PDA

View Full Version : just joined: requirements

firehorse
11-22-2011, 07:01 AM
I have been a very happy lurker for a month or so and I have to say you have all gotten me off to a great start. When I went to join this morning, the sign in process would not take an ambivalent answer to "drunk or sober." If there is a right answer, please don't screw with me, make that clear. I thought I was entering an honest community on a path. I am not sober. So I lied to get in. Nice start.

_Erin_
11-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Hi firehorse, and welcome! When I joined, the question was worded as, "Would you rather be drunk or sober?" I figured everyone that joins this site would rather be sober, or else they wouldn't be here, regardless of whether they ARE or not. You're still welcome. Anyway, I think the question is there just to make sure you're not a robot trying to get into the site. :)

Glad you're here, I hope you get as much out of this place as the rest of us have!

firehorse
11-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Dear Erin, I really don't know. I am trying to find my way. You are the first person I have every openly engaged in this question and after a few decades of denial, your short note brought me to tears. I really don't know. I'm not a robot. For what that's worth. ;). I guess from the posts I read, I was surprised that "I don't know" wasn't ok and I had to type in the right answer. It seems wrong to me that someone who still wants to drink but is interested in being sober has to lie. It just sends a message that where you are is not enough.

_Erin_
11-22-2011, 07:53 AM
That's a good thing! Always strive to be better. You're worth it, so am I. I'm not a drinker, but where I'm at is not enough, either. Take alcohol/drugs out of the equation, we can all work to be better people. If you thought that where you are was enough, would you be here? Would any of us? And for the record, you're not the only person on this site that reads or posts but isn't quite sober yet. And I'd bet you're also not the only person not OK with that. You are still welcome, and you'll get out of it what you put into it. :)

firehorse
11-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Erin, thank you. I look at the rest of my life and yes of course I am always striving to be better. I think that's why I was so attracted to this site: It's about being a better multi-dimensional person not just "not drinking." So it's a little ironic I didn't get that. Great point. I have a lot to learn, I have learned a lot today, and getting out of my own head is more helpful than I ever expected.

...again
07-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Firehorse, I am new to this site. It has been a while since your last post here. I am a drug addict, and I have learned a lot from this site as well. I think it is a beautiful way for humanity to help itself! I really hope for you that you are now sober. Yet we (addicts/alcoholics) will always struggle, and that is what we are here for!