PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

miller
12-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi everyone.
I am very new to this site, so I may get confused a bit!! I am 32 and have been drinking since I was 15. I think the longest that I have gone without a drink is a week, and that was a long time ago. Lately I am lucky to go 2 days. I am a mother of 4 small childrenm and I am ready to do this. I have entertained the thought many times before and have never been able to stick with it. I am fed up with being embarassed when I wake up, feeling guilty and depressed all the time. My drinking is starting to affect my children because I am either hungover or drunk and miss out on doing so much with them.
I really hope that I can do it this time.
I have been reading posts on here for a while and decided that this was the place for me as everyone seems so supportive. I like the concept of being a "non-drinker" as opposed to some of the AA analogies.
Hopefully I can stay strong as I know that this is going to be possibly the hardest thing I have ever done.

mysticwillow
12-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Hi Miller, Im sorry no one has replied to your thread.. but I am a newbie also, after reading your post all I can reflect back is that I am now 53 have wasted so many years just like how you describe yourself, well sadly my children have now grown up, I am facing divorce from a ten year marriage of total emotional abuse, my business failed not because of the drinking but the recession, I now work at minimum wage hard work type job. And I wish I could be 32 again. If that was possible, I would not drink, I would be the great mum I should have been, my family album would be full of great pics not ones where I say good god drunk again, my children would not have witnessed drunk rages, I would have a lot more cash, I would be healthier, I would not feel so guilty. So if anything gets you to stop, you don't want to be searching for a web site at 53 after everyone has gone.. and your left alone to drink some more because you cannot face your life without it.... I hope you get through these first few days, I am just starting my journey... take care

neil
12-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Hi to you both,just read the posts,will keep you in my prayers later, like you im new to this site also and am just at very start of what i hope to be a new happier n helathier way of life. Sober living terrifies me,which is mad i know seen as it is the drinking life and its consequences that should really terrify me... anyhow i wish you both all the best. keep posting,so will i.

mare
11-03-2012, 02:47 PM
I've never wanted to go public with my private fears and humilations but the words you speak ring so true. Although I do not know you at all, I want the same thing you speak about. I'm 56 and trying of trying to beat this problem alone (I know it runs in my family) but do not want to go to AA. Hopefully I will find support through this website.

Millie
11-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Welcome Mare,you will find lots of support here. Many of us on here are in our 40s, 50s, and 60s. I am 48. Come join us on the main forum. Today is day 60 for me, with help of great folks on here.