PDA

View Full Version : Random Chat

ToddE
03-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Apparently when you delete your posts, it wipes out all of the posts in any threads you had started. Interesting, I hadn't noticed that before. It's always a little weird on any of the smaller threads anyway, when there is a gap from deleted posts.

I am felling a little less random, then when I signed on, but here goes anyway.

I made french toast for breakfast today. It came out really good. I used a recipe called “Burg's French Toast” for the batter. It called for a pinch of nutmeg. I had made fresh bread for it the day before. It was an egg bread called Challah. You braid the bread, so it's an attractive looking loaf. I'd made the bread before, but normally prefer whole grains, so not too often. Definitely one to try again a little more often though, just for the breakfast meal. With some turkey sausage and maple syrup, yummy!

Beth
03-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Todd, I didn't know that either about starting a thread....what a bummer.

The bread sounds fabulous! My diet has been extremely lacking lately.....can't seem to get my head around a healthly lifestyle.....but I know what a process life is so I am not going to beat myself up to much. Yesterday I bought a belt...size small....I hope this is my motivation.

On another random thought....I heard the other day that you can only have one thought at a time.......never knew that......so I have been practicing trying to have more than one thought at a time....you can't;) so I am now practicing only having good thoughts.....I think it's working for me.

Beth
03-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Oh and now I have been defriended...isn't that just great.

Beth
03-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Ooops....too negative......positive thoughts only!

Beth
03-03-2013, 12:33 PM
In this journey I have learned that you are right where you are suppose to be. Julie remember I found this site a lot earlier than you and like you I wished I was where everyone else was/ is. But I'm not and it is what it is. Today is your day and my day just where we are. It took me along time to be okay with that. I was upset about not finding Al-anon until recently but with their program I have learned I am right where I am suppose to be. There's an acronym I found THINK...... Thank Heavens I Now Know.......and that's just how I feel.....it gives me the strength.....I am doing baby steps every step of the way. I can now see life is a process and not something you have to do until you die. I am extremely happy for the fight you are fighting! Be so proud of yourself! You have a lot going on that you get to make the decisions of how they affect you and turn out for you......you are really making the first and best decision by not drinking today. Love ya girl!

Millie
03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that happened either..... Thanks for restarting it... It is nice to have spot to post random thoughts. I like your posts about bread and cooking. Alas, I haven't cooked one thing out of that Spice for life cookbook. Have you tried anything. I also like the Think.. Thank Heavens I now know.. Julie, I think I may post that in my office too.

I had the same thoughts/regrets about not being "further along"... I joined here back in July of 2011 and would have over 2.5 years sober, if I had stuck with it the first time... I clearly wasn't ready then,though... I had more to learn and had to suffer through more embarrassing drunken episodes (when i started the night just planning to have a drink or two) before I was finally convinced that moderate drinking is just not in the cards for me. Thanks heavens I now know... ..

On a completely different topic..I can appreciate how much Tim has been suffering with his Migraine, etc. I have a cracked tooth and of course it waited until the weekend to start hurting like crazy. The pain has been unbelievable... I don't think even childbirth hurt this bad. Dealing with such pain can definitely play havoc with your mind and moods.. I am hoping my dentist will fix me up tomorrow...

Ken1
03-03-2013, 03:43 PM
I hope you all don't mind me posting here but I had a few random thoughts I needed to get off my chest. The weather finally broke here today, the sun came out for the first time in almost two weeks and I really needed it. It has been cold and either raining or snowing everyday and it was like being able to take a big deep breath finally seeing the sun today.

Millie, I'm sorry your tooth hurts, I saw Dr Oz Friday and he said that clove will numb your mouth if you have a tooth ache, just the regular stuff from your spice rack. Whole or ground works fine, hope it helps!

Julia, for me, the urges come in waves sometimes but less frequently and less powerfully. You have a great attitude and that coupled with your desire to quit will propel you forward.

Beth, your THINK acronym reminds me of a quote I saw from Oprah, she said "when you know better you do better." I like them both and you sound terrific! Glad to read all of your uplifting posts, thanks for being a positive force!

Todd, many thanks for re-starting this thread. Bread is one of my weaknesses, but it has to be something great like you made. Hope it was great.

Millie
03-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Ken,
Thanks for the tip...I just spread clove over my poor aching tooth and Oz is right.. clove definitely numbs your mouth..
I also like Oprah's phrase.. when you know better you do better.. Oh how true that is...

Beth
03-04-2013, 04:36 AM
Hi Ken! Always welcomed! I see your southern gentleman ways are still there. Glad the sun has finally shone through. I am still living in the cold tundra. Looking forward to spring to show up....any day now....not:(.

Thanks for the Oprah quote. I do feel I am doing better now that I know better! Just staying focused on that gives me strength.

Millie, hope you get that tooth fixed straight away....does not sound pleasant at all!

Millie
03-09-2013, 06:17 AM
OOOh, I Love custard...

carol
03-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Julie, yes you can and should say that about yourself! You have a lot on your plate and you're handling it. I was reminded of the gift of the magi o'henry story with your situation. You've been letting your daughters (I think it's daughters, yes?) enjoy their school year blissfully unaware that there would be a major move at the end even though it was eating you up. Then your husband volunteered to commute so the family wouldn't have to move. Then you decided that would be too hard on him and the family with a long distance commute so volunteered to move. Now the girls are PO'd of course and you have a ton to do. So, gift of the magi between your husband and you. If you feel overwhelmed, you have every right to be because it IS a ton to handle. So give yourself a little pat on the back, would you.

For me, another week, another plane ride, this time to my mom's. I used to travel a lot for work and knew bars in every airport so I could predrink, unless I had my upgrade and knew I'd get free booze. Now I mostly travel for family, and it used to be every airport I'd remember the drill and where I drank and think about it on the plane. Now it doesn't even cross my mind. Cool, huh? The flight attendant spilled soda on me and offered to buy me a cocktail. No thanks, I don't drink, says I! Cool, huh? Then in the car in the way to mom's she said she had drink tickets she'd been meaning to mail me and I said that's ok, I don't drink anymore. She said good and asked how long. Mind you, on one of my visits here I drank so much she told me the next day a devil had taken me over. And actually, since I call my AV my she-devil, that was accurate. No more, nope, I don't drink!

Midwest Sue
03-10-2013, 06:04 AM
Julia,
Such a coincidence that I read the following blog post right after reading your post on the quotes thread about Letting Go:
http://zenhabits.net/zm/

An excerpt about letting go as it relates to parenting:
"Your kids (or friends, or spouse) are not going to live up to these expectations you have of how they should behave — these expectations aren’t anything real, just fantasies. You can’t control their behavior — wanting to do so just stresses you out. So let go of that expectation and the desire to control, and the stress goes away. Instead, open your heart, and be open to who they are."

I need to try to keep this in mind on a daily basis.

Midwest Sue
03-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Serenity, I love hearing about all of your fabulous finds. Random? I think not!

I'm a thrift store aficionado (sounds better than junkie, yes?) and today picked up a lovely Italian merino wool sweater in my favorite color orange, for 99 cents. (on Sundays, whatever color tag was 50% off the previous week is .99).

This doesn't compare, however to your great buys -- especially the silver/amethyst butterfly bracelet! Priceless.

Millie
03-10-2013, 07:26 PM
I've been buying and buying and buying lots of summer clothes for the kids at our local goodwill store (many of them half off down to .50 depending on shopping days as color of the week) and a seasonal kids clothes consignment sale. Awesome buys. I LOVE a bargain.

Serenity, your bracelet sounds perfect. And so does your custard with raspberries. My mom used to make custard all the time. I need to pull out my little dishes and make some.. Are you making baked egg custard or something else???

ToddE
03-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Have to report for jury duty selection tomorrow. Last time when I called in they didn't need me to come in. No such luck this time. I have to be there at 7:30, which is about an hour before I'd normally show up for work.

Oh, well.

carol
03-16-2013, 10:40 PM
Back home from visit to mom's. Exhausted, happy to be home. Saw a sign while I was driving "Good people drink good beer." First thought was no they don't. Then I decided to play a little Q&A with myself:

Beer? Yuck! (But I didn't drink much beer, took too much to get where I needed to be)

Wine? Yuck! Bile! (Drank wine every night, glad to get that reaction)

Pomegranate martini? No negative reaction, uh oh. Then I thought, I never had 1 pomegranate martini, I had 3 then went home and drank a bottle of wine and then sometimes more wine or some vodka if I had them and wasn't already passed out. YUCK!

So glad those days are over.

Night all.

nitsirk
03-21-2013, 05:50 PM
I am so sorry, Serenity! I think my father had misogynist tendencies also. He really did treat ALL women so badly, but most didn't seem to recognize it as I did.

Please stay strong; I am glad that you will not drink. ;)

Congratulations on your new-found love, and may your wedding be beautiful!

Love,
Kristin

Beth
03-22-2013, 03:42 AM
Serenity, My heart breaks for you because I know how much you love you Dad.....remember he's an alcoholic. You didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. My dad was sober 23 years and he was still a lot like your dad. I thank god he found sobriety but he didn't work on the side of himself that could open his heart. You know there is nothing you can do to change him so let his HP deal with it. Life's to short not to make yourself happy so DO IT! Be happy! It pains me to see you upset this way because I love you sister!

Chad
03-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Here is some really random chat. My wife and I went to Hawaii in Dec. and we took some wonderful pictures. I have been trying since I joined here to put one of those pictures under my name but it always fails. Finally, figured out it is to big. I googled how to make an Avatar smaller and put in the size I wanted it to be. A forum exactly like ours popped up except it was for photography. It was so shocking to see the format the same except instead of how to quit drinking it was how to shoot such and such shot. People with 2000 posts called super moderators talking about photography. When I think of all the emotions pored out on our site it was very bizarre to see photography talk.

Chad

Chad
03-22-2013, 11:23 PM
Serenity
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! Please, overindulge in happiness you deserve it.

ToddE
03-30-2013, 06:30 AM
Attending a wedding today, where I won't know anyone. Some former associate of my wife's daughter. I think I met her once? It's over an hour drive and we are having an Aunt watch the kids. Can't leave them there overnight, because of leaving early for Easter at my mom's tomorrow. Has the makings of a long day, with lot's of drive, for something, I'd just as soon skip.

Sobriety risk = low.
Frustration risk = high.

Oh, well. Just another opportunity to practice tolerance and patients. lol.

_Erin_
04-05-2013, 05:20 AM
I know I'm not the only one that's found some satisfaction in helping others, here or elsewhere. I was just thinking... can you imagine how Patrick feels? Creating this site, seeing so many people join and watching this place thrive? Sure, there have been those that have posted once and left, and some that stick around but can't seem to get the traction they need... but then there's so many people that have made it. And even if someone comes and posts once and never visits again, it's possible that whatever they read or are told while they are here will stick with them for the rest of their lives. And even those that haven't "made it" yet are still farther than they were before finding this site, and without even knowing or realizing it, are probably helping people just like them that haven't been able to speak up and say anything yet!

Just grateful today, for Patrick and for finding this site, because I've received a lot of help and support here. I have come a long way in 2 years. Sometimes it's good to just take a step back and look how far you've come, rather than how far you still have to go.

ToddE
04-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Great post, Erin. I love that sitting back and taking a look at where you've been.

I'm off to other side of the state to sleep in a submarine tonight. Then we make underwater robots tomorrow morning. It's with the kids youth club. Should be fun.

Take care, Todd

Midwest Sue
04-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Serenity,
I am happy for you. You deserve all good things.

Sue

serenty
04-16-2013, 03:35 PM
So wonderful!! Good for you SerenityNow. That makes me smile.

serenty
04-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Love love is in your air!!! I can smell it from here....

Millie
04-19-2013, 10:09 PM
SerenityNow.

YOU go girl!! I know you can do it.

P.s. I am glad you are happy. How did you reconnect with your December man????

_Erin_
05-03-2013, 12:18 PM
www.badlipreading.com ~ I just laughed so hard at the one for "The Walking Dead" I was crying.

Happy Friday!

carol
05-03-2013, 04:35 PM
I continue to be amazed that there is a prime time show with recovery & sobriety woven in as the back story, very well done - Elementary on CBS. It's a crime show, with "Sherlock" as the recovering drug user & "Watson" as his sober companion turned apprentice.

Every episode has a bit of a recovery story. A week ago he was nearing his one year anniversary and balking at going to a meeting to receive a 1 year sobriety chip. Some quotes I liked:

"It's absurd to measure sobriety in units of time, it's a state of being. You're either in it or out of it. In my case, I'm in it, permanently." He can't accept the chip, even though he says "To most addicts, it's a treasured token, a tangible representation of their hard work and determination."

His sponsor counters with "Milestones like this one, they're yours, but they're not about you, they're about all the people who haven't got there yet. They see you do it, and they think, why can't it?" He goes on to say "I know it's hard, but one of these days, you gotta get over yourself."

Long story short, there's a situation, it gets resolved, and he's going to a meeting to get his chip.

All this is happening in the middle of solving a murder, the normal crime show stuff. I love it! No preachy, preachy, no reality show drama crap, just a really intelligent high functioning person who became an addict, broke free with in-patient rehab, who continues to work on his sobriety while living his high functioning life. Cool.

I know I'm particularly attuned to this particular recovery story as I'm nearing a milestone, but again I'm just blown away by having this woven into regular old TV show. Well done.

carol
05-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Serenity,

How lovely! Thank you for lifting my spirits today.

Hugs,
Carol

Julia :)
05-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Serenity,

I love reading your entries. I've always said you have a gift for writing and would purchase any book you ever decided to publish. You seem serene and you deserve every bit of happiness that comes your way. I'm thinking of going out and purchasing a candle today! I imagine I will be using this forum for random chatting purposes too. Take care!

AllenBerg
05-29-2014, 09:07 PM
just checking out this forum now..checking out what's going on and thinking what i can contribute.. yeah random thoughts are flowing ;)

_Erin_
06-04-2014, 05:55 AM
I made some changes to my profile yesterday on MyFitnessPal, and I was thinking about them this morning after I got my workout in. I added some goals (first time, usually I just flounder around and see what happens, lol) and the rest of them were pretty menial changes in the wording. For example, I changed the sentence "I want to take control of my health before it's too late" to "I am taking control of my health before it's too late." But in a way, it was a lot bigger change than I realized. I shifted my thinking from "I want to..." to "I am doing." It's now a present tense action, it's taking place right now, not something I am hoping to do in the future. I noticed a difference in what I thought about during my workout and how hard I tried. I probably sound like a rambling idiot right now, but evolution is always happening. It's just a thought and a theory that maybe if we think of ourselves as already successful and on the right track, that is what we will be.

carol
06-08-2014, 02:00 PM
SerenityNow, congratulations on 2 years of freedom from alcohol!! Woo hoo!! What a remarkable accomplishment given what you have had to go thru.

Congratulations also on your daughter's graduation. Ultimately she did it on her own, she had to, but she would never have gotten to this point without your love and support.

I hope you are able to celebrate this accomplishment without ugliness with your ex. Don't let him take away your joy, don't give him that power.

And hey girl, have you ever heard the phrase "don't should on yourself"? Stop shoulding on yourself would you?!

Congrats again! Hugs and blessings coming your way.

06-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Wow 2 years Serenity! Congratulations!!!! You have been extra hard and critical of yourself lately in spite of your numerous accomplishments. We see all you've attained and are proud of you, I just wish you saw it too. Like Carol, I'm sending hugs and blessings your way.

Chad
06-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Serenity,
Congratulations!! So happy for you.. So proud.. You are an inspiration..:)

Chad

_Erin_
06-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Reading that really brightened MY day, Serenity, and it didn't even happen to me! I'm glad you shared, and I'm happy for the new corner you've turned! Have a great day :)

carol
07-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Serenity, my prayers are with you.

07-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Where's my random chatter??? :) How are you Serenity? Today, is day 50. I just can't wait to get to a year. I keep yelling back at my thoughts that say, "what if you don't feel any different?" I yell back, "at least my health should be better, I should have less family problems, I will really be living and feeling life like I should be, saving money, and will be proud of myself."

Average female
11-23-2014, 06:34 AM
Hey SN! Good to hear from you, good to also hear you're doing what you need to be happy and stay away from drinking. :)
Hugs back over the pond
Xx