PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss/Diet Discussions

Millie
12-03-2012, 07:49 AM
New thread to discuss Weight loss goals, new diets, etc.
Another thread to help us deal with the "massive change" Patrick says is required to avoid relapse. Truth is, at the 90 day mark, i am ready to stop focusing so much on not drinking (versus just not drinking. Lol) and starting focusing on something else. :cool:

I am hoping others will join me on this new challenge.

Millie
12-03-2012, 07:57 AM
166/166/146

My 90 day goal is to lose 2O pounds.
My 30 day goal is to follow "wheat belly" diet, by Dr. William Davis. Dr. Oz is sceduled to have a segment on this diet today. The basic premise of the book is that modern wheat is terrible for us...poison really.. and if we cut out the wheat, we will not only lose weight, we will also solve many health problems.

We shall see.

Snow girl
12-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Good luck, Millie!
I totally agree with Weat belly author. I know for myself when I don't eat grains and bread, I feel much better. I sometimes have a symptoms of IBS, but only after I eat grains.

Eric
12-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Sounds good! I am focusing on a sustainable diet that focuses on portion control and fresh & natural foods. I don't care what health benefits are promoted, I avoid "healthy" chemical alternatives. My exercise is primary yoga and walks with my dog. However, I have read elsewhere that losing weight is 90% diet and 10% exercise, which I believe. The easiest part for me is about getting enough sleep. Sleep is one of my favorite benefits from sobriety. My goal is to lose 30lbs, but with no particular timetable, just want to make good progress and stick to the routine.

Millie
12-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Eric,
A good night's sleep has been the best benefit for me too. I used to just think I suffered from insomnia and was just not a good sleeper. I just had never connected the dots...

I think the eliminating wheat plan will force me to make better food choices. It is amazing how many processed food items contain wheat...even a can of beef broth, for example. If I stick with vegetables, meat, and fruit, it is much safer. I can still have limited amounts of non-wheat grains on diet too. I have not done much exercise lately, but need to start.wads kingmy dog would be a good start. usually when I clean up my diet and start eating right, I start feeling better and more motivated to exercise.

I am focusing on 20 lbs in 90 days, but ultimately want to lose thirty.

Tim, the numbers at top of my other post reflect my start weight..current weight..and goal weight.

Today they are 166/164.5/146... 1.5 lbs overnight has to be water. I'll pay more attention to what the numbers are in a week. ;)

ww43.
12-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Here is another good website that also provides an APP for your phone.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Best of all, it's FREE!

Millie
12-05-2012, 12:27 PM
John, i have he lose it app. i just have not been using it. Hmmm

Millie
12-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Ok, it has been a week and I now know that wine isn't my only addiction. I did fine until the weekend and then completely blew it. So, needless to say, no progress to report this week. Today starts round
Two. Lol

ww43.
12-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Millie and anyone else pursuing weight loss, I would love to join you on this journey, but I'm going to have to start on January 1st. I want to be sober and at a healthy weight by June 1st. My goal will be 5 pounds a month. See you soon!

Millie
12-11-2012, 09:58 AM
John, you may be right. I may have to wait til january to kick it up a notcu, but i need to wtch myself now or i will go beserk. My husband's doctor told him he needs to lose wenty pounds, so i think he is now motivated. When he starts losing, my competitive streak will kick in.

karenboys
12-19-2012, 03:04 PM
This is my first post and I am thrilled to have found this forum. My sobriety depends on staying connected to people. Isolation for me is a dangerous risk, and I'm sure many of you can attest to this. I have managed to stay clean and sober for only 8 months (but I'm stoked!), so I'm a little hesitant to advise; but I can tell you what has worked for me as far as regaining my mental & physical health from the ravages of alcoholism. When you finally get sober (because you want to be sober), it's really cool--really! You're like a blank slate just waiting to be written on--out with the old, and in with the new. I'm one of the lucky ones because I got past the denial, sought help, got honest, and got healthy. I checked myself into a treatment facility, got medically detoxed, got counseling, got AA and a sponsor (although I am restless with the program and seeking new means for support), got exercise, got proper and ample nutrition, real bonafide sleep, changed my thinking from negative to hopeful & positive, and I surround myself with people who are like-minded. Sober or not, life still comes full force with problems and challenges; but because I have managed to break free from the chambers of my alcoholic horrors, it is imperative that I continue to write on my new slate (my new lease on life) and fill it with healthy habits that leave absolutely no room for idol time and dangerous risk taking. I stay connected to people and utilize helpful information, both nutritionally and workout-wise (www.likeatruestar.com), and I live everyday as if it's my last (read Og Mandino's The Greatest Salesman in the World--this story about the 10 scrolls has been instrumental in my recovery and it was written by an alcoholic).

Millie
01-02-2013, 11:16 AM
166/165.5/135

Ok, I am restarting the weight loss plan with an even more ambitious goal. I want to get down to 135 and stay below 140 for rest of the year.

I am using my fitbit and have linked it to My Fitness Pal. Using both tools, I am tracking my daily steps and food each day. I am NOT going to try any silly diet, as my experiment with the Wheat Belly diet was too much trouble. My new plan is to Burn more calories a day than I eat and to slowly but surely start to clean up my eating habits and make better choices.

If you too need to drop some pounds this year, join in. The more the merrier.

Josie
01-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Hi Millie, I'm definately down for this. I am at 162 lbs and should really be 130lbs, so have a similar amount to lose as you. I've just quit my out of control wine habit and yesterday I started the cambridge diet which is basically food supplements which I know is not ideal but I just can't be bothered to think about food at the moment! I am kind of grumpy and tired though so will see how it goes. I'm also using fitday.com which has a handy tracker and a journal so I can keep a note of my feelings. My weigh in day is Monday so will let you know how it goes. Best of luck to you!

Sally
01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Millie - count me in...started my diet yesterday, January 1st. I was at 157.6 (bought a new scale) yesterday. Weighed in at 157.0 today. I am waiting to receive the Readers Digest Diet book which I ordered online, but in the meantime am following a combination of no carbs, South Beach, Lean for Life, and smaller portions - so far so good. I need to lose 30 pounds - at least.... I also picked up a 5 day "Liquid Cleanse & Flush" from appliednutrition that was on sale - have never tried one of these so thought what the heck - clean out my insides while I am at LOL

Will begin an exercise routine at the gym next week - after the New Year resolution folks clear out....Oh and I also have a fitbit - log all my food, follow my weight, my sleep, etc.. I walk at least 2 miles a day just at work...so am getting some exercise.

Midwest Sue
01-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Millie, I am in also. After losing over 10 lbs last year I stopped paying attention and the weight crept back up over 160. Currently at 159 and I also want to get to 140 and below this year.

I justified sweets as an alcohol substitute, but it's time now for that to stop. I'm using My Fitness Pal and I plan to weigh myself every day.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Midwest Sue
01-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Looks like Millie, Josie, Sally and I are all in the same weight range with similar weight loss goals. Should we start with a goal of 145 and go from there?
Today I was up a pound but I did go to the YMCA last night and I packed a healthy lunch for today.

Millie
01-03-2013, 08:07 AM
166/164.5/135

Sue,
I decided to just go all out. My goal is to get down to 135 and then stay below 140 for rest of the year. I am 5'4'', so "ideal" weight is actually 120. Don't think I need to get back down to that to feel good though. 135 will be solidly within healthy bmi range for me. Of course, when I get below 150 (which will be the first time in over 10 years), I am going to be BIG TIME CELEBRATING. Also, when I get to 145, because I will have finally entered the healthy BMI range, instead of being "overweight"...

My recommendation is that we do it in 5 lb increments. We can celebrate each time one of us loses 5 lbs, 10lbs, etc. until we each reach our goal (what ever that is). After we reach goal, we can then work to stay within 5lbs of goal.

I was down a pound this morning, so I am making progress.

I am going to try and remember to put my numbers at top of my posts each day. When I started this thread, I weighed 166. (gained a little since then, but now back down to 164.5). First number is start weight, second is today's weight, and last is goal weight. I know, I know, I like to make it complicated. hehe.

Bottomline.... I will be pleased as punch to reach 145, but ultimate goal is 135, and by golly, I am going to do it this time. Guaranteed!!!

Midwest Sue
01-03-2013, 08:18 AM
160/160/140

Alrighty then! Let's get this party started!
BMI within normal range is 154 for me (5'6"), but I really need to be 10 lbs less than that to feel good, and 140 is my ultimate goal.

Josie
01-03-2013, 01:54 PM
I'd like to get down to 130 I think, that's about right for me at 5ft 2. I think I've got a slow metabolism though as it is very hard for me to drop weight these days, a result of stupid dieting when I was younger. I've stuck to l000 calories for the last three days and the scales haven't budged and I feel bloated and horrible, but that might have something to do with me kicking the drink as well. My body probably doesn't know what's hit it! I will stick with it as I want to do this, and 5lb increments sounds very do-able. Good luck for the weekend!

Millie
01-03-2013, 08:29 PM
John, don't give my FV (fat voice) more ammunition... I put this article in the same category as all the ones that say drinking, especially red wine, is good for you, and that drinkers live longer than nondrinkers. LOL

That said, as you can see from all of our numbers/goals, we are not going berserk here...just trying to get safely, if not solidly, within the healthy BMI range.

Midwest Sue
01-04-2013, 07:55 AM
160/159.2/140

Millie, it's true! We do have a FV (fat voice) to deal with. Fortunately, battling my AV has given me a lot of muscle and the FV is not nearly as strong.

Went to the YMCA after work yesterday for 30 minutes on the elliptical while watching my favorite tv comedy: The Big Bang Theory.

Sally
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Hey - are we posting here or on the 30 day challenge post? I can't handle trying to do two at once LOL
I am 5"4" (shrinking with age) and weighed in at 157.0 when I started....went down to 156.2, then back to 156.4. I need to get in a ketosis state first - and am waiting on my diet book to do that, but I am eating healthy - gave up carbs (I LOVE MY PASTA!!)

Anyway - I should weigh in at 125 - minimum - (I cannot believe I am close to 160....I live in cords and baggy shirts these days - plus low self-esteem) and will do the 5 lb challenge as soon as I get on a structured plan.

Millie
01-04-2013, 03:27 PM
166/165/135 (going in wrong direction today due to mexican food last night)

Sally, log in here for your weight loss/diet posts. This is longer than a 30 day challenge goal for most of us because we got to first lose it, then keep it off.

The 30 day challenge thread is still for your 30 day exercise challenge or if you have another challenge like giving up sodas or chocolate, etc for 30 days. I like to think of the thirty day challenge thread as the developing good habits thread.

You may have thirty day challenges to help you lose the weight (I started a 10000k steps a day challenge this month) but this thread is just really to post about the weight loss and related diet discussions.

Of course, if you want to post your daily exercise here, too, that is fine with me.

I am 5'4" too. My goal is 135 lbs as that will be solidly within healthy BMI range. When I get to that weight and stay there awhile, I may decide to lose 5 or ten more. We shall see. I haven't managed to get below 150 (I got down to 150.5 in 2011) in over ten years...so this will be a HUGE accomplishment for me...

I bought a juicer at Aldi today.. I tried it out with some grapes and strawberries and then with celery, tomato, and green pepper. It worked pretty well and wasn't too hard to clean. I figure getting a few more fresh fruits and veggies in my system, even if just juice, has to be good for me. It will be interesting to see how much I use it or whether it will end up gathering dust on a shelf.

Midwest Sue
01-05-2013, 09:30 AM
160/158.8/140

Goal today: eat less, move more.

Sally
01-05-2013, 01:28 PM
157.6/155/130

O.K...weight it is - I weighed in today at 155 :] Don't know how I lost weight cause I had a half a piece of chocolate cake after dinner last night - my son brought it home and I couldn't resist. But am doing good today - hard boiled egg for breakfast, healthy salad for lunch, and doing a thick steak and salad for dinner.

Millie
01-05-2013, 06:53 PM
166/167/135

I was very good yesterday but woke up to a 2 lb gain. WTF.

I am eating better, walking a ton. By golly, I need to start seeing some pounds drop!!!!!!

I just keep telling my fv...stay the course.... Sooner or later, I will start seeing results. I've got to.

Tim, if you are reading, please send a message to let us know you are ok.

Josie
01-06-2013, 07:22 AM
I've stuck to the Cambridge diet all week, not had a drink and went to the gym today. It's my official weigh in tomorrow evening but i'm strugglng today! I just love food! Think will have a hot bath to take my mind off of fish and chips, chicken chow mein and salted caramel cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery (am drooling Homer Simpson stylee).

Sally
01-06-2013, 08:27 AM
157.6/158.8/130

LOL - definitely not doing good:] O.K...so I went to my dad's and he has all kinds of "crap" - peanut brittle, caramel corn, dark chocolate covered blueberries spread out all over his kitchen counter - and when I walked in the door he had an apple pie in the oven baking - I couldn't say no LOL

So today I am back on track....sort of - the neighbor brought over a plate of some kind of brown cinnamon with nuts concoction - so I had a small piece. Am sending the rest back to school with my kids.

I have decided to do the lean for life diet until my readers digest diet book arrives.....and will try to start going to the gym this Monday:] Best intentions...but the main thing is I have still not smoked..6 days and counting:]

Midwest Sue
01-06-2013, 09:00 AM
160/160/140

I did really well yesterday but I'm up in weight today. Oh well. This is why some recommend weekly weigh-ins vs daily.

Today: eat less, eat good stuff, move more.

Midwest Sue
01-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Sally,
Congrats on not smoking!! I can't imagine doing it all at once: no smoke, no drink, lose weight. You are awesome!

Christy
01-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Hi Sally, good job on the no smoking and setting a weight loss goal. I think the smoking thing is more difficult than the drinking. For me it is anyway.

I started eating more high nutrient foods as according to Dr. Furhman's food pyramid and as of three weeks today, i'm down 9 pounds. Not exercising as much as i want, but try to get to the gym when i can. I'm sure i would see better results if i would though.

I'm 5'9' and started out at 159, now down to 150 as of today.

Didn't think i would make it during the holidays, but i was determined to look better in my bikini by the time i get to Florida the end of this month!

Hopefully to see under 140 by the time i leave in three weeks, which i haven't seen in 10 years!

Josie
01-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Had my first weigh in today and lost 6lbs, which i'm pleased with as it's not even a week until tomorrow! Good luck everyone!

Christy
01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Awesome Josie!

Sally
01-07-2013, 02:12 PM
157.6/157/130

good day - did good on the diet.
walked 10,988 steps so far and still walking around the hosue.

Midwest Sue
01-07-2013, 02:56 PM
160/160.4/140

Hmmm.... Despite healthy eating (I thought), I am going in the wrong direction here! I think I need to move a LOT more!
Christy: I will never, ever be seen in a bikini again, so my hat is off to anyone who can pull it off! Great job on the weight loss!

Midwest Sue
01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
160/159.6/140

Man, at this rate it's going to take me a looong time to get to my goal weight!
Oh well. Slow and steady wins the race, as the saying goes.

Millie
01-08-2013, 12:44 PM
166/164.5/135

Oh man Sue, how I agree. I have been getting over 10,000 steps in a day.. I had over 12,000 last two days AND I have been watching and logging every bite of food I eat. SOOOO frustrating. Sooner or later the tide will have to turn.. So, I am just going to stay the course.. May crank it up a notch now and then to. I AM GOING TO MEET MY GOAL. DEFEAT IS NOT AN OPTION. LOL

Millie
01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Josie,
Just saw your weight loss. THAT IS FABULOUS. I am soooo green with envy right now. AND MOTIVATED.

Sally
01-08-2013, 03:03 PM
157.6/156/130

I'm debating on weighing in only weekly - this day by day is getting a bit frustrating:[

Millie
01-08-2013, 11:00 PM
We can have an official weigh in day. What day???? I know i'll keep checking it daily, but that doesn't mean I have to post it....

We can make Wednesdays weigh-in day. Can't blame the weekend on a bad Wednesday weigh-in... So we will have to suffer through one more daily weight post and then have a reprieve for a week.

Sally
01-09-2013, 04:25 AM
157.6/155.2/130

here is my wednesday weigh in - am no longer waiting for my diet book, going to do this right and go for it....maybe the fact that I couldn't zip any of my pants this morning had something to do with that....LOL

Millie
01-09-2013, 05:47 AM
166/163.5/135 Wednesday, January 9, 2013 Weigh-in

My goal for next week's weigh-in it to have broken the 160 barrier. I know... that is quite ambitious for one week, but it is doable for one week. Once I am in the 150s, I will be ok with 2lbs a week, but I am sick and tired of being sick and tired of the 160s. LOL

Midwest Sue
01-09-2013, 08:27 AM
160/159.6/140

Wednesday weigh-ins sound good to me!

I hope to be at 158 next Wednesday, 1/16. Slow and steady.

Millie
01-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Ok
This diet business is tough.
I took my children to a birthday party last night and I went beserk..
Two pieces of pizza, icecream,a piece of cake, a few pieces of candy and handul of popcorn, a handful of cotton candy, and a fullyleaded pepsi. I am dreading getting on the scale this morning. Obviously, alcohol is not the only substance I can binge on if given the opportunity..

I am not going to be too hard on myself, though. I was pretty good foodwise for most of last week, so will just get back on saddle today and be extra good. It is a good reminder though of how our vices can sneak up on us and attack when we are weak. I had a tough day yesterday and was probably just self medicating with sugar v. booze... They did have alcohol (beer) available for the parents, so it could have been worse. I did stay away from that. LOL

update. I just logged all that crap into my Food Diary on My fitness Pal and learned my total calories for all that crap listed above was about 1200, (almost my entire day's allotment of calories) causing me to go over my daily goal by 675 calories for the day. Fortunately, I had eating well for breakfast and lunch, or it could have been much, much worse. I definitely recommend My fitness Pal for logging food. They have a huge database and the whole process is eyeopening...

Sally
01-12-2013, 09:18 AM
I am starting the Readers digest diet tomorrow...going to the market today to get all of the ingredients for the first 4 day Fast Release portion - shakes and soup for the first 4 days, but they look pretty yummy. Will weigh myself in in the morning to have a start weight (I don't think it will look pretty).

I have been doing good with eating healthy lately, but like you Millie I kind of slacked off knowing I would start a routine Sunday...got into the ice cream last night, dark chocolate fudge to go on top and some decadent truffles my brother sent me....unlike you however, I did NOT log it on fitbit LOL Would have been too depressing....

I also picked up the habit (cigarettes) again when I had a meltdown - better those than booze I figured, so am going to try to quit those again tomorrow as well...

Hang in there everyone:]

Sally
01-14-2013, 04:16 AM
159.6/156.2/130
Day 1 of diet went well - shakes are really good - soups are great. I am fighting a headache from lack of food, but am hanging tough as I lost 3.4 lbs in 1 day - probably water retention falling off. Day2 here I come...

Millie
01-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Wow,
YOur post ALMOST makes me want to try a crazy diet again .. I am extremely jealous of your 3.4 day loss. I am stuck at my weight and it is bumming me out. I am not going to post it again until WEDNESDAY, because I am hoping news will be better by then. :). Sally, I do think SOUPs are a great diet food, since they are warm, comforting, healthy (depending on what kind, of course) and filling. I look forward to hearing more about your journey. If you keep losing like crazy, and I remain stuck in the 160s, I may just have to join you. For now, I am sticking to logging food on My fitness Pal, making better choices (more fruits and veggies, less processed foods, etc.) and keeping daily calorie total under allowance (per MFP).

Midwest Sue
01-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Millie,
Ditto. I'm following the same routine as you but kind of stuck weight-wise.
Also hoping for some movement by weigh-in Wednesday!
If only I could be out on the bicycle, but we're in the middle of our coldest spell of the year. Will need to step up the inside workouts.

Millie
01-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I did something to my back over the weekend, so not sure what I will be able to do exercisewise until it recovers. Lordy, it is tough getting older. Things start falling apart. I haven't decided whether I will just rest it today, or whether to try recumbant bike at Y. That machine is usually pretty easy on your back. I think I will wait and decide after work and see if it is feeling any better.

I tried to walk "through" the pain yesterday, and that was definitely not the right strategy.

Josie
01-14-2013, 12:59 PM
I lost 3lbs this week, that's 9lbs in two weeks. I too am doing food substitute diet, using shakes and soups and eating 200gms of chicken each day. I'm in ketosis now so don't feel hungry and have lots of energy and its definately helping with sugar cravings which I think is assisting me to not drink so it's all good. Good luck everyone!

Sally
01-15-2013, 01:27 PM
159.6/153.2/130

I am on a roll ladies - doubt this will last though....I weighed in today at 153.2 - this is day 3 - so that's about 3 pounds per day for the last 2 days. I stuck to the regimin today - so we will see what the scale says tomorrow..

So far i have made a Lemony Lentil & Chard Soup (very very good) and an Italian Shrimp & Vegetable Soup (so so). I am going to make a Kale & Chickpea Soup with Feta Cheese for dinner tonight (sounds good - will let you know). The shakes are fresh strawberries, cocoa, and yogurt with coconut milk (very tasty).

Congrats Josie and everyone else - if you are at a standstill don't give up I am sure there are suggestions (though I don't know what) on how to get you losing again.

Sally
01-16-2013, 03:35 AM
159.6/154.2/130

honeymoons over...well sort of...i kind of had about 1/4 cup of nuts last night and the night before i broke into the vegi sticks....I am doing 2 shakes a day with 2 cups of soup and 1 snack (i am hungry)...tomorrow we are supposed to start level2 which is more food, but I will pay penance and do 1 more day of the first level:[

Millie
01-16-2013, 05:02 AM
166/161.5/135 (last week, I was 163.5)

I am happy to see it move in the right direction, but was hoping for a more dramatic and consistent loss this week. I was so hoping to wave the 160s goodbye.

Sally, no way could I do that shake/soup business, but, I have decided to do Atkins for a couple weeks to jumpstart this weightloss and get out of the 160s.

Millie
01-16-2013, 05:13 AM
P.s. Sally, was your start weight 159.6 or 157.6??? You are changing your numbers. LOL

Midwest Sue
01-16-2013, 06:40 AM
160/158.4/140

down about a pound since last Wed. Could be better but if I keep the same pace I will hit 150 by my birthday in March.

Sally
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Millie - Yes - I changed my numbers when I started the "Readers Digest" diet on Sunday....so felt I would go from there - which unfortunatley/fortunately?? was higher than when I began January 1st (kind of slacked off waiting for the book to come). This is a tough diet - not so much in the hunger category (I feel pretty full most of the time), but I am a constant snacker...and am at a loss at night after supper when I cannot have anything but water...I think that will change when I go into Phase 2 on Friday....or maybe it's just I can have 2 snacks a day instead of 1...anyway even though I have been relatively good since January 1st ...I am counting this past Sunday as my new start date - is that o.k. with you guys? I can go either way - I mean the whole goal is just to lose right?

Millie
01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Sally, It makes sense to me that you want your start weight to be the same as diet start weight...

The change in your numbers made me think of my husband though. When we first started to try and lose weight several weeks ago, I told him I was going to keep track and how much did he weigh. He gave me a number. A few weeks later, he confessed that he gave me a number that was actually 1 lb less than his true weight that day.. he just didn't want to have to say the real number out loud. But, he now wanted credit for it, so he could have credit for all the pounds he had lost. Of course, I told him too late, but was just kidding. It is funny how the "unmentionable" weight has now become a badge of honor when compared to his current weight. He has now lost over 10lbs and is kicking my butt.

Josie, Are you still with us??? What are your Wednesday weigh in numbers????

We all did great this week and just need to keep up the good work. Sue, you are so right, a slow and steady weight loss will still put us in a MUCH better place in a couple of months. Just think where we would be if we were not making the effort, either our start weight or HIGHER... By your birthday, you will be down a whole clothes size, I bet. Of course, it is still tough for me to be satisfied with slow but steady weight loss. I want to see dramatic weight loss, as the prize for my efforts. LOL

Millie
01-23-2013, 05:24 AM
January 23, 2013 166/159.5/135 (last week 161.5, and week before 163.5).
I am happy with 2lbs a week... woohooo.
I am down 6.5 lbs since start.... YAY.. First Five pounds loss AND I broke the 160 barrier for first time in a long time. :) My hope is I have kissed the 160s goodbye for good.

Thanks so much Sue and Sally for joining me on this journey. :)

Midwest Sue
01-23-2013, 11:26 AM
160/158.4/140

Zero change since one week ago! Boo. But at least I'm not going in the wrong direction.

Millie, Congratulations on 2 lbs per week and breaking the 160 barrier!!
I am NOT doing all I can with this challenge. I will follow your lead and get more active!

Millie
01-23-2013, 11:49 AM
You better, because I am getting ready to pass your butt. LOL (I know, I know, you are two inches taller, but still. :))

Sally
01-23-2013, 03:52 PM
159.6/152.0/130

Well I feel good and am still losing weight. We started the diet two Sunday's ago - so it's been about 1.5 weeks and I've lost 7.6 pounds...but I have to admit I am craving a Big Mac these days and don't know how much longer I can starve myself. I just love food and really, really need some pasta or bread LOL

Congrats Millie - you're doing good...Hang in there Sue.

Christy
01-23-2013, 06:17 PM
159.5/143/139

Millie-Great job! 2 pounds a week is a good weight loss in order to keep it off!

Sally-sounds like you're on a great program too. I hear you about the craving for a big mac though. I don't eat them, but having a craving for real Mexican food oozing with cheese.

Off on sunny vacation next week, I think i will splurge a little, but still keep my fruits and vegetables going.

Sue, you are going in the right direction. Don't give up!

Sally
01-23-2013, 08:32 PM
ohhhh.. Christy I love Mexican...that sounds so good right now. Have fun on your vacation. I am going up to my dad's this weekend and he said he bought this amazing coconut creme pie - 3 inches tall...I'm thinking maybe one small piece won't hurt. LOL

Millie
01-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Wow, Sally... You are really dropping off the pounds. What can you eat on your crazy diet, now?? Still just shakes and soup???? I don't know if i could handle the diet, but am impressed with the results. You go girl. Christy, you are so close to your goal. How did you lose the weight??

I am doing Atkins mostly, but cheat a little. I am also logging all my food, "if I bite it, I write it" on My fitness Pal. I am also still trying to get at least 10,000 steps a day. So far, so good.

Sue,
Are you on My fitness Pal... I really do recommend that site for logging in your food. Keeping track is eye-opening.

Christy, enjoy your vacation.

Midwest Sue
01-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Sally, Millie, Christy -

You are inspiring me to get off my butt and develop a discipline around this weight loss goal.
I have not been tracking all of my calories in My Fitness Pal. Big mistake! I also haven't been doing anything close to 10,000 steps (or its equivalent).

So, today is my eating/exercise Day One again.

I brought to work raw carrots and soup for lunch, a zero-calorie beverage (Sparkling Ice Black Raspberry - Yum) for when the afternoon sweet tooth attacks.
I WILL get to the gym today (come on, Sue, there is one right here at work!).
I'm also going to get back to writing in a journal like I did when I quit the booze.

Thanks again for the inspiration, and Christy, you go and ROCK that bikini!

Millie
01-24-2013, 08:47 AM
Christy,
Are you still on the same diet?? You are doing awesome. With over 15 lbs gone, you are going to be sooooooo much happier on the beach.
I am impressed that you have lost so much in about 1.5 months (is that right timeframe??). Wow.

Sue,
I knew a little smack talk (and weight loss results) would get your competitive juices flowing..... You are on a roll now! :)
I got on the scale this morning and weighed 158.5 (1 lb down from yesterday, must be water weight)....just .1 over you, so watch out. LOL. I want to be in the 140s and nearing the 130s like Christy one day soon. I haven't seen the 140s in over ten years, so that will be huge.....

Christy
01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Yes, Millie same "diet." It's really more of a healthier way of eating. Lots of high nutrient vegetables and fruits. Little meat, if any. No white breads or anything that contains high sugar content.

Pretty much alot of the things I prepare are vegan or vegetarian. Lots of beans.
I still eat pasta, but it is whole grain.

Broke the 140 mark today with 139 which was my goal, but still gonna work on eating pretty much this way for awhile. I have tons of energy and feel great too! Why stop a good thing?

Millie
01-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Awesome... I am thrillled you met your goal already and just in time for your trip. WOOOHOOOO.. I agree you should keep eating like you are eating if it is working.... just need to make sure you are eating enough calories if you don't want to lose anymore...

rosbertstern
01-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Im planning to trim down 10lbs or more from my weight. I'll be going for strength training and cardio but I need to know how to start with the diet. What to eat, when t eat and so on.. I appreciate any advice

Millie
01-29-2013, 01:20 PM
My recommendation is that you join My fitness Pal, set up a goal, and then log everything you eat.. If you bite it, write it...
MFP will give you a calorie goal for each day and if you stay under it, you will lose.. or so the story goes. I just started first of year and have lost about 6 pounds, so I think it works..
Plus, it is much more civilized than a fad diet.

Of course, clean diet helps too. Fill up on veggies, fruit and lean meats and stay away from the processed foods, sugary foods, and high glycemic carbs...

We are logging our weekly weights on Wednesdays and would love for you to join us tomorrow.

Midwest Sue
01-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Wednesday Weigh-In:
160/157.8/140
Last week: 158.4
Still moving slowly in the right direction. I am logging most of my food on MFP and it does make a difference.

Sally
01-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Wednesday Weigh-In:
159.6/153.2/130 - gained a little, but cheated...so that is to be expected...back on track though:]

Millie
01-31-2013, 11:29 PM
Wednesday weigh in. 166/160.5/135. I was up a pound from last week. This morning (officially yesterday morning. Lol)I weighed 159 though which would have been another . 5 lost if official weigh in day... Weird how it varies... I ate terribly this evening, so am suspecting it will be higher again when I weigh.

Sue.. Congrats on your loss. I think I sabotaged myself with my smack talk last week. ;). You are still kicking my butt.

Sally
02-01-2013, 04:23 AM
159.6/152.2/130 - getting back down there...my husband has lost over 15 pounds and looks good - so I am back on task - can't let him get lean on me while I maintain my fatness LOL

Millie
02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Sally my husband is losing too. We make each other report the numbers each morning..the, good, bad, and ugly.

As suspected, I was back up to 160 this morning. I can't WAIT to kiss the 160s goodbye for good. I probably need to lose at least 5 more lbs to be safely and comfortably out of the 160s for good, especially since I want to be out of 160s on dr. Scale and y scale too. :)

Midwest Sue
02-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Wednesday Weigh-In:
160/157.4/140

Down only .4 since last week, but yesterday I was at 156.2. Honest! And the day before that 156.8. So I am still inching my way toward my goal with minor blips.

I haven't worked out since Saturday, so I know that has an effect. Today I will definitely get back on the fitness machines! Too cold and snowy to do anything outside.

Millie
02-06-2013, 03:04 PM
166/160/135.

Sue,
I think we need to set a challenge for this week. Let's see if we can lose.... drumroll please.... 3 pounds by next weigh-in (and only the weigh in on weigh in day counts). What do you say?? If we meet the challenge, we can treat ourselves to a manicure (or other surprise of similar value).

Sallly, what are your numbers... Are you in??

Christy, are you back from vacation?? Did you rock the bikini??

Midwest Sue
02-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Millie, 3 pounds in a week scares the hell out of me, but maybe such a challenge is the jump start that I need!
Wow, if I did that I would actually be in the "normal" BMI range!

Millie
02-06-2013, 04:41 PM
SO, are you in????

I still wouldn't be in healthy BMI range, BUT would be out of the 160s, so it would be a GOOD junpstart motivator for me. and get me out of this plateau.

Midwest Sue
02-06-2013, 05:34 PM
OK, I am in!
3 pounds baby!

Christy
02-06-2013, 07:03 PM
No Millie, too chicken to wear a bikini, plus it was a little windy by the pool that day. One piece was just fine though! Brought it for back up.

Gained a couple pounds, only worked out at the gym for 2 days there. Too much pizza and snacks with Super Bowl party at my nephews and eating on the go.

Back on track since monday, so hope to lose more than my original goal. Hope to be down in the low 130's by the end of the month. Still down two sizes in my clothes though. Need to shop for more clothes soon as they are sagging a little.

Christy
02-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Millie-I'm in for the 3 pounds by next wedsnesday! We'll see what happens!

Millie
02-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Great! We have a party. I think if I really focus and have this challenge in the picture, I will be able to do it, especially since I really haven't lost ANY weight in a couple of weeks now. I am due. :). I did fine, calorie-wise, today, but didn't get my exercise in. Tomorrow I am starting an exercise challenge with a friend, so hopefully that will get me back on track in that area, too.

Support in this effort (like stopping drinking. :)) is key, I believe.

Millie
02-13-2013, 09:29 AM
166/159.5/135

I FAILED, bummer.
I only lost 1lb since last Wednesday's weigh-in (only .5 of a pound since we made the 3lb challenge) and I am bummed.

I will NOT let this defeat me, however, I am setting 3lbs as my goal for this week, too. I guess I just have to crank up my efforts a notch or two.

I hope you all had better success than I..

Midwest Sue
02-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Wednesday Weigh-In:
160/156.8/140 (Last week was 157.4 - the 3 lb challenge would have put me down to 154.4)

Millie,
I FAILED also, BUT - PROGRESS, NOT PERFECTION, right?

Don't be bummed, Millie. Now we know that we need to crank up our efforts, and we will try again for next week. I know for sure that I didn't exercise enough.
Congrats on beating the 160 mark!!

Millie
02-13-2013, 12:16 PM
If at first we don't succeed, try, try, again... At least we are inching in the right direction. If we fail at this same level, week after week after week, one day we will wake up and be at goal. LOL

Millie
02-13-2013, 01:10 PM
6 pounds in one week????? Do I need to make you go see a doctor????

Midwest Sue
02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
If at first we don't succeed, try, try, again... At least we are inching in the right direction. If we fail at this same level, week after week after week, one day we will wake up and be at goal. LOL

Hey - at this rate I will be at my goal weight in 32 weeks - which is some time in October.
Tim, I may be lazy and slow but eventually I will no longer be a bloody failure! :D

Midwest Sue
02-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Fat Voice:
"You are not THAT much overweight compared to other people. That donut will taste SO good. Why should you deny yourself the food that everyone else enjoys?
It's winter time and you can quit sitting on the couch when the weather improves."

Hmmmm... FV sounds suspiciously like her cousin AV! Watch out, FV. I'm on to your game!

Millie
02-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Drumroll Please.........................

166/156.5/135 (down 3 POUNDS) from last week. woooohooooo. Half pound to go to reach first 10lb loss.

Sue,
Sounds like you will not be posting good news today, if your post from yesterday is any indication...
Tell that FV to go pound sand. We can do this...

P.S. I think I was helped this week by FINALLY getting "that time of the month" which at my age, is starting to be "that time of the quarter".
I know, I know Tim, too much information. LOL Hopefully, I will now have more control over my recent chocolate addiction.... I have also been walking more this past week.

Sally, what happened to you?????

My goal for next week is to lose 1.5 pounds and get down to 155. :)

Midwest Sue
02-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Wow! 3 lbs is a big deal. You are gaining momentum now, Millie!
Haven't weighrd in yet but will report later. I do believe that you kicked my ass!

Midwest Sue
02-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Wednesday Weigh-In:
160/155.4/140 (Last week was 156.8)

I am happy! Slow but steady progress, and I haven't been exercising for a variety of (lame) reasons.
Setting a goal of 2 lbs for next week.

Millie
02-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Almost 1 and half pounds is nothing to sneeze at!!! Well done. You had me worried that you were going to post a gain (complaining about your FV and all). Why aren't you exercising???? Get a fitbit and get your steps in, if it is too cold to bike. My little trusty fitbit is only thing keeping me on track. Erin is kicking my butt on the Shred. :)

You can link your fitbit to food diary sites, like MFP, too, and get credit for your steps. A friend and I have an 80,000 steps a weekly challenge going on.. It helps me get off my butt and walk, when what I really want to do is sit on the couch and veg-out.

Midwest Sue
02-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Wednesday Weigh-In, one day late:
160/155.8/140
Up a bit from last week. Finally started getting my butt back into the fitness center two days ago.

Millie
02-28-2013, 08:51 AM
166/161/135

I managed to UNDO all my hard week from last week, plus some. Good grief. I am up 4.5 pounds. Half of that is due to being terrible over the weekend and the other half form being terrible over the last couple of days. I am hopeful that some of this is not true weight and just water... I thought I had kissed the 160s goodbye for good. Just goes to show how quickly things can go to h$%% if you let it.

I have been TERRIBLE this week. I had to go out of town on business. I forgot my fitbit and was stuck in a windowless meeting room for two full days. Bottomline. I have not been exercising AND I have been eating everything in sight for last couple of days. I am working to get back on track today. I have 7500 steps so far today, but many more to go before I sleep.

Sue, good job on getting back to the fitness center..

Goal for next week. Lose the 4.5 pounds. If I can put in on in one week, I should be able to take it back off in one week.

_Erin_
02-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Oh I see... you all gather around over here and leave me by my lonesome on the 30-Day Challenge thread. :P

Midwest Sue
02-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Millie,
Don't be discouraged. Out of town meetings SUCK.
Today is a fresh start. You'll be back down next week, I'm sure of it.

Millie
02-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Erin,
If I had lots to report on the 30 day thread, i wouldn't singing such a sad tune on this one. Are you going to join us on the Wednesday weekly weigh ins??

P.S. I am noticing I am slowly losing my mind. Choosing wrong words more often... I noticed, when I reread my post above, that I had written "sad toon"... Now, that is truly ridiculous.. At my last check up, I did ask the Dr. how would I be able to tell if I was suffering from Alzheimers. He told me that sort of thing is common and not to worry about, but still...

_Erin_
03-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Nope, sorry, I can't join you on the weekly weight challenges. Here's why: I will get too wrapped up in seeing how much the scale moves daily. It won't move enough, or it will move up because of muscle gain, and I'll get discouraged and I'll backslide. Yes, I check it every couple days right now and I'm happy with that, because I know I'm doing something - inches are coming off, I'm feeling better, I have more energy - but watching that scale move slightly in one direction or another is going to become an obsession. I've been through that before, and it's part of what trips me up. I do appreciate the invite, though, and am happy to root you 'toons' on! :)

Millie
03-01-2013, 07:19 AM
What a relief.... You are kicking my butt in that area as it is... :)

Millie
03-06-2013, 08:22 AM
166/157/135. (4 lbs off)

I didn't completely undo all the damage from last week, but i got close. I'll take it. :)

Millie
03-06-2013, 01:30 PM
166/166/146

My 90 day goal is to lose 2O pounds.
My 30 day goal is to follow "wheat belly" diet, by Dr. William Davis. Dr. Oz is sceduled to have a segment on this diet today. The basic premise of the book is that modern wheat is terrible for us...poison really.. and if we cut out the wheat, we will not only lose weight, we will also solve many health problems.

We shall see.

The results are in.... I didn't succeed, but I have lost 9 pounds since I wrote this post a little over 90 days ago..
My new 90 goal is to lose 22 pounds. I want to hit my 135 goal by then... Obviously, I am going to have to crank the effort up a notch or two (or 10).

Millie
03-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Sue, Sally, Christy????? Where are your weigh-in reports???

Midwest Sue
03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
160/157.4/140

Well, I conducted an experiment. I quit tracking my food in MyFitnessPal, and guess what? I gained.
I admit that I also made a conscious choice to eat treats in the evenings to get through the dregs of winter weather.
So, I have not made much progress at all, but I'm not going to quit trying.

Millie
03-06-2013, 03:04 PM
You just gained a couple in sympathy for my huge gain last week. LOL. I have been slack about tracking my food, too. I have also been slack in the exercise area, too. Starting to today, I am going to focus on digging deep (instead of giving up and quitting like I normally do) to find some self motivation and get back on track.

If I am going to meet my goal.. I need to start moving forward (and stop taking two steps back) consistently. My goal for next Wednesday is to get break the 155 barrier. since my scale only does .5 increments, that means I must lose 2.5 pounds.. Sue, if you lose 2.5 pounds, you will be under 155, too. Let's do it.!!!!

Christy
03-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Millie, so sorry for not checking in. Busy, busy for me this week. I know you guys weigh in on wednesday, but tonight i'm at 134. Did you break the 155 barrier Millie?

Christy
03-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Erin, inches are coming off, so you are doing great! Understand if you get frustrated weighing in. Keep doing what you're doing, sounds like it's working.

_Erin_
03-13-2013, 05:22 AM
Christy, thank you!! :) That's what I keep trying to remind myself of... maybe the scale isn't always the most accurate measurement tool, or maybe it's not the right one for everyone. :) I appreciate the support!!

Millie
03-13-2013, 07:39 AM
166/155.5/135

Alas, i did not break the barrier, but i am close... If i stay the course this week, there is no reason why it will not be broken next week. :)

Wow Christy... 134. You are probably even less this morning. :). 5lbs less than your goal. Oh, how sweet it is.. I hope to reach same spot one day this year. :). How tallare you, i forget. Do you feel you are at right weight now, or do you plan to lose any more???
Erin, you are doing GREAT!!!!

Midwest Sue
03-13-2013, 07:47 AM
Erin, you are an inspiration. I don't have the self discipline that you do.
Christy - it must feel great to be 134! Shopping for clothes must be a real treat!

Weekly weigh-in:
160/156.6/140

I have some great excuses for my slooow progress (or lack thereof):
-It's still crappy-cold-snowy winter where I live. All I want to do is wrap myself in a blanket each evening.
-Ice cream and cookies taste really really good
-I am freaking old - turning 58 at the end of this week. My get-up-and-go got up and went.

Ok. Enough of that nonsense. Done with the pity party and time to move on.

What's your current favorite healthy food treat?
I'll start:
Texas Rio Star red grapefruit, peeled and eaten like an orange. YUM!

_Erin_
03-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Girls... thank you. :) Sue, I bet you do have the self-discipline in there somewhere. I didn't think I did. It took me lots and lots of tries and lots and lots of "I don't F_ing want to F_ing do this F_ing S_tuff" before I got over it and made it a routine. I guess, just like anything else in life, it just depends on how sick you are of repeating the same thing. It occurred to me this morning that lately, it's not even work to get myself up at 5 a.m... it's just... what I do.

Those FiberOne 90-calorie brownies: Not all that enjoyable on their own, but if you microwave it for a few seconds, top it with a few sliced strawberries and a dollop of light whipped cream... pretty yummy! I like to stir mine all up and mush it all together, it's kind of like a dirt pudding effect that way. lol I haven't had a grapefruit in forever, that sounds delicious.

Millie
03-13-2013, 02:04 PM
I will have to think about that. Right now I am trying to get the Oreos out of my teeth. :(. I've been really good all day and then went berserk. I think I inhaled at least 7 cookies in a flash.

Christy
03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Mille-You are doing great! 11.5 pounds is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm 5'9", and yes i feel i'm at the right weight now, but still going for 129. Some of my friends think i should stop because i'm too skinny, but i'm trying to tell them i'm not really "dieting" just eating healthier. Remember that i own a restaurant with homeade pizza dough and bread baking all the time and it was easy to grab all that than bring fruits and vegetables to work. Bad habit i was in. Also because sometimes i don't get a break to really eat i've been drinking lots of fruit and green smoothies. I've replaced almond milk in them so don't worry because it actually has more calcium than real milk that i don't drink anymore.

Plant based meals have been my focus on a new way of eating and i feel great. People often tell me my skin glows now than ever before. I have tons more energy than i had before since I put in many hours in a day at work and on my feet.

Check out Dr. Furhman's Eat to Live. Ken mentioned this a while back and have learned healthier eating this way. Thanks Ken! :) You really have contributed alot you know for my weight loss and feeling much better.

Millie-Oreo's!! You can't eat just one!! :))))

Christy
03-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Sue-Yea, i've only shopped for clothes once since i've lost. It's great to pick a couple sizes down and not have to suck my gut in to zip them. :) Still have to shop for jeans yet as none of them fit, but waiting until i felt i was at the right size.

Believe it or not, have you guys ever tried black bean spinach brownies? Dates replace the sugar in them as i limit my refined sugar intake. They are all i ate in the beginning to curb my nightly ice cream attacks! Actually made a frosting with raw cashews and almond milk. I know, sounds discusting but don't knock them until you try them!

Erin, those brownies with strawberries and cream sound yummy!

Millie
03-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Black bean spinach brownies????

Christy
03-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Yes Millie, they are made with black beans, dates, spinach, almond milk, carob or cocoa powder and vanilla. Just google it. There are different variations with and without the spinach, but you can't hardly taste the spinach in them and getting lots of good vitamins from it. You put it in a food processor or a really high powered blender and it looks like batter when it's mixed and spread it in a pan and bake it.

Millie
03-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Sounds healthy, but yucky.. Lol

Millie
03-20-2013, 05:06 AM
166/153/135 down 2.5 since last week. Total 13 lbs.
Next goal to break the 150 barrier.... When I reach that goal, it will be the first time I've been back in 140s in over ten years..

Bad news..weight loss is more due to stress at work this week than good behavior. Got a couple of work trips coming up, so staying course going to be tough.

Midwest Sue
03-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Congratulations, Millie! You are kicking my butt! Will weigh in later. 13 lbs is AWESOME.

Millie
03-20-2013, 07:01 AM
Don't forget to weigh in!!!
I wish I could say this was result of hard work, but more due to work stress. :(
But, I am happy to see numbers drop. ;)

Midwest Sue
03-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Weekly weigh-in:
160/156.6/140

I am exactly where I was one week ago, but I'm ok with that. I don't think I'm motivated enough right now to really work on losing.
When the weather allows me to be back outside on my bike, I know things will change. For now, I'm going to be ok with maintaining.

In other news, I'm leaving town for a road trip to a warmer place on Saturday :D, so I may not weigh in next Wednesday.

Millie
03-22-2013, 03:52 PM
John, I just saw this and watched video. I think it is persuasive too.

Millie
04-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Oops. I forgot to post weight yesterday. It was ugly: 166/157.5/135

Evidence that I need to keep keeping track AND stay home... The work travel and spring break vacation have taken a toll. Still walking though.

My goal is to be back under 155 by next week's weigh-in.

Millie
04-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Oops.
Weight 166/156/135.

Two weeks til big event. I need to kick it in gear. I've really fallen off the diet/exercise wagon and need to get back on quick, if I ever want to reach my goal

Sue,
Where are you? How are you doing? Christy?

Christy
04-20-2013, 06:48 AM
159/128.5/135

Hi Millie, I'm still here. Surpassed my goal weight, but now eating this way, it's naturally still coming off. Right now working 7 days a week straight for three weeks is keeping me busy. So not been at the gym for some time.

Millie, 10 pounds so far is great! You will get back on and reach your goal. Remember it took awhile to gain the weight and it will take time to lose it.

Millie
04-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks Christy. My problem is that I do great for awhile and then lose all steam. That is what has happened. I need to re-motivate. I am finding it harder to eat right/exercise than it is to not drink. Tomorrow is day 1 of new 30 day challenge. Exercise everyday, no excuses. :)