Millie
08-30-2011, 07:21 AM
Erin, I agree with you. I can't wait to get on here as soon as I exercise to write DONE. Of course, I do like to read what other folks have done too. You are keeping me honest. :)

Regina
08-30-2011, 05:08 PM
You all inspire me. It is getting cooler outside. Time to get walking!

_Erin_
08-31-2011, 05:22 AM
Good morning! Day 16... right? Yeah... Day 16. LOL I'm losing count! That's a good thing, right? Today was a toughie, I gave blood yesterday and even though I took an iron supplement, I am still really exhausted. I also have a slight sore throat this morning, so that makes me a little extra tired. Not gonna let a little cold stop me, though!

Dragonfly, thank you for the breathing pointers!! I tried it this morning and it actually did help a little. I know it'll probably take some practice, as I caught myself chest-breathing more than once, but I didn't feel like I was suffocating quite as quickly this time, and the belly breathing helped me to catch my breath quicker when I stopped running.

Have a wonderful day, all!!

_Erin_
08-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Your job sounds fun! :) I hope the hotel pics don't lie!

While it sounds like a great idea to give up processed foods, I don't think I could! LOL Mainly a convenience factor for me. I love my veggies, he won't touch them with a 10-foot pole, so I'd have to make my own meals from scratch and THEN his meal, and I either don't have the time or don't make the time to do that. Usually I make something he and I will both eat, and then add vegetables to mine. But almost everything we eat comes in some form of packaging first. :( Are you thinking basically picking everything straight from the garden, so to speak?

_Erin_
08-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Hey, if I can read Millie's posts, I can read anything! (HAHAHA - Just kidding, Millie! :) I only said that because you always comment on all your errors [which I rarely even see]!)

Dragonfly - Mine is kind of the opposite. I'm by no means eating salads every day, but I'm noticing that slowly I'm craving less sweets and more healthy stuff. I did stop and buy a candy bar today, because I realllllyyyy wanted chocolate, but it's been happening less and less. I imagine that your cravings have to do with giving up the alcohol, though? I know it's loaded with sugars. Be kind to yourself, anyway. You're headed in the right direction, maybe it can't all change overnight, but you're still aware and not letting it slip under the rug! That counts for something!

I also notice that, with me, the more junk food I eat, the more I crave it. Kind of an addiction in itself. I feel your pain, it's hard to break the cycle!

Mairianna10
08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Well done guys. Afraid its not so good for me, failed to carry on again.

Starting Day 1 again tomorrow. This time I wont give up! Nite x

Millie
08-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Oh no, Mairianna. Don't let days add up. In the past, I would start doing great on exercise plan, then a holiday, or ling weekend or something would interrupt it, and I would have a devil of a time getting motivated again, sometimes months or years would go by before I got up the gumption to start again. Just get back to it tomorrow.

22 it's on elliptical today. Day 16 done.

Erin, your post made me laugh out loud. Trust me, if I didn't edit the heck out of each post, you wouldn't be able to read it. I am typing this on iPad and sometimes the letters disappear, and edits show up seconds after you made them, etc. There is a goblin in here.. Lol

Millie
08-31-2011, 04:02 PM
I am not editing it. I refuse. Lol. Drives me nuts

Samantha
08-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Millie and all of you I just wanted to share I have not been able to keep up with this challenge! I am just too tired from work as its 12 hour days. But on the days I am not working or have shorter hours I have been able to exercise and its made a big difference. So thank you for inspiring me. This helps to keep me sober. Now if i could just eat healthier as since I stopped drinking I am eating way too much sugar. Its worrying me. :-( I keep thinking its a phase of recovery...but hoping its a really short one! Any suggestions on that? Has any one else had that issue?

Millie
08-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Samantha,
I hear you about the 12 hour days, too tired, etc. I've used all those excuses in the past, too, plus a million more... At the end of the day they are just excuses.... :). It is just twenty mnutes. And it really will make you feel better After those long days... You didn't think I would let you off easy, did you?

But, at least you are still getting your exercise in, even if not every day. I need to do it every day, because if I give myself an inch or an out, I won't do it at all..

You can start day one again tomorrow and you and mairianna will both be on day 1, and can cheer each other on. I am determined not to miss a day, because if I do, Erin and dragonfly will beat me. I can't let that happen. ;) The idea has even forced me to get off my butt and get it done at 10 pm at night.

You should take advice from me on this subject, as I am an expert on exercise with my 16 days.. Ok, so maybe that is not believable.. I have, though, a lifetime of experience in avoiding exercise, so I think I am an expert on that. Lol

Do you have any ideas for other 30 day challenges?

Samantha
08-31-2011, 07:47 PM
Lolol. Ok ok. I will start day 1 again tomorrow! Im not messing with you. Lol. Ive been doing 45 mins. Maybe 20 mins makes more sense. Is that what you all do? Also do you all have those sugar cravings since not drinking? Im hoping it goes away soon. Anyway nite.

Millie
08-31-2011, 07:52 PM
I do minimum 20 minutes. Longer if I have time. On many days i've done 20 minutes of cardio and then either some upper body exercises or crunches. I've done a couple of hour long Zumba classes. The challenge only requires a minimum of twenty minutes. I try to make my twenty minutes intense as I can.. It is really making a difference... Yes. I have a huge sweet tooth now. Never had it like this while drinking. Good night. Glad you are doing day one tomorrow!

_Erin_
09-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Well, so far, I only get to put 16-1/4 days. LOL I woke up in the middle of the night last night with a gall bladder attack, I tried to push myself to at least take a walk this morning but was having cold sweats and near passing out. I walked a little but ended up passing out on the couch for 15 minutes and this is the first time it's made me throw up, so I guess it's time to stop putting it off and make a doc appointment. This is probably one that I won't heal on my own. LOL I feel better now but came into work late and am still having waves of cold sweats and feeling like I could pass out. There's this one girl at work, I love her to death, but she ALWAYS knows better than you do. "My daughter has the same thing... it's just a virus going around." Well, this has been happening off and on since I had my C-section almost 9 months ago, so it must be one hell of a virus. LOL She means well, but it aggravates me because I know I'm not a hypochondriac, and I don't go to the doc unless it is absolutely necessary.

I still have tonight to sneak some exercise in, and I fully intend to, so that Millie is not in the lead. HAHA :)

Millie
09-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Erin, get yourself to the doctor ASAP!!! What is causing it! Gallstones!?

Ok perhaps that is a little bossy..lol. I am just worried about you.

Millie
09-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Are you still feeling bad???? How long do attacks usually last?

_Erin_
09-01-2011, 07:41 AM
I'm feeling better now. In the past, the attacks wake me up in the middle of the night - starting out as more discomfort than any pain. Usually a couple ibuprofen will make it go away, but I've been told the longer you wait, the more severe it will get. This time, it woke me up at 1 am with the discomfort, I popped a couple ibuprofen, and didn't fall completely asleep again. Never really hurt, I just couldn't get comfortable. I got up at 5 and that was when the pain and feeling of passing out started. After I threw up, I started to feel better, kinda like I was getting it out of my system, I imagine.

My guess is as good as yours as what's causing it! It started to bother me after I had my daughter. Never had a problem before. Apparently it's not uncommon for women to have gallstone/gall bladder problems after pregnancy. I did make French toast and bacon for supper last night, and even commented on how fatty the bacon was, and ate some anyway. Grease and fat, I've read, are the fastest causes of flare-ups. I'm no expert, I only know what I'm feeling. :)

Millie
09-01-2011, 09:00 AM
I am glad you are feeling better.

_Erin_
09-01-2011, 09:09 AM
And to make YOU feel better, I have a doctor's appointment today at 3. :) (I didn't do it FOR you, but I hope it helps you not to worry so much. The throwing up scared me enough this time.)

Millie
09-01-2011, 01:15 PM
I do feel better. Thanks :)

carol
09-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Millie, thank you for taking care of us! Erin, please let us know what the doctor says.

I'm halfway through three 30 day challenges. None are exercise, although I really admire y'all who are doing that! The first is to write down every day what I'm grateful for. AmandaD suggested that - hey Amanda where are you? After the first few days of writing down the obvious (Patrick, my friends on the forum, my husband, my family, good health,etc ), it's harder than I thought to find something each day, but worth it. The second is to spend 10 minutes each day just sitting quietly not doing anything. It's not really meditating and my only "rule" is I have to sit and do nothing but think about whatever I want. Some days the thoughts are pretty random, But it's amazing how much better I feel. This is also harder than I thought and I have skipped 1 day each week. I can't even find time to spend 10 quiet minutes every day? Hmm. Last is I had developed a secondary addiction to computer games which started when my dad was sick and I was away from home taking care of him and my mom. He passed a couple of years ago but the games continued. Sitting and playing mindless games fit perfectly into drinking myself into oblivion. Now that I'm not drinking I don't want to keep numbing myself with other things. So I've successfully cut out the 2 time-sucking mindless games, although I still play words with friends with one of my sons and my daughter-in-law and for now am allowing myself to play computer sudoku.

So those are my 30 day challenges. I do work out twice a week, circuit training for an hour each time. Maybe next month I'll try the exercise challenge. Great job, those who are doing that!

Millie
09-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Carol, those sound great. I too wonder what happened to AmandaD. I've been thinking about a letter writing challenge. Ni would have to write and put in mailbox, one handwritten card, note, or letter to someone a day. I am a terrible letter writer, but in the age of email, I love getting a note in the mail. I got to get thrugn this first 30 day exercise challenge first. I plan to do another 30 days immediately after, but am Hoping it will be easier, more of a habit, by then.. :)

Erin, what is the scoop???

Millie
09-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Day 17 done. Elliptical

Erin, are you ok?

Mairianna and Samantha, did yu get your workout in?

Dragonfly, are you on the road? How are the exercise facilities?

Christy
09-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Millie-I'm sorry I was all ready to get going on this challenge, but have not been feeling good for awhile.
Did the treadmill today. Got new running shoes and workout gear today, so I hope to get on track again.

Millie
09-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Cool! Was today ay one :)

Mairianna10
09-02-2011, 02:04 AM
Eek - no Millie. I'm taking CANT out of my vocabulary so today is Day 1. Just about to step on the Wii, thanks for motivating me to get on with it. Cant believe I had 10 days!

You are doing so well.

Millie
09-02-2011, 03:49 AM
I does get harder! I am hoping it will get easier after a month or so when it becomes more of a habit like brushing my teeth (that is what I have been told, anyway). Right now, the initial enthusiasm waned, and it is tougher to self motivate. I am worried all my exercise buddies on here are going to desert me. :)

I also know how hard it is to get started again, if you stop for a while. I always feel better when I get it done, it is just fighting that little voice that tries to talk you out of it that is hard.

_Erin_
09-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Hi everyone! Thank you Millie and Carol for being concerned! I'm sorry to make you worry, I only get on here first thing in the morning while at work... Fits right in with checking my email, so I just add it to my morning routine. :)

First of all, the doc said he thinks I'm right on the money with my self-diagnosis. LOL I always look up symptoms online before going to the doctor, because I don't like going to the doctor, and maybe I just don't like admitting I'm not feeling well. :) He scheduled me for an ultrasound Thursday morning of next week. He's fairly sure the ultrasound will show something - stones or inflammation or whatever - but if it comes back clear, he said he's sending me for another test to see at what rate my gall bladder is functioning. Today, I am feeling much better. It's usually a week or more in between attacks. This one was the worst to date, so I thought I'd probably better not wait and see just how bad it can get. Kind of thought of my mom yesterday, and how I'd have been pissed at her for letting it go, and how I want to be there for my daughter... I made the right decision.

Day 18!! I went for a mile and a half walk yesterday after work, pushing Kinzie in the stroller. And it was sweltering hot, so I sweated plenty. :) Got up and did my lap this morning, so yaaay, I'm still on track! I'm also losing the spark, but I'm thinking the same thing - eventually, it'll be second nature to me. I'm thinking after 30 days, I'm going to do my laps Monday-Friday (I already have to get up for work and the run kind of jumpstarts my brain) and sleeping in on the weekends, if we have nothing going on, will be my reward. Because I loooove to sleep. LOL

serena
09-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Hello all! I'm new to this site, although I've been reading it for the past month or so. Today is day 20 clean from hydracodones for me...still not back to myself, but I definitely need something to fill the "void" in my life, so I'm going to try the exercise challenge as well! Today is my day 1! My husband LIVES in the gym, he's actually working towards competing in a bodybuilding competion one day in the future...soooooo I should have no problem with motivation to get back in the gym! I just signed up this week for my membership (that I had let expire due to pure laziness and lack of motivation). So thank you Millie and Erin for this challenge...I'm all in!! :)

_Erin_
09-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Yayyyyyy!!! Welcome, Serena! Always happy to see another person hop in. :) I'm excited for you, you sound like you're ready to get started!!

Millie
09-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Welcome Serena. The more the merrier. After 18 straight days... I did 1.54 miles on treadmill today in 20 minutes..I am feeling much better. My mother told me I am looking a lot better, so it is helping even if no major weight loss.

Erin.. I knew you were going to get that exercise in yesterday, even if you had to crawl around the house. Lol. No way were you going to let me get ahead. I am glad you are still on track. I am very happy you saw the MD.

Mairianna10
09-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Millie, I did it! I'm not going to give up again. My BMI has gone down by almost one point.

Welcome Serena. This is my Day 1 again after a few false starts. Perhaps we can buddy each other if you are on Day 1 too? I use the Wii Fit mainly as I'm not good with gyms, confidence thing.

Millie
09-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Yayyy. Mairianna..You are good influence on me on not drinking. I need you on the exercise track too. Awesome re: bmi!!!

_Erin_
09-02-2011, 11:54 AM
YAAAAAYYYYYY Mairianna!!! :) Great job, girl! I was going to suggest you and Serena pair up on your Day 1's earlier but I didn't want to overstep my boundaries. LOL I know having Millie on the same day as me has really helped keep me on task! Can't let her win, you know!! HAHAHA Actually, it's more that I don't want to let her down and have to go on her own!

I hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend... I may try to sneak on sometime this weekend, but I really just have no desire after being on the computer all week at work. In my spare time, I'd rather play with my daughter. LOL

_Erin_
09-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Millie - You made me laugh out loud, because even I could picture myself crawling around the house just to say I did my exercise! LOL

And Mairianna - I LOL'ed at your post on the Stop Drinking forum that your hubby said you "don't look quite so haggard." Men have such an eloquent way of giving back-handed compliments sometimes! Just translate it in your head to "You look gorgeous today!" I'm sure that's what he meant!!! :)

Samantha
09-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi everyone! Millie just wanted to check in I am on day 2! Very excited to try for 30 days. Congrats to all of you for moving forward and Erin I'm glad your doing better. I'm amazed you exercise with all that going on!

Christy
09-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi-I just got done with day 2. Hopefully I can keep this going.
Couple more days and I will be doing the Mackinac Bridge Labor day walk which spans over 5 miles. I'm doing it with my 82 year old father. He is in better shape than I am! LOL!

serena
09-03-2011, 04:48 AM
Thank you all for making me feel so welcome! Mairianna, we can definitely buddy together!!! I walked 30 minutes yesterday, thought I was going to die because it was so hot outside, but day one down! On to day 2 today!! This challenge is excellent for me right now because my doc just informed me that my cholesterol is high and I want to try to get it down by eating healthy and exercising first before we try medicine. Something about taking yet another pill just discourages me. But of course, if I can't get it down...I know I have to think about my health first and get over the mental block about pills....some are actually there for our health! :)

Millie
09-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Day 19 done. Dragging though. Only made it through 30 minutes of Zumba class, then I did some crunches and weights.

I thnki over did it yesterday. :(

serena
09-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Way to go Millie! Even dragging....you got through it and did it!! :)

Mairianna10
09-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Yes, Erin, its a good incentive to be on the same day as someone else. So Serena and I will clock up the 30 days together. Looking forward to it Serena. Millie and Casey are my buddies for non-drinking and it really has added an extra feeling of accountability.

That's Day 2 done .....

serena
09-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Way to go Mairianna! My day 2 is done for me as well, we will definitely make it to day 30!!! For some reason, I'm feeling really good today! Oh I hope this feeling continues and improves day by day!!

Samantha
09-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Millie sorry you over did but thats awesome to do 19 days. Christy congrats to you too and everyone here. Erin I hope you are feeling better. I just finished day 3. Bought new running shoes today.

Millie
09-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Yay!! Good day everyone.Samantha, I bought workout clothes yesterday at walmart. Perhaps new shoes will be my treat when I hit 30 days. I am already planning on Immediately doing another 30 as zoo as this one is over.

Erin, I am glad you are too (even if you are planning to take weekends off ;))

Christy
09-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Good job everyone! Day 3 done for me. I also bought new running shoes and workout clothes to give me a little more incentive. Samantha, you have to keep on me to keep going you know, cause now we're on the same days.
Everyone keep it up!

serena
09-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Mairianna, it's day 3 for us! I'm sure not feeling that motivated today...usually Sundays are my "lazy" days, but I'm going to make it a point to get my 20 minutes in today some how some way! Great job everyone for completing your day yesterday!! :)

anna
09-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Hi Dragonfly (and all),

A good site for yoga videos is www.yogadownload.com. There are videos you can buy for a few bucks, but a lot of them have samples that you can watch (that are still pretty long) for free.

Regina
09-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the link Anna!

Christy
09-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Hey everyone! Day 4 done! Did everyone else get theirs in? Good job Dragonfly on yours today. Samantha???

Samantha
09-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Hi Christy! Yes I did. It felt great but tiring! Millie congrats on 7 weeks and staying strong!

Millie
09-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I just finished doing jillian's 30 day shred. Day 20 done!!

Thanks Samantha. Tomorrow..seven weeks not drinking and three weeks of exercise. Wooohooo

Mairianna10
09-05-2011, 01:39 AM
Day 4 for Serena and I. Well done everyone.

Samantha
09-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Dragonfly congrats on day 20! Thats wonderful on both accounts exercise and alcohol! You all inspire me all the time and the exercise helps with my moods alot. Christy good luck on the bridge walk today.

Mairianna I keep meaning to tell you the moods gets better. I have the past 2 weeks or so gotten more level in my moods. I'm around 4 1/2 months sober. If I start to get down I can pull myself out pretty well. I'm not happy all the time but its much more normal is my take. For awhile I wondered if I was always going to be down and I used alcohol in the past to push me up. However now my mood does seem to have leveled off and I think the exercise helps too. Anyway congrats to you as you are 7 weeks like Millie and Casey.

Thanks for the yoga link Anna.

Christy
09-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Well, got my bridge walk in this morning, but I think because I'm on vacation today, I'll probably try to exercise a little later tonight too. Millie, I think I will go try to find Jullians workout today, I would like to try it. I heard really good reviews on it.

Millie
09-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Christy, I found it at walmart for about 10$$. You just need a mat and light weights to go with it. I like it.

Millie
09-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Dragonfly, have you tried all three level? I have not graduated from level one yet.

Christy
09-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Millie-Thanks, but I'll have to search another Walmart as the one I was just at is out of it. It must be out for a reason. What size weights are you using? I had some but I can't find them.

Mairianna10
09-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks Samantha, glad my mood is going to improve. Definitely getting a boost from the exercise. Sometimes I sit just thinking about having a drink to perk me up but I'm at a stage now where I can handle that and I go and focus on something else or come on here.

Millie
09-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Day 21 done. 9 more to go

Regina
09-06-2011, 04:03 AM
I really need to exercise. I have gotten so out of shape during my drinking. I don't want to make the commitment yet though because I don't want to set myself up for failure. I am thinking I should get some more sober time under my belt then take on the next challenge.
Congrats to all of you in this challenge! You rock!! :-)

_Erin_
09-06-2011, 05:07 AM
WOW!! Look at all the people that joined in, so cool! Good morning, everyone, I missed you! LOL Day 22! Missed a couple running days this weekend but made it up with lots and lots of walking! Great job, girls!!!

Mairianna10
09-06-2011, 05:47 AM
Day 5 done, back on track. You doing OK Serena?

Good luck with the decluttering. That may be my next challenge. Have tried to start but it seems overwhelming. Kids wardrobes full of toys instead of clothes!

Mairianna10
09-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Should have said "good luck with the decluttering Dragonfly"!

Millie
09-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Day 22 done. Only 8 more days. I am planning on immediately starting round 2 as soon as this one is over, so Mairianna, you will be way ahead of me then. :)

Erin, how was your weekend.

I am also considering a 30 day letter writing challenge. Send one handwritten letter or note each day. I probably need to prepare by gathering addresses and stamps. ;).

Millie
09-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Erin, oops, just saw your post.

_Erin_
09-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Millie, I love the handwritten letter challenge idea! I may try to join you on that, although I think it's sad to say that that one might be even harder for me to keep up on than the exercise one!! :( I love to write and receive notes in the mail, and I have plenty of people I've lost touch with. Wonderful idea. :)

_Erin_
09-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Does my exercise still count if I choose to take the weekends off? LOL Maybe I will continue the challenge, except not force myself to get up at the buttcrack of dawn to run around town on weekends. :) I just really like to sleep in when I can! I guess that doesn't mean I can't find 20 minutes to do some other activity, though.

Millie
09-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Erin, I think you can slice and dice your next challenge as you wish. If you take weekends off, it will take you longer to get your thirty days in. You may also lose momentum. I think your idea to sleep in and do exercise later in the day on weekend may be good compromise. There is no rule that exercise has to be the same, or at same time.. I finished about 11pm at night the other day.

I was toying with idea of taking a day of rest, but ultimately I fear if I give myself an inch, I will start slacking, so I am just going to keep doing it every day. Twenty minutes is pretty doable. It is not getting any easier, yet. I still have to force myself to do it every day. I am always happier when I get it done, though.

Regina
09-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Are most of you exercising in a gym, at home, outside or some other choice? I think exercising would not only be good for my body but my mood too so I think I need to get on it!

_Erin_
09-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Regina, I live a few blocks from the high school track, so I get up and run a lap. A lap is a lot of work for me. LOL But I go early in the morning when it's still dark out, I'm very conscientious of other people watching me run/exercise. When I miss my run, I make sure to get a good, long walk in while pushing my daughter in her stroller.

Pretty soon, we're going to be moving (found a place on a dirt road out in the country, not far from a lake - yaayyyy), so I'll have to come up with a new plan. Our yard will be huge, so maybe a lap around the yard will be the same as a lap around the track. LOL I'm sooo excited about taking walks with John & Kinzie down a quiet dirt road!!! One day soon I'm going to invest in a bike... but it's almost wintertime now, so that may have to wait until next year.

What do you enjoy doing, Regina?

Millie
09-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Regina, I am doing a mixture of a bunch of things. When I go to gym, I either do 20 minutes or more on treadmill. I try to do it as intense as I can stand it, or I join a class. I've done a couple of hour long rumba classes. A few times, I made it through whole class, a couple of times, I quit after 30 minutes. I have also tried the spin and one other class, can't remember what it was.

At home, I either get on elliptical machine or put in a DVD, such as rumba or jilian's thirty day shred. I've also walked outside at least once. A couple of times, instead of cardio, I did 20 minutes of ab work and upper body weights, but mostly I try to do 20 minutes of cardio and sometimes follow that with some weights.

I think some of the folks have counted heavy duty gardening, etc. I like to vary what I am doing, so I don't get bored.

Millie
09-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Erin, your new place sounds great. You can just run/walk on dirt road... Or invest in some DVDs. ;)

Millie
09-06-2011, 08:37 AM
I hate autocorrect. Zumba class

Millie
09-06-2011, 08:40 AM
It has really been a great way to take my mind off drinki g. It has given me something g else to focus on. I've gone from NEVER exercising to doing it every day straight for 22 days. I am really proud of myself which is a nice feeling for a change. :)

Millie
09-06-2011, 12:12 PM
You will be so happy after completion of that challenge. No way could I go through my whole house, in a week of thirty minute increments..Are you including drawers, closets, nooks and crannies? Lol

Samantha
09-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi all, Christy I believe we are on the same day so I think this is day 5 for us? This is sad I cant remember the start day but I think I just finished 5 today. I guess the fog hasnt totally lifted. :-(

Dragonfly I really enjoyed your post today. I put a snipet of it on the 60 day forum because I thought it was so dead on to deal with emotions without alcohol in a new healthy way. I love seeing you grow and change here.

I'm enjoying the exercise even though its tiring I think it helps with my mood. Anyway love ya.

Christy
09-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Yes Samantha-I got in my day 5 even though I was exhausted from yesterday.
Millie-I'm still searching for 30 day shred. Hope I find it, i would like to try something different and mix it up a little.

_Erin_
09-07-2011, 05:02 AM
Day 22! I reallllly struggled with just throwing in the towel today. I'm sleepy, it's getting chilly out, and I wanted to stay cozy. But I did it anyway. I haven't weighed myself in 5 days, but today I did. I am 3 pounds down from 5 days ago, and 8 down since I started this challenge. I guess that was my reward for getting my butt up this morning!

Last night I got a little added exercise. I went out and played fetch/tug-o-war with my pit, Bucky. He plays fetch until he gets bored, and then I play fetch - I throw it, and then I chase him down, and he runs around keeping it from me until I catch up with him, in which case the tug-o-war comes into play. :) It keeps him entertained, he loves to show off. And he's damn near 100 pounds, so that's quite the workout!

Millie
09-07-2011, 05:25 AM
8 pounds. That is awesome!!! I've lost exactly 0. I need to concentrate on my eating habits next, I guess.

Samantha
09-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Dragonfly if you decide to do 30 days without processed foods I would do that. I have just been thinking of how much chemical junk I consume. As bad if not worse then the alcohol. I know I need to change my diet and that might be a good way to do it. I find when I eat processed foods its almost addictive to me like alcohol. Anyway you have some great ideas and good challenges moving forward! Love it!

Christy
09-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Day 6 done. Samantha???? And what are you doing for yours? Anything different?
Erin-great that you lost 8 lbs. I know when you see results it's an incentive to keep it up. Are you eating healthy along with it that you are losing?
Dragonfly-Good for you 5 miles is great walking distance, especially uphill.
And yes Millie Dragonfly is right about the muscle weighing more. I weigh myselve, but I still try on the old smaller jeans to see how they fit.

Samantha
09-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Hi Christy and everyone! Just finished day 6. I pushed myself harder but still doing treadmill nothing different yet. Glad to hear everyone is doing so well and you are all an inspiration. I have not lost weight. In fact over the past month I gained 4 pounds. I just am not eating healthy, too much sugar. I think I got addicted to sugar after I stopped the alcohol. So need to start really looking at that and making changes now. Hoping the exercise helps to lose too. Christy did you find that 30 day shred yet? If not I will check for you here.

Christy
09-07-2011, 06:53 PM
No Samantha, I have not found it, but only looked in the city where my sister lives. My mom and my sister are going to the other two walmarts that we have nearby. I will let you know if they find it.
I ate a salad tonight, but it was in a tortilla shell. Didn't eat the whole shell though, does that count for eating healthy? LOL! I'm trying.

Millie
09-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Brain fog has been huge problem today.. I almost forgot to exercise. Fortunately, I remembered at last minute and got it done on elliptical. Day 23 done.

Millie
09-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Erin, by the way, you are on day 23 too. You are just trying to confuse me further. :)

serena
09-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Good morning all! Sooooo I have to start back over on day one! So much for my support, huh Mairianna? :( But actually I have done some working out over the past several days, just not consistently. I have kids in college at home over the holiday weekend and a new grandbaby so my house has been full of love and I took a break from posting and sitting around like usual. Spent time with my family and then working this week so I'm just now getting back on here. But things are WONDERFUL and I'm on day 26 since my last pill! :) With that being said...Day 1 here I come, enthusiastically!!

Millie
09-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Serena, I am glad you had a wonderful visit with children and grand baby. Congrats on all your days pill free. Get your exercise in..no more excuses. :)

Millie
09-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Mairianna, are you still getting your days in????

_Erin_
09-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Seriously? So today is Day 24? LOL I can't believe I actually lost track!! Sorry to add to your confusion, Millie!! :) Happy to see you didn't edit anything recently!! HAHAHA

Thank you to all of you!! I was surprised, haven't physically seen much of a change, so I didn't think I was losing any. Finding out that I lost a few pounds sure did help to get me back into the swing of things! Christy - first of all, hi! Don't think we've ever spoken directly before! - and I wouldn't really call my eating habits "healthy," but I have noticed I'm naturally inclined to eat more vegetables now that I'm being active (although I love my veggies anyway). I'm also eating earlier in the day since I'm running at 5:30 a.m., so I think it's boosting my metabolism. And I'm eating smaller portions throughout the day, rather than a big meal at night. I actually crave water now - I haven't even thought about it until just this moment, but I don't think I've even had a Pepsi since 24 days ago! Just haven't wanted one, and I'll usually at least have one a week. None of this was planned, though, it just kind of clicked into place when I started getting up to run. I still do have my sweet tooth and I still give in to it! (Dragonfly, you're right on about the comfort foods. Doesn't help that I already LOVE cheese. :))

Great job everyone!! Glad to see you joined us, Christy and Samantha :) What happened to Mairianna? Did she give up on us?? Oh and Amanda and Counting, where did they go?? Come on, ladies, you can do it. It sucks at first, but it gets better!!

Oh, and a side note to Dragonfly - I thought you were kidding about the 4 smiley quota the other day!! LOL I just got told I had too many in my post.

_Erin_
09-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Great job, Serena, I didn't see your post until mine went through! Congrats on 24 days, and I'm glad you got to spend time with your family!! :) (HA! Got another smiley in.)

Mairianna10
09-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi Guys, Erin, I'm still here. I've completed Day 7! Woop :) Making sure I do my exercise in the morning otherwise its too much of a struggle later. Serena, I wondered where you were, was about to ask. Start again though, I had about 5 attempts.

_Erin_
09-08-2011, 11:37 AM
ALRIGHT MAIRIANNA!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!! lol I always despised cheerleaders in high school, but I rather like my cheerleading role on this site. :)

I do mine in the morning, too, because like you, if I wait I'm likely not to do it! Great job, I'm happy to hear you're still with us, girl!! :)

_Erin_
09-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Just wanted to update y'all (probably wrong for a Michigander to say "y'all"...) in case you were wondering... had an ultrasound this morning and the pain/sickness I had last week is gallstones. It's corrected by surgery (laparoscopic, though, so not a big deal). Unless it gets unbearable again beforehand, I'm holding off on surgery until after we move (October 1st), but I'm definitely getting it taken care of soon.

serena
09-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Day 1 (2nd try lol) is done! Going to the gym tomorrow for day 2...ughhhh I hate that place, but gotta do it! Have a good night all!

Christy
09-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Day 7, I think for me. Pushed myself to hard walking tonight and light jogging. Samantha???
Erin so glad you figured out what was wrong. From what i was told by my sister-in-law she feels great now after getting hers out.
Erin,from a fellow Michigander, what's up ey? LOL? Oh, I think that' a UP thing. And oh, I was a cheerleader, but no offense. Haha!

Millie
09-08-2011, 06:56 PM
As a southern gal, I appreciate the y'all! Next thing you know, you will be eating grits and drinking sweet tea.

Day 24 done. I've got to get back to getting this done in the morning. Good workout though. 20 minutes on treadmill, averaging 4.6 miles an hour. Did intervals between 4mph and 6.5. Also did upper body weights after. I will be sore tomorrow. :)

I think that is funny re: smily face quota.

Erin, glad you figured out what it is, so you can get rid of them. I hear that procedure s mot so bad..pretty cool really..how they do it.

Millie
09-08-2011, 06:59 PM
P.s.. I was a cheerleader, too, but just for 9th and 10th grades... I was pretty bad at it. Lol

Samantha
09-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi christy! Yes got day 7 done! Late tho. Serena glad to have you on board :).

Millie
09-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Good job everyone. Goodnight!

_Erin_
09-09-2011, 05:12 AM
Good morning, everyone! Day 25... seriously?? This doesn't seem right. LOL
For the record, I was a marching band nerd, so we had a little bit of rivalry with the cheerleaders at football games. Being a fat kid had a little to do with my intolerance of cheerleaders, too. :)
Serena, great job going to the gym! More ovaries than I have... I still have a huge hangup about anyone seeing me work out. LOL
Millie, the only way I drink my tea is sweet! Mmm...
Christy, I'm at the bottom of the mitten, how about you?
I'm actually looking forward to getting the ol' GB taken out. Not doing me much good hanging on to it! :)

Everyone, have a wonderful day!!!

Millie
09-09-2011, 06:42 AM
Erin, you are definitely southern at heart.

What does bottom of mitten mean.

Yes, tis true..day 25 and I am done for the day. So much better to get it done early and have it out of the way. I plan to treat myself next week upon completion of this challenge. Perhaps mani/pedi or massage. Hmmm. Got to get through weekend first. Going out of town. Got to make sure that doesn't throw me off track tomorrow. I should at least get lots and lots of walking In. :)

Oh a band geek.. Now I understand. Lol. Just kidding. What instrument did you play.

Millie
09-09-2011, 06:48 AM
I will have to make sure I don't drink either. Going to a party. Funny, I am more worried about getting the exercise in.. Must be progress. :)

Christy
09-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Erin-I'm in the UP close to the Wisconsin border. About 90 miles NW of Green Bay. So you are a little way from me. About 2 hours 45 minutes from the Mackinac bridge.
Millie-that's funny about the mitten, Michigan has the Upper peninsula and the Lower Pen. the lower is called the mitten, because it looks like a mitten. Don't you see a thumb?
Gotta work a double at the restaurant today, so hopefully will get in my day 8 later tonight if it kills me.

_Erin_
09-09-2011, 07:26 AM
HAHAHAHA Millie, band geek explains a lot, doesn't it? First chair trumpet!! About the mitten - Christy explained, but see, everyone from Michigan (at least the lower peninsula) holds up their hand and points at it to show the area they're from. LOL It's a Michigan thing. That's awesome that the getting drunk part didn't cross your mind before the getting your exercise part did! Definitely progress, congrats!!! :)

Christy - I've never been to the UP or even the Bridge. I will one day!! I know it's gorgeous up there. I just got one of those state park passes when I renewed my registration, so I intend to use it at some point. LOL Good luck on the double shift, I hope the exercise doesn't kill you! Bet you sleep good tonight LOL

Christy
09-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Erin-I walked the bridge for the labor day walk. That was quite an experience. I'm afraid of even driving over it. I get cold sweaty hands when i do. Yes, the UP is gorgeuos. Try to make it sometime.

Millie
09-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Aww. Now I understand. I thought perhaps you two had taken up knitting. Lol. I have never been anywhere in Michigan. Sounds like I may need to change that.. A new challenge...visit every state before I croak.

I've only made it to about half including DC.

Samantha
09-09-2011, 06:34 PM
oh Erin I was in band too! I could never get the air I blew into the trumpet to make noise...!! So I switched to flute LOL. I have a photo of me in my band uniform with braces oh lordy....

Anyway another day done. I did average on my exercise. Just no energy end of the week. I'm thinking like alot of you are doing to exercise early in the morning which will help start the day right and be easier. I'm up early anyway so might as well get up!!

Hope you all have a great week end.

serena
09-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Way to go everyone! Day 2 down for me! Didn't get to the gym today, but made sure I walked for 30 minutes today...determined to not have to start over again! Have a good night!

Christy
09-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Got my walking in today. I managed to fit it in before shifts tonight. Had two high school football team fans in, so had to go back to work.
Yes, it would be easier to get up early and do it, but i'm not a morning person at all!

Millie
09-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Walked outside today. Gorgeous weather here.

serena
09-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Day three done! :) Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Christy
09-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Day 9 for me. Everyone have a good night!

Mairianna10
09-11-2011, 02:59 AM
Day 10 today. This is the point I dropped out last time but feeling much more confident this time. Was a struggle yesterday because I had an early start and it was nearly 10pm before I managed to exercise. Got through it though. I'm combining my non-drinking with a lo-carb diet, which I've done in the past with some success, and I've now lost a total of 11lbs! Was worried about mood swings but so far coping fine.

Hope you're all having a good weekend x

serena
09-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Way to go Marianna! 11 pounds is awesome! I'd be happy with 5 right now!! lol I'm wishing I hadn't stopped...I'd be on day 10 with you!! :) Going to the gym today with my hubby, ughhhh how I hate that place, but I'm determined to get in at least 3 days a week there. All other days I've been typically walking or climbing stairs at my job, anything to be up and moving!

See you all later to document completion of day 4...

Samantha
09-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Hi ladies! Didnt get to post yesterday but did walking yesterday and treadmill today. I believe I finished day 10 today as I am with Christy.

Dragonfly I'm going to poke around the link you sent for the 30 day processed food detox. I need to lose about 20 pounds but I'm honestly more worried about eating better and less chemicals, especially at 48 years old now. Time to make some changes. Anyway night everyone.

Christy
09-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Day 10 on the treadmill tonight. Legs wouldn't go very fast though. Running around work this weekend was tiring. Almost gave up after 10 minutes, but sucked it up. Now i'm glad i'm done.
Good job Samantha. Good night everyone.

Millie
09-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Day 27 done. 20 minutes on elliptical

Mairianna10
09-12-2011, 01:51 AM
I know Serena, I dropped out at 10 days and I could have been up there with Millie at 27! Never mind, we're adding up the days now.

serena
09-12-2011, 04:42 AM
Forgot to come back yesterday to document day 4 done! Let me just say again...I hate the gym! lol Did 45 minutes on the treadmill and I was ready to go...but at least I got my exercise done! Good job everyone!! Mairianne...we will get there!!!

_Erin_
09-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Gooooood morning! Day 28! My girl was up all night, and I was CRABBY about getting up, but yet again, I did it anyway! Gonna give in to the caffeinated drinks today. LOL Great job, all of you!!! I have to work out of the office today, so this will be my only post for the day. Have a great one!!

Mairianna10
09-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Day 11 done, so I've past my previous best. Lets go for it!

Millie
09-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Mairianna....11 pounds. Awesome...

Christy
09-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Day 11 done. Serena, 45 minutes is great, considering you hate the gym.
Good job Erin and Mairianna. Millie and Samantha????

Millie
09-12-2011, 07:13 PM
I haven't done it yet, but am going right now to get it done. I will report back as soon as I get finished.

Samantha
09-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi all! Day 11 done!! Congrats Serena on 45 too. I try to do that about 1/2 the time. The other 1/2 my brain says move and my body says no. Erin hope your daughter is feeling better. Millie your my inspiration every day to exercise.

Dragonfly, no worries. Day 1 is better then 0. :)

Millie
09-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Ok, I got it done.. I actually got on to post it awhile ago, but got sidetracked by drama on main thread.
Thanks Samantha. I have to say that is a first. Lol.

Dragonfly...day 1 tomorrow. No excuses..:)

Millie
09-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Ok, I got it done.. I actually got on to post it awhile ago, but got sidetracked by drama on main thread.
Thanks Samantha. I have to say that is a first. Lol.

Dragonfly...day 1 tomorrow. No excuses..:)

Mairianna10
09-13-2011, 04:21 AM
Day 12 done! I'm finding I'm increasing the time I'm doing without even thinking about it.

Well done on Day 11 Christy and Samantha.

You gyming today Serena?

Millie you're nearly there, go girl! I've gotten over the fact that I could have been there with you ....

_Erin_
09-13-2011, 05:07 AM
Day 29, but I have to admit, I'm really losing steam these past couple days! I can't force myself to run the past two days, but I am power walking. Better than nothing, I suppose! I haven't given in, but it's getting harder to follow through. Need to realign myself. :) I have to at least make it to the weekend!

Great job, Mairianna, Millie, Samantha, Serena & Christy!! Dragonfly, sorry to hear you're back on Day 1, but I agree with Samantha - Day 1 is better than Day 0... and Millie is such a drill sargeant, she'll get you back on track. LOL! :)

Love you girls! Couldn't have done this without your support!!!

Regina
09-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Today is my second day of exercise. Woo hoo!! I really want to keep it up! It makes me feel healthier and happier and I need to lose weight too!!

_Erin_
09-13-2011, 06:56 AM
You can do it, Regina!!! Congrats on Day 2!! Just keep that attitude and you'll be fine! :)

serena
09-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Day 5 and 6 done! Didn't go to the gym...we don't have adequate parking at my job and have to either ride a shuttle or we can walk. It takes 15 minutes each way (walking) so I've incorporated that into my day rather than catching the bus. Quick way to get in 30 minutes! And I have been climbing the stairwell next to my office. Who needs a stairmaster!?!? lol I'm going to try and go to the gym on my husbands days to work out on his legs because otherwise I'd be in there all day with him...He's a true gym rat and I just can not make myself like that place!

Great job Regina, Mairianna, Millie, Samantha, Erin and Christy! And Dragonfly...I agree with Erin, day 1 is better than none! You'll get back on track!! Have a great day everyone!!

Millie
09-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Day 29 done
Did half class at gym. It got on my nerves, so I left and did weights on machines.
Can't believe day 30 is tomorrow..

I bought another tape and other exercise stuff at walmart tonight.. I am going to need to crank this up next 30 days and actually lose weight next go round. :)

Great job everyone..
Et's keep it up!

_Erin_
09-14-2011, 05:10 AM
Is it seriously Day 30??? At about Day 10, it seemed like I'd never make it, now it seems like it flew. LOL Yaaayyyy Millie, we did it!! I have no intention of quitting my routine, but I'll probably switch it up on weekends. Getting up and going in the morning actually jump starts me, so that's something I'll keep during the week until stupid winter comes. Then I'll have to come up with a new thing. :)

Serena, your avatar is absolutely adorable! LOL :)

Millie
09-14-2011, 08:19 AM
I did it, I did it...yay!!!!!!!!

30 days woohoooo.

Day 1 tomorrow. I am thinking about adding 10000 steps to the challenge. This next 30 days I want to see some weight loss!!!

Millie
09-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Serena, I love your pic, too

Millie
09-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Dragonfly, are you back to exercising?????

What day are you on????

Mairianna10
09-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Aaw Millie and Erin, you did it, hurrah!! You sound justly delighted.

Day 13 done for me, so much easier if I do it in the morning. If/When I reach my 30 I'm due to be away at a family event so will need to make sure I get a walk in that day as no access to my trusty Wii.

serena
09-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Erin and Millie....thank you for noticing my avatar, trying to brighten up my posts! :) Congrats on day 30 guys!! Good job!!

Day 7 done....but I almost got lazy today. I definitely want to see weight loss too, but my other addiction is caffeine and sodas are my weakness. I do believe breaking that habit will be worse than stopping my hydro's, but it's the next challenge on the agenda for me!

Samantha
09-14-2011, 05:45 PM
serena I love that avatar too. Its how we should always approach sobriety! Wake up every day with a smile on your face grateful. I exercised this morning and last night which was a little much and I am wiped now. But was worth it. On to day 14.

Congrats Millie and Erin on 30 days! That did fly by. I'm enjoying myself but discovering these new shoes Millie are too tight on my right foot. :-( oh well.....Maybe it will stretch some! Good luck on the next 30 Millie and Erin.

Samantha
09-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Christy how is it going? !

Millie
09-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Samantha, I hope that doesn't mean your feet are different sizes...:)

Christy
09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Samantha-or,are both your shoes the same size?
Good job Serena, I want weight loss too, but no matter what i eat or how much i exercise, the scale doesn't show it. I usually pull out the skinny jeans to see the difference and that helps me to keep in check better than the scale.
Mairianne, Erin, Millie keep up the good work. I'm trying not to dissapoint anyone on here by missing a day, so you guys are keeping me going. Thanks all!

Samantha
09-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Millie LOL!!! And Christy well that might be an issue too. LOL I will check that too just in case!

I want to lose weight too. I am stuck.

Christy you are doing great! Your really inspiring me to keep going on this.

Christy
09-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Yes, Samanhta, I don't want to let you down. Just like with the drinking thing. All you guys keep me accountable for staying sober and fit.
There are times especially after those weekend 12 hour shifts or doubles, that i feel like saying screw it, but I think of all you guys. That's what keeps me focused, and that's with the drinking at the bar thing too cause i have easy access!

aliciad
09-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi everyone... Erin suggested that I join this thread... I have yet to start exercising though...

Millie
09-15-2011, 03:26 AM
Welcome. Erin and I finished our first 30 day challenge yesterday. We are starting round 2 today. Join us. Today is day 1.

The challenge is simple. Exercise a minimum of twenty mnutes everyday, no exceptions. Can be cardio or strength training. A few folks are doing more than twenty minutes most days, but that is the minimum...

F you miss a day, have to go back to day 1 and start over.

That happened to a couple of folks, but they didn't quit. They just started back over on day one and are making progress, which is super awesome.

_Erin_
09-15-2011, 05:09 AM
Hi guys! My gall bladder kept me up last night, so I didn't run this morning. But I WILL make up for it tonight!! Can't let "Millie Simmons" win. LOL

Hi Alicia! Glad to see you over here! :)

Thank you to everyone for the congrats! Now it's your turn!! :)

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Millie
09-15-2011, 07:08 AM
No pressure Erin, but I just completed day 1 of round 2. Wooohooooo.

P.s. Sorry about your gallbladder. He is getting ready to get his comeuppance in a few weeks. Lol

carol
09-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Dragonfly, bless your heart! What a great set of goals.

I just finished 30 days of writing down what I am grateful for every day, and I am really surprised at how hard it was to keep finding something new every day. It was really worthwhile. Writing down 5 things would have been too much for me, so see how it goes for you.

I am on day 29 of not playing Spider Solitaire or Hearts on the computer, and I think I have successfully broken that time-wasting habit. One more day and I declare that challenge successfully met.

I have been trying to take 10 minutes every day to just quietly think, more of a time-out than meditation. I started that at the same time as the others but haven't been able to do it every day; the longest I've gone is 12 days in a row. I was going to just count up successful days until I reached 30, but I have found this little bit of time to be so helpful that I am going to try for 30 days in a row to establish this as a habit.

I'm signing up for Operation Simplify/Declutter! But I'm going for the 20 minute minimum.

Still not up for the exercise challenge but the 10,000 step idea sounds intriguing, so here's my challenge to myself: when I find one of the pedometers I know I have as part of Operation Simplify, I'll try the 10,000 step challenge.

Dragonfly, your energy and boldness have been quite inspirational, so I do hope we'll keep seeing your posts, at least here if not over there.

And, yeah, where are the guys??

_Erin_
09-15-2011, 08:58 AM
They're scared of us. You can thank Millie. :) LOL

Regina
09-15-2011, 09:54 AM
So today I am back to exercising. I exercised 2 days in a row (Mon and Tues) but drank Tues night and didn't exercise yesterday. I got in my exercise today before work and I feel good.
So day 2 sober and day 1 of exercise! :-D

Millie
09-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Carol and dragonfly, you both make me tired just reading all your goals. Lol

Dragonfly, I am glad to see you are on day 3. I knew you would hop right back on the right track. :). The farther I get from day one on days sober, the more I am relying on this thread to motivate me to keep making other positive changes..

Carol, I have not yet committed to 10,000 step idea. I am not going to mix it up with exercise challenge. It will be a separate challenge, if and when I am ready to do it. I have a fitbit, which I love, but have not used in a while. I may just start with a challenge to wear it every day to see where I am now that I have added exercise.

Christy and samantha...I am glad the two of you are doing this together. It does help keep you accountable... Of course..all of you in here keep me accountable...no way do I want to have to come on here and say I missed a day.. I know the grief I would get. Lol

Alicia...have you done day one yet???

Bill S. We need you on here... You will feel/look so awesome if you join us for your next 30. You are back on day 1 for not drinking. Good day to start exercise, too.

Serena.. You are on day 8 today, right???

Mairianna....you are now ahead of us..... You don't want to slip and get behind us again. Lol

Erin, I hope you are feeling better and will getnyour workout in.

Millie
09-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Regina..

Erin and I are on day one, too.. Bill S and perhaps Alicia, too. Let's make sure we all make it to the 30 days at the same time...

serena
09-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Day 8 done! This morning started out bad, but I made it a point to get at least 20 minutes in this morning. I'm a glutton for punishment today...going again with my hubby this evening after work.

Welcome Alicia!!

Great job Christy and Samantha!! We will hopefully start seeing the weight loss soon!

Erin...you made me laugh at the Millie "Simmons". She definitely is a motivator. When I went back to day 1 the first time, it stuck that she told me no more excuses. I appreciate you Millie for the support and holding us accountable! :)

Good job Erin! You can do it!!

Way to jump back in there Dragonfly...glad to see you!! Your words are very encouraging and I love your posts!

Carol...I started a journal early on and tried to write things I was grateful for, quotes and how I was feeling....that was short lived. I just can't seem to do that everyday for some reason. Maybe I'll give it a try again too. I think I'd have to stick with one thing a day although I know I have a thousand things to be grateful for.

I'm with you all...where are the guys?

If I left anyone out...great job everyone! We will all get there together and I want you to know I appreciate each and every one of you!!

Millie
09-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Serena, I went back to reread my post you mentioned. I truly am obnoxious..

Don't worry folks, I don't plan to change. All this exercise is turning me into a Jillian michaels wannabe...

Last chance workout........

Millie
09-15-2011, 05:09 PM
I my not have scared off all the guys......

Hurray for Bill S. ;)

Christy
09-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Good job everyone! Bill S.-great your the first guy to join us. See if you can try to get Billy, Justin, Vic or any of the other guys going too.
Millie-you are not obnoxious, you are a motivator. Fitbit?? Does it count how many steps you make a day?

Millie
09-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Christy...google it.. It is like a pedometer on steroids... Even measures quality of sleep, if you wear it at night..

Mairianna10
09-16-2011, 04:10 AM
Day 15 done and dusted! I'm on a roll and half way there.

_Erin_
09-16-2011, 05:13 AM
Well, Millie, you have officially earned your Millie Simmons title!! Day 1 for me!! :( LOL I did sooo much running around after work yesterday, and with not having much sleep to begin with, I just couldn't force myself to do anything else. But on the up side, I ran this morning, and it wasn't half the struggle it's been lately, so maybe I needed that day to recharge. I kinda feel bad not being on the same day as you now! Feel free to skip a day. LMAO!

Great job, everyone! Yayyy Bill S., way to hop on board with us chicks!! :)

_Erin_
09-16-2011, 05:16 AM
Ok I just posted and it said a moderator had to approve it first... just wondering if it will show up... LOL I haven't done anything bad enough to have to me monitored now, have I?? :)

In case it doesn't show up, in a nutshell, here's what I said:

Millie - You officially earned your Millie Simmons title, because I'm back to Day 1!! Did so much running after work yesterday, and having half a night's sleep, I just couldn't get up and do it. But on the up side, I ran this morning with less effort than the past few days, so maybe I needed the day to recharge. I feel bad we're not on the same day now, so maybe you should skip a day. LOL!

Bill S., way to hop on board with us chicks!! Great job, everyone! :)

Christy
09-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Good job Mairianna-Day 15 done for me too. Had to get it done early cause i know i'm going to have a late night at work. Big local high school football tonight. We usually get really busy before and after, so I figured i would get it out of the way early this morning. Big rivalry game tonight.
Any other updates this morning. Where is everbody? Serena, Erin, Millie. Samantha????

Millie
09-16-2011, 07:24 AM
Hey folks. I have not yet exercised today but will get it done.. Erin.. Were you able to get it in yesterday or is today day 1 for you.

Mairianna.. Woohooo on our 60 days...

And your and Christy's 15 days. Awesome.

don't let me catch up. Lol

Millie
09-16-2011, 07:27 AM
By the way. What happened to other thread??? I've tried to post, but my posts are all going to "to be moderated bucket"
Perhaps I am the only one... but no other post have shown up since Patrick's this morning. Strange.

Mairianna10
09-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Fantastic Christy, we'll reach 30 together you and me.

60 days Millie .... just amazing. Is Casey still with us, havent heard from her for a while? Went to college today to get some books for the course I'm studying. I was doing my assignments last semester with a drink in hand, no wonder I just scraped through. Really felt different today, felt alive, felt like a real student, like I was worthy.

Millie
09-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Thatnis too cool. What course are you taking???

I bet Casey is still with us. She just doesn't check in that often any more. I don't know why I have found this board so addicting

Mairianna10
09-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Its a degree course on social, environmental and economic development. Hoping it will lead to a more rewarding career in a couple of years.

Yes, I think Casey is fine too.

_Erin_
09-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Testing, testing!!

_Erin_
09-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Oh, sure NOW it works. Been trying to post this morning, it keeps telling me a moderator has to approve my post. I guess I need to quit posting such smut, negative comments, and slander! :P For the THIRD time, here is my post:

Millie, you have officially earned your Millie Simmons title... Day 1 for me!! Nooooo.... After work, we did lots of errand running, and between that and the half-night's sleep I got, I couldn't push myself to do anything. But on the flip side, I ran this morning and it wasn't half the battle that it has been this past week. So maybe I needed that day to recharge. Feel free to take a day off so I'm back on the same day!! LOL! (Just kidding, you're doing awesome!)

Great job, everyone! Glad to see you here, Biker Bill! :) (I'm a dork, don't mind me.) Mairianna, you're kicking butt this time around! Good for you!!!