PDA

View Full Version : Fitness--Health--Diet

Chad
10-31-2013, 09:48 PM
I have been posting in the 30 day challenge thread for quite awhile now.. I started thinking that there is more to what I want to accomplish..

Since, I stopped drinking my overall health has become a much more important part of my life..

In this thread, I would like to talk about Fitness plans, Health (vitamins & supplements), Diet (recipes, smoothies, green or fruit)..

I feel I have gone beyond the 30 day challenge and into a lifestyle.. My lifestyle has become, running and working out, taking vitamins & supplements, and really trying to eat right..

I encourage you to join me and exchange tips and have conversations in all of these categories.. Keep track of your workouts exchange recipes for healthy eating and talk supplements and vitamins..

I also want this to be a safe place for anyone drinking or not.. I read on here all the time someone stops posting because they have had a slip.. This thread is dedicated to helping us get healthy in all ways.. Maybe? If you do have a slip dedicating yourself to anyone of the three categories will help..?

Chad
10-31-2013, 10:06 PM
When, I first stopped drinking I was a physical and mental wreck.. I was about 50lbs heavier than I am now, was having terrible panic attacks and just felt lost.. My wife encouraged me to start walking with her in the evenings during my witching hours.. It took some time, eventually, I began to feel much better and healthier.. I was afraid to go to the doctor so I decided to challenge myself.. Take 6 months to get into shape and then go to the doctor.. Well, that challenge has taken on a life of its own.. It has become my lifestyle to keep myself from Ever raising a glass again..

My first topic I would like to talk about is Fitness.. Let's talk about the different types of exercise we do.. And hopefully it will take off from there.. Or whatever you feel like...

Let's make this fun, informative, and safe.. Everybody's ideas are welcome..

Thanks
Chad

dav
11-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Hey Chad. Great idea. I just want to get the drinking association out of the way for myself with respect to this subject. And what I mean is that I kept myself reasonably fit even while I was drinking. In one way it was like a way of saying "See, I'm fine with this. I can drink AND I can work out and be fit."
But, I was quite fit but definitely wasn't healthy. I would be wrecked after a work-out or a match and would really need to muster so much willpower just to go for a run after I'd been drinking the night before.

Now, it's a lot easier. Ok, I'm only 10 weeks in and after 25 years of drinking that's not a lot but its already enough to see a big difference in how I'm affected after my work-outs, as well as how I am enjoying them so much more.

I'm currently doing a lot more, exercise wise and have given up all vitamins and supplements too. I'm trying to get all nutrients through a better diet, to be honest.

I mentioned this in another thread but I'm currently running 10k three times a week. My knees wont let me do any more even if I wanted to but it's more than enough for me, anyway. I play soccer once a week and, weather permitting, I try to get in a hike once a week too.
I've never been big into weights but I do a tiny amount for maybe 10 mins a few times a week.
I turned 43 this year and can't believe I couldn't do this sooner.

Periwinkle
11-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Oh, something fresh and new. I like it :) I used to be quite the fitness guru, then I went through the slump and was still working out, but kinda a meh blahness, just enough to get by. Now I'm coming out realizing it's more about health of the body, mind and spirit components and even with injury modifications, I can still meditate and eat healthy. I am a foodie and love to eat out and cook, however 80% of the time I now view foods at fueling my system. Exercise feels great, but eating well is amazing in how much more energy and intensity you can have during a workout as well.

Currently my fitness schedule is lift 2-3 times a week (currently doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women program; they have one for men too!) and cross train (I get bored easily if doing the same thing day in and out). I love to bike and hike at least a few times a week, but with winter coming, I picked up some new DVD's to keep things from getting stale (boxing, belly dancing, low step). I have a gym membership, but only go about once or twice a week if I have to during the winter or for HIIT workouts (High Intensity Interval Training). I try and get my daily 30 minute walk in or garden, not so much for fitness, but my walking meditative quiet time. I also like yoga and pilates a few times a week, not only relaxing, but seems to lengthen out the muscles nicely. Goal by the end of this year: Do a full unassisted pull up, both underhand and over :)

dav
11-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Sounds like you have a great routine, Periwinkle.
Has anyone seen this doc...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227378/

Initially, it seems extreme, but as it progresses and you get to see the change in these peoples lives it really makes you think.

Chad
11-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Thanks, for reading and posting on here.. I was able to get my run in tonight safely in the dark.. I purchased a cool light that I can clip on the bill of my hat.. It was 2 weeks ago today that I stubbed my toe on a raised piece of concrete and took quit a tumble.. Which brings me to my next thought.. When I fell, I was able to not kill my knees because of the knee braces I wear..dav- Peri do you wear any type of knee brace.. http://www.breg.com/products/knee-bracing/adjustable-rom/shortrunner-soft-knee-brace.. This is the brace I wear and it has brought my 42 year old knees back to life.. I raced motocross and was an avid skier for many many years.. My poor knees have taken a beating over the years.. When, I first started to run, my right knee would swell up like crazy.. I would have to ice and heat for awhile after finishing a run.. My doctor recommended these and they are a life saver.. I have no knee issues at all anymore..

I haven't seen documentary but will check it out and get back to you.. Is anybody here vegetarian or vegan? I am a meet eater so I would love to hear about that..

Tonight's Green Smoothie
Avocado 1
Cilantro 1 small bunch
Cucumber 1
Mango 2 cups frozen and cubed
Add all in blender with 2cups ice and 2cups water..

I am excited to talk and learn from you so please if I jump around to much just steer me back where you want to go..

I will get into gluten tomorrow and how much better I feel for stopping eating any..

Chad
And thanks again for showing interest..

dav
11-02-2013, 05:34 AM
Chad, I have a spongy knee brace but it rubs when I run so I haven't been using it. The one you linked to looks sophisticated, to say the least!
I definitely need something, though. I will pick something up during the week. Because I've been sick, my training has been sporadic this week but I'm presuming I'll be back to normal from Monday.

I'm not vegetarian but we have been doing three meat free days a week and that's going well and I'm feeling the better for it.
Hey, I'm interested in your experiences with gluten, Chad...

Chad
11-03-2013, 09:26 AM
dav- Not to say that alcohol didn't make me feel like crap, but it was not the only reason..when I stopped drinking I wanted a complete fresh start, I guess a redo. I had spent so much time analyzing my bad behavior that I thought it all boiled down to that.. What I wasn't thinking of was all those nice dinners out while drinking 2 bottles of wine.. The bread before the meal and the pasta with.. All the yummy baked deserts after the meal.. No it wasn't just the wines fault for my bloated miserable stomached..
When I quit drinking, I decided to stop eating all white flour and cut out sugar as much as possible.. I was amazed at how much sugar is added into everything! So back to the gluten thing.. After, stopping all white flour I noticed a big change in how I felt, so went even as far as cutting out whole grains.. I began to notice how much easier it was to loose weight, also.. I eat a completely gluten free diet now, and have for over a year.. Turns out without even knowing it I am gluten intolerant.. Another benefit to quitting drinking finding that out.. Have to be careful if you are going to substitute alternatives to gluten.. Many thing are tapioca based or rice flour and have a very high glycemic index..

Ran 8 miles 7 minute miles this morning feeling all endorphined up right now!

Chad
Xx

Chad
11-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Also, wanted to mention my family has a history of having thyroid issues.. Gluten closely resembles on a molecular level hormones the thyroid produces.. When I finally went to the doctor I was diagnosed with hypothyroid.. Hoping in next blood test my levels will be back in range.

Chad
Xx

Chad
11-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Morning Oatmeal
1/2 cup organic gluten free oatmeal (can be processed in a plant that also does wheat products)
1cup water add organic raisins
Microwave 50% power for 5 minutes
Add table spoon of hemp seeds
Add table spoon of chia seeds
Add small amount of organic walnuts
Add 1/4 cup whole organic milk
Powdered cinnamon to sweeten
Stir all together and enjoy.. One heck of a good, positive, tasty, no guilt food..:)

Chad
Xx

Periwinkle
11-03-2013, 07:34 PM
My orthopedic doctor wanted me off braces so that I can strengthen my muscles up around my knee so that when I get the ACL reconstructed, I will recover quicker. I was scheduled for surgery last February, but had a car accident that resulted in a fractured skull and TBI, so I couldn't get medical clearance. Hoping for an all clear by January :)

I too have cut back significantly on my gluten intake (not completely) and have found most of my digestive issues I had been suffering with went away. Also my thyroid issues (used to be hyper, but through years of medication, I started to become hypo. After this gluten change, and cutting most processed foods and eating more raw veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds, I am no longer needing to be on meds. I do think diet really does play a big part in helping if not curing many of our ailments. I love meat too much to be a vegetarian though, esp since it's one of the easiest way to get protein other than protein powders. I do limit my beef intake to 3 times a month, twice as steak and once as a big juicy burger. Mainly poultry and fish gal, occasionally doing some wild game.

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead is a great documentary! I always ate somewhat healthy, but since I took it a step up, I've really become more aware of what I put in my mouth and see it as fuel. 80% of the time that is. I am a foodie and will still indulge on something fried, greasy, fatty, and not feel guilty about it 20% of the time :) Plus, weight lifting has really boosted my metabolism and I can eat more now without gaining as easily. When I was first down with my knee injury and couldn't drive or hardly walk, I watched alot of food documentaries cause diet was one thing I could still have control over :)

My morning oatmeal is almost similar to yours Chad, but I add pumpkin and flax seeds. I use this blend called Qia to add to my yogurts to get my chia seeds in :)

Here we are talking about healthy eating and I'm now eating a pizza as I type this on my cheat day!

dav
11-04-2013, 05:21 AM
Well, you guys are really a motivation in how you are approaching health. I'm really glad to have met you as it inspires me to push on further and to keep improving.
It's amazing how we can create benefits for ourselves and the power was always in our own hands but we weren't truly aware of it.
Changing ourselves like this is almost like putting our bodies into a time machine and going back 20 years, if you think about it.
By eliminating alcohol, bad food habits, exercising more and being mentally focused and clear it just shows you what we are capable of.
Lets keep it up :-)

Periwinkle
11-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Being healthy to me is taking care of the body, mind and spirit so taking quiet time for walks, meditation and yoga I think is beneficial. For some who are easily distracted with thoughts, a guided visual meditation can be a great alternative to quieting the mind down. Each day will be about 10-12 minutes for 21 days. This first day is a bit longer, because of the introduction from the cinematographer of the series. Then it has a mentor speak for a bit, then goes into the "quiet" time with beautiful imagery. Anyways, it's just 15 minutes of your 1440 minute day, that's like 1% Aren't you worth that 1%? :) http://www.mentorschannel.com/LouieSchwartzberg/21DaysofGratitude/Program/8752/

dav
11-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Cheers for that, Periwinkle. I'm dropping the kids to school now but will check back with you guys later.

Chad
11-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Very excited! We went in with four other families and bought a grass fed steer.. My wife went out on the ranch and picked him out he had never been corralled before.. He grew up in the open grass lands.. Never pumped full of hormones and fed corn.. Just your normal good grasses.. we also are getting our Thanksgiving Turkey this year the same way.. Wife has a good friend who raised them on her property and they eat only organic scraps and feed.. I make no apologies for being a meat eater but I believe it should be done with decency and the utmost respect for the animals.. I have big problems with the Corporate version of this.. Watch the movie Food Inc. it will show you what I am talking about..
dav-Peri, thanks for your contributions here.. They are invaluable...:)
butterfly, please come join us whenever you are ready..:)

Chad
Xx

Chad
11-05-2013, 11:08 PM
To all you runners out there, I learned a big lesson yesterday.. I get my running shoes at a great non chain store.. The owner is a triathlete and really knows his stuff.. I was starting to have sore feet and ankles and couldn't figure out why.. I have been getting the same shoes for awhile now and have really enjoyed them until about 2 weeks ago.. He asked me how often I run and how far.. You should replace your shoes every 3 to 4 hundred miles.. It is expensive but my new shoes are like running on a cloud again.. I will keep track of my mileage from now on and change them according..

Major green smoothie tonight
1 carrot
1 apple
1 avocado
1 large bunch fresh salad greens
1 orange
2 stalks of celery
1 frozen banana
4 kale stalks
2 cups water
2 cups ice
https://secure.vitamix.com
I encourage all smoothie drinkers to look at the VitaMix blender.. Expensive, but so was alcohol.. There is no better blender to make a smoothie with.. I have had mine for many years and it still works like brand new.. No job it can't handle!

Chad
Xx

dav
11-06-2013, 04:08 PM
It's been a crazy day as the car broke down and all organization went out the window but just checking in. Hope everyone is doing well.

I saw this doc had arrived on Netflix and thought of you, Chad...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2433336/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Chad
11-06-2013, 10:09 PM
dav-- That guy is totally awesome!! I live in kind of a unique area.. I live on a golf course but about 25 miles away are Dairy farms.. Seeing, how the cows in the movie are treated compared to the shit filled corrals with 100's of cows here is amazing.. Still a little scared to drink raw unpasteurized milk though.. Is that more prevelant in Europe? The laws in the US would probably make it impossible for him to succeed here.. Or at least turn a profit anyway..
Thanks I really enjoyed it..
Hope all worked out with broken car.? :(
Chad
Xx

dav
11-07-2013, 02:56 AM
Chad, no, you would have to go to a health store to buy unpasteurized milk in Ireland.

Ach, the car! Don't talk to me :-( 500 euro to get it repaired, what a disaster!

I return to 'proper' training for the first time in two weeks tonight and I'm hoping my knee holds up. My cough is finally abating and the mini sugar feast is behind me.
Hope everyone is healthy and doing well.

Periwinkle
11-07-2013, 11:59 AM
I love my Vitamixer! Last Christmas I asked everyone to get me a gift certificate to Bed Bath and Beyond (birthday too since it's around that time of year). I went the first week of January with my gift cards, a 20% off coupon and it was on sale for $100 off. Came out paying only $36.82 for it! I use it almost every day, even started making soups with it when I discovered that left on high for 3-4 minutes, it heats things up so I don't have to food process things, then put in a pan to heat up :)

The Moo Man I have not watched, will look for it on Netflix and que it for a rainy day off from work :) The gov't has been cracking down on unpasteurized milk farmers here, making it very difficult to sell raw milk. I find that ironic that they are concerned for our safety, yet these modern daily farms are pumping all kinds of chemicals into the cows. Good Q&A section: http://www.realmilk.com/ If I had easier access to it, I would switch over. For now I have to stick to organic non-steroid/antibiotic stuff from Whole Foods.

Chad
11-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Whole Foods, I think sometimes is my new liquor store..:)

Periwinkle
11-08-2013, 09:43 AM
hahah, yeah, all the money I save on booze is now going to organic foods :)

When my other half got out of recovery, he was hooked on these fruit chew things they gave him in rehab. He never liked candy before, so it raised an eyebrow with me when we went on a scavenger hunt trying to find these things. However I have noticed after about 30 days, I too am having a sweet tooth like you won't believe. Maybe it's the cold weather too, but I want cakes, ice cream and candy, in particular hard candies which is just pure sugar. I have even gotten up in the middle of the night feeding myself a spoonful or two of brown sugar. Anybody else have weird cravings in the beginning?

dav
11-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Lol, Periwinkle...spoonfuls of brown sugar!!!???
I can well believe that the body can direct us to eat certain foods if the y contain nutrients we may not know we need. I think there's a medical condition called Pica (?) something along those lines.
I have definitely been eating more treats but I've managed to curb the habit over the last week, thankfully.

I managed an 8k run today and that was after a training session last night as well so I'm happy with that.
I'll rest tomorrow and try a 10k on Sunday.
Hope everyone is doing well.

Chad
11-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Nice to hear from both of you.. I posted an article months back about how sugar and alcohol stimulate the same parts of the brain.. I will try to find it again.. It will help answer some of the craving questions..

Chad
Xx

Average female
11-09-2013, 03:44 PM
You are all talking a different language.
Healthy to me is a week where I avoid a take away, having given up wine I just drink more diet 'soda'.. In fact, I'm supping on one now!
I feel out of my depth with all your yoghurt knitting alfalfa farming...
Chad- does that mean you're doing Atkins?
Phew - I think I need a lie down. Feeling jolly sluggish and have a headache ;)

Average female
11-09-2013, 03:55 PM
I just caught the end of man vs food - I know what you're really up to...

Chad
11-09-2013, 06:38 PM
AF,
You crack me up!! I look at this as a victory.. I got you to post on here..:) Next, we need to have a chat about all that soda intake.. Baby steps!! I am just thrilled you were able to post with all the horrible symptoms it was causing you.:) I hope once you exited out of this dreadful place you were able to recover..

Chad
Xx

Average female
11-10-2013, 05:32 AM
Indeed, so inspired by this thread I have just had a big pile of yuzu fruit for breakfast... I am SO over the Acai berries now..
(Washed down with a diet coke :o)

Average female
11-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Joking aside, I managed 5k on treadmill today. Granted, it was in 47.5 mins. Fast walking. I intend to bore you all with very slow progress until I get to 5k in 30 mins.
I really enjoy the endorphins and like what exercise is doing to my shape.
Oh and I do drink water when exercising. It's my one relief from the soda.
I'm going to drink a litre of water a day too.
No green drinks though. Ew..

_Erin_
11-11-2013, 08:26 AM
"Yoghurt knitting alfalfa farming..." LMAO!! That was too funny... nearly spit my coffee out on my computer screen.

I had a bowl of Special K with a sliced-up banana for breakfast this morning. Lunch is a salad (super-cool side note... my daughter also loves her veggies and together, she and I made our own salads for lunch yesterday) consisting of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, green pepper, mozz cheese, ranch dressing and a couple pieces of popcorn chicken, left over from the boyfriend being hungry after grocery shopping last night. :) Dinner will be leftover chili. Snacks in between will be tropical trail mix or Wheat Thins or Triscuits. Yes, I eat a lot of fiber. :)

I am promising myself 5 days... just 5 days... of pushing myself extra hard in the exercise department. Five consecutive days of the 69-minute workout I did last week. When I accomplish that, my reward will be the weekend off from diet and exercise. I seem to be wanting to "just be lazy" lately, I don't know if it's the pending onset of winter or what. But what's cool is if I make it through 5 days, I will feel better than I do right now, and the "weekend off" will probably not seem as enticing as it does now, so I probably won't blow it as badly. lmao

Chad
11-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Erin-- so happy to hear from you!! :)

It's always good to take a few days off to recharge the batteries.. The body rebuilds and the mind misses the endorphins.. Just don't take off to long or you loose the rhythm..:)
Good to see you here..:)

Chad
Xx

_Erin_
11-11-2013, 06:53 PM
A few days, yes. A few weeks, which is what I did, does exactly what you said - made me lose my rhythm.

Day 1 of my 5-day promise fulfilled. Last time, I did three Level 1's. This time, I did two Level 1's and one Level 3... and tomorrow, the higher level comes first. lmao That was a dumb move...

Average female
11-12-2013, 04:39 PM
So.. 5k in 44 mins yesterday and 4k tonight...
I like it... I like the way it changes your body shape so quickly..
Someone said I was disappearing today - fab... Must be all the quinoa and mung beans...
I read an article in the paper about chad's green drinks... Apparently they're very 'now' (get you chad?? Give it a few months and the fanny packs will be flying off the shelves.. Albeit renamed for the purposes of UK retail as we've already established.).
You can't get a juicer in the uk for love nor money...
BUT, they were saying while they can be used as an aid to a good diet. And can be used very short term for weight loss, they can't be used long term as you lose all the fibre. And that juice alone does not contain enough protein or fats longer term..
Frankly, they sound minging so you can keep them,
AF
Xx

Average female
11-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Now... Erin, are the 'levels' like the 'steps' in the other thread? I do easily get behind with all this jargon...

_Erin_
11-12-2013, 08:00 PM
I got Day 2 of 5 done. Barely. lol

AF, what I am doing is Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred. It's a 20 (25)-minute workout - 3 sets of this: 3 minutes of strength training, 2 minutes of cardio, 1 minute of abs in each workout. There are three levels (so 3 different workouts). Supposedly, each level is a step up, but personally I find Level 2 the most challenging of all of them. Level 3 is the most fun because it moves the fastest. lol

But I am doing three workouts a night because one workout seemed to be just maintaining my current weight now, and because I took a month off from doing anything and I guess this is my form of punishment for allowing myself to lose some of the progress I'd made before quitting. :)

Chad
11-12-2013, 11:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9g8eEYwtfSo

My wife sent this YouTube video to me.. It is a conference where a cardiologist is giving a seminar on the dangers of running to far at to fast a pace.. It has really made me think about my goals as far as running are concerned.. It is 21 minutes but I think it is well worth the time...

Chad
Xx

Chad
11-12-2013, 11:57 PM
AF,
The article you read is correct.. I only juice if I feel I need a shot of major vitamins, right now!! This is a Green Drink..

What you have done AF, is turned my Green Smoothie into a Green Drink.. Both Green :) but two different kinds of drinks.. I make a Green Smoothie every night.. I get all the great fiber, fats, and protein because I blend it all together and drink.. Every Smoothie I make I add an Avocado, there's your fat.. Or if you don't have an avocado you can use organic coconut oil.. The whole fruits and veggies I use are full of fiber and proteins..

Thanks for taking the time to read up on it though.. Maybe? In time, I will be able to convince you.. :)

Chad
Xx

Average female
11-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Nope. You can stick your green drinks.

Average female
11-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Erin, I think you mistyped. You said 3 workouts a NIGHT?
I've heard of shred. In fact a couple of mates do it and swear by it. Good for the tummy???
I did 4.5 k but in 40 minutes so not speeding up too much, that's obviously on the back of chads post above. Don't want to be risking my health now... That, and the fact I had a number of interruptions tonight.
Joking aside, I can really feel a change to my body shape, it's reacting to the exercise really quickly which I'm pleased about. Is it true there are different types of body that react differently to exercise? Or maybe it's just if you're an overweight fat fuck you're likely to lose weight quicker. Either way, pleased with progress.
XX

Average female
11-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Chad, you're green 'smoothie' .. Is it green and is it a drink?
Well, it's a green drink.

dav
11-14-2013, 04:42 AM
I've heard of a few instances where seemingly healthy people suffer heart attacks while running. It seems to have a lot to do with speed, as mentioned, and training for too long with respect to distance. I think its quite prevalent in marathon runners, people who are doing 20 miles a stint a few times a week, especially.
Hopefully, a few 10ks a week, at a reasonable speed will keep me out of danger.

Average female
11-14-2013, 05:14 AM
Keeners... The lot of you :-(

Chad
11-14-2013, 10:12 AM
dav
In the video he mentions his best friend who happens to be a cardiologist takes meds to stop heart issues in 5k and 10k distances.. But, that doesn't seem to be the norm those are the distances we should run..
His whole point is that running marathons is not the healthy lifestyle we like to think it is.. Train and run a marathon, once in your life, if you want, but then move on.. He also mentions a women who is his patient, she is a triathlete, she finishes only 50% of the time.. She either wins or she passes out..
I already did something super unhealthy.. I am trying to do this right.. dav, your running regiment sounds pretty much what the doctor recommends..

Chad
Xx

dav
11-14-2013, 11:39 AM
You know, I would be almost fearful about taking it beyond that distance now, Chad. I do some hiking too which is obviously over a longer mile radius, up mountains and hills and so on, but the pace is balanced with many downhill sections to offset the heart rate that builds from the steep climbs.
When I was around 16 I read Stephen Kings novel 'Thinner' and I remember a phrase that the main characters GP applied to him, "You're entering heart attack country."
As I am now in my 40's I am very aware of what I put my body through, physically. I wish I had woken up to what I was putting it through with alcohol a lot earlier but I'm making amends now.

Average female
11-16-2013, 07:48 AM
You lot need to cheer this one up... All this talk about death? That's not going to motivate anyone.. Fitness, health and diet ? Hmmm

Periwinkle
11-16-2013, 05:14 PM
I had a great cholesterol reading yesterday, the good C number is actually higher than the bad C number. As for triglycerides, eh...wait a bit to see if that number improves with time as alcohol seems to be one of the factors in higher numbers, even with low other numbers.

I've been working out my jaws quite a bit this week with eating apple pies...

again, that darn sweet tooth!

Chad
11-16-2013, 10:07 PM
It is so satisfying to get those good test results.. I had so many years of hiding from the doctors.. Good for you, Peri.. Let's keep it up.. Remember, that sweet tooth could be what is keeping your triglycerides not exactly where you want them.. Sugar is a major contributor to higher triglycerides..

AF
Just wanted to mention something positive for ya! I had the best filet tonight.. 6 oz cooked perfectly medium.. Grass fed right out of our freezer.. My son has really learned how to cook a great steak.. Then, instead of Green Smoothie, I had a mixed greens salad with olive oil and cranberry vinegar dressing.. How's that for positive?? :)

Kinda funny story.. I have water with me when I run.. I have certain points in my run when I make it to them, then I take a drink.. I told that story to my wife and she said " I guess you still reward yourself with a drink." I never thought about it that way, guess that's just how I am wired.. At least it is a positive reward system now..:)

Chad
Xx

_Erin_
11-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Good morning! I got up and Shredded this morning... last week's challenge didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped for but I'm bound and determined not to give up now. :)

Chad... you must have a huge freezer to be able to grass-feed beef in that thing! ;)

Periwinkle
11-18-2013, 09:39 AM
If I win the jackpot, I'm going to have my own farm of veggies, fruits and free range chickens and grass fed beef. Green acres is the life for me.

Chad
11-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks, Erin.. I just read that and had a laugh at myself.. If you can't laugh at yourself? Well, we all know the answer to that..:)
Peri, I think my wife has said that very thing a guzzilion times.. It sounds so nice.. No more hormoned up corn fed grocery store crap!

Chad
Xx
Besides, then I could afford a grass fed beef freezer!

Periwinkle
11-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Ok, so what kind of vitamins and supplements do you guys take? And why?
My list is:
2 Gummy multivitamin (My tummy doesn't like anything else it seems, tried them all from pharmacy to sport's nutrition places), to fill in the gaps of my diet
Probiotic, seems to help my IBS issues
Glucosamine, Chondroitin Complex, Hyaluronic Acid, joint issues
Omega 3 Fish Oil, fill in the gap and helps with depression
Super B complex with vitamin C, take this around lunchtime to help give me an energy boost, help with stress and nervous system
additional Niacin, about 600mg through the day, they claim it cuts out cravings and the flush, while uncomfortable, does seem to give my skin a healthy glow
7-Keto (Dhea Acetate-7-One) Made for women and doesn't affect hormones like some DHEA's can, fountain of youth, seriously, so many bennies for those over 40
5Htp 60 days on, 60 days off, (alt with St John's Wort) Mood elevator, I feel peachy keen on it, usually will take it mid afternoon as sometimes it mellows me out too much (non drowsy though)
Vitamin D 1000 I.U. With D3 Boost immune system and helps with winter depression.

Average female
11-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Peri - I cannot believe that list?? Do you rattle when you walk?
I don't take any.
I think I'm really missing out on something here...

Periwinkle
11-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Haha, no :) I don't take them all at once either, kinda divided up through the day!
I guess I should add to that list that I take a spoonful of unsulpured black strap molasses for iron from a natural source. Tastes like shite. Since starting this 6 weeks ago, it has helped my energy alot :)

Average female
11-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Whoaaaaaaaaaaa - you take them EVERY DAY.
Wow

Periwinkle
11-19-2013, 05:50 PM
:rolleyes:

Chad
11-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Peri,
I take lots of supplements and will post them tomorrow.. I would like to have a nice discussion, AF, what the benefits are of each one and do we feel we actually get those benefits.. Some people think it is all in the mind.. I happen to believe what I am taking has major benefits..

Chad
Xx

dav
11-20-2013, 06:17 AM
I stopped taking supplements when I gave up beer. I was taking omega 3, vitamin c and zinc, as well as garlic. Doctors are very adamant about the negative effects of extra vitamins so I would, without being preachy, definitely be careful and check out the research.
I also wonder where the hell I got the money for beer and supplements now that I don't drink anymore. I'm still always broke :-)

_Erin_
11-20-2013, 07:22 AM
I don't take any supplements daily. If I feel like I need a boost, I will take the occasional iron or zinc or even a multivitamin, and if I feel a cold setting in, I'll take some vitamin C and zinc. I read somewhere once that your body absorbs vitamins better through food than supplements, so I just try to eat healthier. I really hate those giant pills, so even if I wanted to take supplements daily, I usually fall off the wagon after a couple days. YOU TWO (Peri & Chad), however, take "eating healthy" to a whooooole different level than I do, so I'm surprised you need any supplements at all! :) (That's a compliment!)

I bought a new Jillian Michaels DVD - Ripped in 30 - I really like it and I think this time I need to take some before/after photos to see what kind of damage I can do. My little girl (she'll be 3 next month) woke up early today, so I had my own little personal trainer for a while... "Mommy, go faster - really fast!! You're not going high enough Mom... reach to the ceiling! Ooh, you're strong, Mom!" Then she even joined in on the cool-down stretch. At least she gives me positive reinforcement with the constructive criticism. :)

Periwinkle
11-20-2013, 10:09 AM
I agree that the best way to get nutrients is through a well balanced diet, supplements will never equal that. However realistically, most average person cannot eat like that everyday, although those GREEN smoothies sure do help. Today I had a PURPLE one, just to be different :) It had beets, cherries and kale with vanilla protein powder and other good for you powders :)
I have some health issues that has caused some anemia in me for certain vitamins, so I like having the supplements to fill in the gaps.
I also suffer from anxiety and when the anxiety gets overwhelming, it can show up as depression, so I did some research on natural methods (supplements and foods) to help with that. They do seem to work cause anytime I start having issues, I can take a look at my diet and see that I've been slacking.
Taking the B-complex at lunch has been a great energy booster, better than caffeine.
Having more probiotics in my diet, both the blend capsule and through yogurt has helped tremendously with my IBS issues (I have alot of GI problems, always have since I was a kid, so I learned early on about eating healthy=less issues) Also cut back on certain bread and pastas, I don't think it's a gluten issue, but more of what kind of yeast is used. Learned through trial and error which brands to avoid.
As for the multi-vitamins, I split them in half, one for first thing in the morning and another mid afternoon cause the body can only absorb so much vitamins at a time and most time as they say, we will just end up pissing them out. I guess the way I look at vitamins is like wearing a helmet while mountain biking. Extra protection :)

As for food, I try to vary my diet week to week, buying things when they are in season or buying things only when they are on sale. I print out a list each season and try to check off as many as I can, it gives me a chance to try some new things I never heard of, look up recipes for them and some I found were really good and never would have thought to try them. I've always been kinda weird...Mom never had problems getting me to eat brussel sprouts or spinach :) Then again I come from a Japanese Italian German Irish Cherokee family so food is all over the board!

Chad
11-20-2013, 11:50 AM
This is where I think an AA style meeting would be cool.. dav I hear ya! But don't agree, but that's good.. This is what I was going for when I thought of this thread.. Erin, definitely take pictures.. I have learned going by weight doesn't necessarily justify what is happening.. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat.. It's how your clothes fit or don't fit the extra energy you feel that counts.. I haven't lost any weight since June but people still think I am loosing because I am getting tighter everywhere..
Peri,
I find it interesting, the more I get into diet the more people think I am extreme.. I wish I would have went to the doctor when I quit drinking but I was to scared.. I did go 6 months later and was shocked at how good all my #'s were.. I am going back in a month or so to get all the #'s again and it will be interesting to see the difference.. I think what you are doing and your attitude towards it is a breath of fresh air.. My friends who drink think I am just substituting one addiction for another.. I feel I got a second chance to do it right..

Thank you all for posting such great info and insight on here.. Alcohol is not the only thing in life that is bad for us.. Just giving up Drink is not the end it is the beginning to a happy and healthy life..

Chad
Xx

Chad
11-20-2013, 11:55 AM
dav, I hope I get some extra time this weekend.. I will post some studies and some links along with the supplements I take and see what you think.. I want to learn.. I am not here to try and force anyone to live my life.. I want as much info from all to help guide me along the way.. Maybe, something I am doing is wrong or unhealthy?? I would like to know and learn..
Thanks for your input it is very much appreciated and respected..

Chad
Xx

Chad
11-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Feel so terrible...:( I was attacked by a dog tonight while I was running.. I had to kick it really hard to get it to stop biting me.. Chewed my ankle pretty good.. The owners were very nice and apologetic.. They showed me all shot records so I don't have to worry about rabies, at least.. Aargh!! They had just come home and were greeting him in the garage when he saw me.. Said he had never done anything like that before.. Tell that to my ankle..

Chad
Xx

carol
11-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Chad, sorry you got hurt. Your running is admirable, but my goodness it seems dangerous!

Periwinkle
11-21-2013, 05:22 AM
Next time, run faster! j/k Glad you are ok. I had a dog charge at me before and it's scary. I'm sure the dog is Facebooking it as we type. :D

Average female
11-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Chad..Poor you..
You wouldn't get a cat doing that...
;-)

Chad
11-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks, I mostly feel for the dog.. I love dogs have 3 and hated to kick him.. :(

Chad
Xx

dav
11-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Hope you're feeling alright, Chad. Yeah, I'll have more time over the weekend and will check out more info online myself.
Up to my neck with things this week.

Average female
11-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Now.. If I just had liver for dinner, that should sort any issues with my liver.
Clever me.

Periwinkle
11-24-2013, 02:07 PM
My mom once tried to get me to eat fish eyeballs by telling me it was good for my eyes...

Average female
11-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Peri - Just don't buy any sausage by proxy stories from your partner....

Periwinkle
11-27-2013, 01:33 PM
hahah! :rolleyes:

Today, I went Orange! Pumpkin pie smoothie...yum! Fat free, cholesterol free, sodium free, good source of vitamin C, excellent source of vitamin A!

20 degrees or not, we are going for a walk through the neighborhood after the Gobble Gobble fest tomorrow!

dav
11-29-2013, 03:17 AM
Hope everyone a had a nice holiday.
Chad, here's a good article about Pauling and the history of vitamin supplements and their effects...
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/07/the-vitamin-myth-why-we-think-we-need-supplements/277947/

Periwinkle
11-29-2013, 10:37 AM
I think the key thing is, moderation. Too much of any vitamin can have toxic effects, so forget the more is better thinking. I don't believe all the hype of claims that they (the market) puts out for supplements either, they are obviously out to make a profit. I get a bit irked by both sides of extreme thinking. If one reads something good about a nutrient, they are all about it. If one reads one bad thing, it's I told you all so. (Not dissing on you Dav, as I value your opinions, even if I disagree.) I do however still stand by my thought that eating a well balanced diet and taking basic supplements to cover a few lacking nutrients for my dietary needs based upon my own research from a physiological view is beneficial for my needs :)

Periwinkle
11-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Today is a BLUE day, more like almost grey by the time you add some almond milk in. Which btw did you know that American colonist made grey paint using blueberries and milk? Great source of fiber and vitamin C too! If you eat it, not paint with it...

Average female
11-29-2013, 03:39 PM
When I get even older I think I'm only going to eat white things.

Average female
11-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Up to 7k a day now at weekends...
5/6k weekdays

Periwinkle
12-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Wow, that's pretty impressive :) I miss running, esp days like today to sweat the toxins out. Ugh. I don't even want to think about what I raided in the fridge last night...then again, I was sick as a dog all night long. :( Not a good diet plan.

Meds....anyone on meds for depression, anxiety? Just curious on some thoughts. My hubby since being on them has been a huge improvement and as stubborn as I've been about meds, I'm considering maybe...then again, I have heard horror stories from those put on the wrong ones. I can relate that to my BC. Took a lot of tweaking to find the right one. I had one where I liked everything pink (so not me, not a girly girl) and made me cry over sappy movies. >shudder<

Chad
12-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Peri, I'm with you on the meds being scary.. My oldest daughter "tried" them for many years.. Most of those years I am sure she would rather forget I know I would.. I would try everything natural that you can and leave that for your last resort.. I am just one person and certainly no expert.. Take care, and I am sorry you are going through such a hard time right now.. :)

Chad
Xx

Average female
12-03-2013, 06:24 AM
A number of people close to me are on anti depressants and its the only thing that pulls them off the ceiling and stops them from not being able to function. Less highs, but main thing is less lows...
I think they can be a lifesaver for some

Periwinkle
12-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Anybody here meditate or practice yoga, tai chi or qigong? Do you think it helps connect you to some higher power, spirituality or plugging in with the universe?

Average female
12-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Can I eat wine gums?

Periwinkle
12-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Swedish fish?

dav
12-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Peri, re: meditation, I plan to do some in the new year.

Average female
12-04-2013, 10:34 AM
What are wine gums? Man.. You haven't lived til you've had wine gums....
(A bit like haribo)

Chad
12-04-2013, 10:44 AM
I don't know what wine gums are or haribo? Help me AF!! :)

Chad
Xx

Chad
12-04-2013, 10:48 AM
My wife got me a beginners book of meditation.. Peri, when I get a second in the evening, think frame of mind is important, I will give it a try..

Chad
Xx

_Erin_
12-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Haribo I know... that's a brand of gummy bears. LOL!

Please, by all means, let's talk candy in the fitness thread! NOW I fit in! :D (Just picking!)

Average female
12-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Erin, it is a 'diet' of sorts? I thought haribo were American? Hang on, I feel conned. That's the only reason I eat them.
What about mouth wash. Can I drink that? It's got alcohol in it ... BUT it's healthy?

Periwinkle
12-06-2013, 04:24 PM
On the topic of gummies, I can't just eat two of my gummy multivitamins. But hey, they have nutrients in them, all is ok, no?

Chad
12-08-2013, 09:41 AM
I have my blood test coming up on the 16th and hopefully I will be able to stop my thyroid meds.. Stopped eatings peanuts and cooking all cruciferous veggies they contain goitrogens.. These foods stop the uptake of iodine to the thyroid gland.. I used to eat tons of ahi tuna which never took seriously, the mercury levels until now.. Stopped eating gluten which on a molecular level looks very similar to the hormones secreted by the thyroid which can cause auto immune issues.. Best part of this didn't realize I was gluten intolerant anyway and have felt amazing since stopping..

Chad

Periwinkle
12-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Chad: I used to have an overactive thyroid and they put me on some meds. 5 years later, it went the other way and had a sluggish metabolism and they wanted to put me on different meds. After so many side effects of the other stuff, I decided, no thank you. I changed my diet after doing some research and last 2 years I have tested out in the normal range without meds. Diet is an amazing key to curing/helping many of our ailments. Low fat diets/products disturbs insulin and leptin levels, so I have added healthy fats like avocados, cooking with coconut oils, nuts and seeds (which sounds like you do to from some of your smoothie recipes). Polyunsaturated oils such as soybean and corn oil block the absorption of iodine, which is needed to make thyroid hormones...however excess iodine can block the enzymes that produce thyroid hormones too. I changed my carb/protein/fat ratio, cut back on excess salt, regular tap water (flouride), and alcohol (yeah!!!) Since starting this journey of research on hormones, one I was very interested in was the HGH (Human Growth Hormone) I think there lies the fountain of youth. Anyways, I could go all day about this stuff as I find it fascinating how our bodies work. I hope your tests come out the way you hope!

On the topic of meditating, I practice 3 different types. One is after gratitude, I pray, and then I sit quietly listening for answers. Another one is to destress when my mind is getting too cluttered with thoughts, esp negative ones, so I can either sit quiet or do a visual/listening meditation. I think the latter is helpful to those first starting out with meditation as a step, cause it keeps the mind from wandering too much like sitting in silence can, but not too distracting that it doesn't serve some purpose of meditation. I do like stuff like hatha yoga and tai chi, kinda like a moving meditation :)

Namaste grasshoppas!

Periwinkle
12-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Today is an orange day! Mango, carrot and peach smoothie :)

Chad
12-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Sounds awesome!! Do you freeze any of the fruit?? I like to use frozen fruit instead of ice.. Enjoy!! Seems you and I are the only ones here who enjoy the smoothies..:)

Chad

Periwinkle
12-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Now that most fruits aren't as much in season (at least not around these parts), I am mainly using frozen fruits (brain freeze!) Just seems more practical..but I do miss my fresh fruits, they seem to taste better!

Chad
12-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Yeah! Nothing better than in season strawberries.. We usually get them by the flats and freeze them in the summer.. The Vitamix will blend the whole strawberry so can leave the green tops on them.. Takes the work out of it.. Just wash and freeze.. So much cheaper that way..

Chad

Average female
12-09-2013, 04:31 PM
I was pondering about bananas today. It's very rare I get one with the perfect amount of firmness, but when I do I really enjoy it. I can't eat them if they get too soft.... And if too hard I find they are a little too much like hard work and taste a bit funny... A bit bitter ..
Difficult to get it just right but always best first thing in the morning to start the day.

Chad
12-12-2013, 10:37 PM
I had the most amazing experience while I was running tonight.. It has only happened a few times, but while I am running my body disappears.. I don't need to think about my feet or legs or arms it is all working together without any conscious thought from me.. My head feels like it is floating in mid air.. I wish I could explain it better.. I guess, I am describing what's called a runners high.. It started at about mile 5 and lasted until I finished my run.. The nice thing about this high, there is no hangover or guilt to deal with once you are done..:)

Chad

Periwinkle
12-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Awesome feeling isn't it? I miss running. Someday grasshoppa, someday. Gotta get these injuries taken care of in 2014.
Did a purple smoothie today with a blend of strawberries, pomegranate, cherries, blueberries and raspberries with spinach, protein powder, flax seed and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Yum!
Got to balance out all those cookies, mainly dough, I've been eating over the weekend baking...

Periwinkle
12-19-2013, 11:21 AM
"1) Our strategy for recovery should involve holistic health. In other words, you cannot just say “I did not drink today so I am healthy.” You need to dig deeper than that and look at all areas of your health: Mental, physical, social, emotional, and spiritual. Then you need to make sure that you are improving your health in all of those areas on a regular basis."

So what are you changing/doing in these 5 main areas?

Mental: I have signed up for classes and I've been trying to read/learn something new each day.
Physical: Trying to get back to sticking to a program of cardio, weights and choosing healthier choices for food as fuel
Emotional: I think the counseling, support groups and working the CR program of steps and principles are helping in coping, dealing, relieving fears and anxieties
Social: I am expanding to new friends who support a lifestyle not around drinking, but being active. Come warmer weather will probably join some adventure groups. Also meeting new friends through support groups, church and volunteering. Also been reaching out to friends to go for coffee, movies and lunches. For a while there when things were at the lowest, I kinda isolated myself from everyone.
Spiritual: Be of gratitude. I can't stress this enough how much of an impact it makes to start each day this way as it has taught me to look for the little things and stop to say thank you. Prayer. Meditation, even if not formal, but just sit quiet for 10 minutes and watch the birds and critters at the feeders, or watch the clouds go by.

Chad
12-30-2013, 11:03 PM
dav, I think I am starting to agree with you... I haven't been able to run in 6 days as I don't think I have been this sick in years.. I do everything I can for my health now and can't believe how sick I am..

Chad

dav
01-01-2014, 05:25 AM
Sent you a pm, Chad.

Chad
01-02-2014, 07:04 PM
I shall start running again tomorrow... Haven't run in a week and I am missing it terribly.. I do believe, I have replaced alcohol to some degree with running.. So far this seems to be only positive, as I miss it but not loosing my mind without it..
My home gym is nearly complete, and I will start lifting weights along with my running regiment.. This idea is very exciting for me as I have wanted to do both for many years.. I never had the discipline in the past to do both.. It will take a lot of commitment and time but doing positive things for my body after years of torturing it, are my goals..

Hope, everybody else who has posted on here are meeting their goals, and, are committing to new ones for 2014..? :)

Chad

reckbates
01-05-2014, 11:19 AM
As for toning up, i think cardio workouts are more suitable.
Yoga sessions are very effective too as they will give your muscles and ligaments elasticity and flexibility combined with better oxygen supply.

Stay active...

Jim W
01-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Well decided to go find the running shoes man its been to long hitting maybe a 14 minute mile (lol) kinda slow and steady and then
6 5min rnds @ 40% using the core muscles its time to get back to training.

Average female
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM
I had 3 bananas for breakfast this morning, all completely inadequate in size and frankly overripe.
I never went on the treadmill after work either and feel worse for it tonight.
There's a lesson there for everyone.

Jim W
01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Hmm not exactly the breakfast of champions AF, anyway day 2 lifting tonight 30 mins, Then 30 mins of rounds, last night the rounds were way off need to get the calories up.

Chad
01-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Hi Jim W,
So nice to see you working on your fitness..
I spent the weekend with wife's family.. A wonderful bunch.. Two of them are career Iron Man competitors and make their living in that field.. I was able to run with them each morning and get advice and help.. I have to admit, I was very nervous about doing so.. Feelings of inadequacy or I guess more anxiety, where in full swing.. It was what drove me to drink in the first place.. I have learned to just push myself through it and see what happens on the otherside.. What a great time I had running each morning with them..
dav, one of the most important bits of advice was "Shoes" most injuries occur because our shoes are not correct for our running style.. I used to be real bad at this one because I bought my shoes based on looks and comfort, but mostly on looks.. A person, should have 'at least' 2 pairs of shoes to rotate with, thus causing less stress on the feet.. When you do this it will help you from striking the same parts of your foot over and over.. Try to find different pairs, maybe lighter ones for shorter distance and heavier and more solid for longer distance..
They are going to send me a pair of Newtons, they are light and made for a mid foot striker like me.. That was also very helpful, having my stride and form critiqued so I would know what shoe is best for me.. So many injuries can be prevented by having proper fitting and constructed shoes for your running style..
Expensive, but since we don't buy booze I guess we can spend it on shoes...

AF,
Sorry, about you banana situation.. I hope you finally find one with the right firmness and size to satisfy..:cool:

Chad

dav
01-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Thanks for that, Chad. Yeah, my shoes are quite battered and old. As you say, its the expense of new ones that puts me off but, really, I have no financial excuse as a decent pair might cost the same as a weekend of beer.
I'll look into it this weekend.

_Erin_
01-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Hi everyone! :) Last week was my rough week of the year (both anniversaries of my parents' passing). Christmas and New Year's plans had me hopping and actually HAPPY throughout the season (unusual for me), but then when it was over, I found myself feeling "blah" and then kind of sad. Then I looked at the calendar and went, "Ooohhhh... that's why." I allowed myself those few days to feel whatever I was feeling... not really sad or mourning or depressed, I'm not really sure how to describe it. I miss them, but I don't wish them back in the state they were in when they left this earth. Anyway... then I snapped back into reality - literally. Thursday afternoon I told myself, "Ok, that's enough of that," and decided it's time to get back into the life I'm still living.

One thing that I have been struggling with is my portions. I eat fairly healthy, but my meal sizes were just going up and up some more. I know a lot of people swear by measuring their food, but quite honestly, I'm a tightwad and don't want to spend the money on a food scale. lol So I brought this little Tupperware dish I have to work with me. It says it holds 1 cup. I pour my cereal or oatmeal or whatever leftovers I brought for lunch in that little dish, and that's my serving. It's helping me to be more aware of how much I need to eat vs. how much I THINK I need to eat. Big difference. Just thought I'd share that in case anyone else is gorging themselves, too. lol

Have a great day!

Chad
01-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Erin,
You are so right on portion size.. Especially, during the Holiday Season we eat and eat and eat a little more..:) I bet you were surprised how little you get in a cup compared to when you pour it directly in the bowl.. I wouldn't waste the money on a scale I think measuring works great..
Sorry about the tough times lately.. :(You are strong and have such a good attitude I know you will bounce back and be better than ever..:) you never know?? Maybe you will win a trip to Hawaii and get out of that cold and snow..:)
Take care,

Chad
Xx

Jim W
01-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Sounds like an interesting group to run with Chad, The fitness routine for me is about not getting caught up in over training and the correct amount of calories with the right mix of carb fat protein etc. If I stay @ 40% of max I seem to progress at a good pace.Many years of training allows my body to respond quickly as long as there are no injuries.

I do agree adding fitness to sobriety adds a whole new dimension to life (freedom) I remember the runner high @ 5-8 miles been a awhile.

Chad
01-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Hey Jim W, it was such an amazing time, I took them up on their encouragement to run a half marathon.. I am going to run it at the beginning of May, so have my work cut out for me.. I am very excited!
When I was drinking I would never have imagined doing this.. Life becomes so limited when booze is the main focus.
Jim W, hope you get out there and try running again..

Getting back into the groove of my green smoothies now that the holidays are over..

Be healthy everyone..:)

Chad

Average female
01-15-2014, 03:44 AM
Banana-gate continues... I have rejected the ones in the house for the same reason as before. Way too soft - overripe.
I thought I would get one from work, but they're all just as bad in the shop downstairs...What is a girl to do?
Problem is, I used to easily be able to skip breakfast - not much interest.... Now I realise that was largely to do with the calories consumed in the wine... So now in the morning I'm famished.
I've just been in a meeting and my tummy rumbled through the whole thing... I had a second attempt at a search - going to the restaurant and seeking bananas. No joy.
Hungry and Sulking now at my desk til lunch.
Why do I refuse to entertain anything but a banana? Maybe I should switch to green gunk?

I got my trainers in the sales 11 years ago and they're still fine...
They haven't been used really though.

Average female
01-15-2014, 04:03 AM
In retrospect, I don't think I'm adding much to this thread :(

Chad
01-15-2014, 12:52 PM
Oh AF, you always add something, not always sure what it is, but, definitely something.. HeHeHe! :)

Just for you--Enjoying a Organic Raw--muti-green Kombucha.. Yum!!

Chad

Jim W
01-16-2014, 05:48 AM
Chad do you have a running program you can recommend ? There was one I used a few years ago for beginners training for a 5k had a decent progression of distance and times I'm looking for it now. Had days on off etc max run time I think it was like 6 weeks to complete.

Oh yea noticed in your earlier post MX I just sold my 83 KX 500 used to run it on some flats we have here all them kids with the 450R's wondering what that green thing was that went flying by.

dav
01-16-2014, 06:13 AM
My wife is saying that I run too much for someone of my age! Do you guys think a 10k every second day is too much for someone in their mid 40's?

Chad
01-16-2014, 10:18 AM
What are her concerns..? If you are running at moderate pace that should take you an hour.? If you run at a fast pace you are done in less than 45 min.
It wouldn't seem to take time from the family..? And you are spending this time every other day..
If it's health? Maybe? Go to the doctor and get a stress test done.? She can speak her concerns to a doctor..
If she just thinks it's too far.. Get her out walking and feeling better and she will get it..
I run 8-10 miles a day so I suppose I am biased..
I think you are doing a good thing, dav.. Who am I though?? Just remember, 'Happy Wife---Happy Life' :)

Chad

I am in my 40's also..

dav
01-16-2014, 11:38 AM
No, its nothing to do with time or family, Chad. She just worries too much, I think. I've dropped 2 stone since I stopped drinking so that makes her think I'm not 'well'.
How do you find recovery after 10 miles each day? Do you feel you should have rest days?

Jim W
01-16-2014, 06:41 PM
dav that's my deciding factor also recovery, Ive noticed that at a certain % of max or a threshold the body will adapt but getting that threshold up without injury is the key question sounds like Chads been at this awhile.

Jim W
01-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Here is a link for a schedule similar to one I used for 5k http://www.mayoclinic.org/5k-run/art-20050962?pg=2

I dont know I assume there is a routine for longer distance as well

Chad
01-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Thanks Jim, my wife and daughter are going to run a 5k when I do my half marathon and were looking for a training schedule..

dav, my recovery depends on how fast I run.. In a week that I push it, I will run every other day, but some weeks I will slow my mile time down a bit and run everyday.. I just try to never force myself to a schedule, seems that's when injuries happen.. Jim W, seems to be on the right track, try to push it, just know when to back off before injury.. We aren't spring chickens training for the Olympics anymore..:)
Running the mileage you are running your body is going to change.. Sounds like you have a good handle on diet also.. Those two factors are going to cause you to loose excess fat.. Just make sure you are eating enough so you don't start digesting muscle.. I made that mistake last summer.. It is warm where I live, have a very physical job, and was running in the afternoon heat.. My caloric intake was not substantial enough for what I was doing and subsequently I lost 10 lbs. in a very short time.. My energy was down and I just didn't feel right.. My wife became worried about me then just like yours is worried about you.. We looked at what I was eating and added a morning snack and an afternoon snack and the lbs. went right back on and energy came back also..
Hope this helps.?

Chad

Jim W
01-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Dav/ Chad adding some cardio days into the picture got out some old P90 X dvd's working up intensity staying in the 30 minute time frame and getting the 6 meal plan together.

dav
01-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks, guys. Yeah, I know myself that I haven't been eating enough. I need to fix that from here.
I bought some weights today, just an adjustable barbell and two adjustable dumbells, so I can mix things up a bit.
I'll start a new routine from tomorrow and see how I progress.

Chad
01-18-2014, 05:52 PM
This is pretty lame, my life has come to this, was so excited to get my new shoes.. My running relatives sent them to me and arrived today.. Ran a quick 4 miles to break them in and will get up early tomorrow and run 10 to see how they really work.. So far having the mid strike point is really working.. No calf fatigue of any kind.. I will report in tomorrow how they did on the longer run.. Next step is to start rotating from shoe to shoe to see if her advice really works for foot and ankle fatigue..

Chad

Jim W
01-19-2014, 12:03 PM
I would call that great Chad, gratitude and excitement with a simple pair of shoes....hmm maybe now I understand my wife better.

Here is my commitment:

Discipline of nutrition: plan make and consume 6 small meals per day.

Schedule Daily : 30 minute am workout cardio, run, or rounds @ 6am.

30 minute weight training routine @ 6pm 2 x per week

30 minute sessions of sparring, rounds etc. @ 6pm 5x per week

Goal schedule and win 3 amateur fights beginning in April

Today great am workout doing good on meals and I will have a great pm workout.

Average female
01-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Ha ha - Chad, you're turning into a girl.

Average female
01-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Sorry, I'll get back to a thread I understand.

Jim W
01-20-2014, 10:16 AM
Great am workout 30 minute staying on track

_Erin_
01-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the reply, Chad! So far, so good with the measuring experiment. I've been doing my morning workout 5/7 days a week and watching portions and I'm almost back down to the weight I was at when I got off track. :) Happy Monday... if there is such a thing. LOL! Kidding.

Jim W
01-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Workouts balance between 40% train and max train now is the time to for me to keep workouts at 40% feeling good now strength and endurance after each workout is maintained. If over-training I am dogged all day the no pain no gain theory for me was years ago.

Now if there is pain there is no gain.

Chad
01-22-2014, 11:58 PM
JimW, I am learning the no pain no gain theory the hard way.. The drive that made me such a good drinker also drives me in the rest of my life.. Yesterday, I ran my best 10 miles ever but I am afraid if I keep this pace up I will over train for my half marathon.. I am going to work on backing off a couple notches for a while..
On a positive note, my new shoes are working out excellent.. Going to order a pair with a little more aggressive tread pattern so I can start rotating.. Yes, AF, just like a chic at the mall..:)

Chad

Chad
01-23-2014, 12:01 AM
Hey Erin,
Good job on getting back on track.. I will expect to see some more posts of good news from you! :)

Chad

dav
01-23-2014, 04:10 AM
Hey guys, what do you all think of the anti-wholegrain notion? Just curious. Honestly, it seems like I'm veering from one set of ideas to another and all the experts seem just as qualified as each other but have completely different recommendations.
http://www.builtlean.com/2013/07/16/whole-grains-healthy/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jesse-kornbluth/drop-that-whole-wheat-bre_b_4631108.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/25/whole-grains-health_n_3652751.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

I bought Grain Brain yesterday and will buy Wheat Belly when I've finished. (Quite cheap on Kindle at the moment)

Jim W
01-23-2014, 07:58 AM
dav It can be quite confusing Ive tried about every recommendation out there, Ive come back to the basics get rid of the sugar,watch the fat and the pre- made crap as for grain or protein. I generally set it up for my goal build muscle (protein), energy distance (carbs) and I try to find what is a clean food for me (gives me the best energy) and actually. I really cant buy into the refined process carbs as being the best for you so that basically leaves whole grains or sugar for carbs. I fasted one time and about
day 3 the energy was real clean but ya cant fast for long lol Best advice run a few tests on yourself and see how it turns out for me its usually about the right amounts of food 6 small-med servings of clean food works for me.

Jim W
01-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Yea Chad I know the feeling its almost a fear of not training enough. When is the marathon? and just a thought a backwards goal plan...... (Goal) Complete run at desired time....rest prior to event.....Time goal met......distance goal met.... etc back to where you are currently at in time and distance./ Block in the rest and recovery based upon your prior experience.

Average female
01-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Don't you call them 'sneakers'?
Always found that a little bit funny...
You can have a little cupboard in your weights room Chad, sneakers all in different shapes and colours and fanny packs in a drawer at the bottom...
:D

Average female
01-23-2014, 03:39 PM
One of these days I will surprise you all with something highly intelligent and relevant to say on this thread.
I'm just biding my time.

Jen
01-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Yes, AF, but not if you are an actual serious runner. Actual serious runners call them 'running shoes'

(like I would know LOL :) )

Periwinkle
01-23-2014, 09:56 PM
I have lost 7.5lbs, would like to lose another 5lbs and then after that ditch the scale and just concentrate on body fat and feeling energetic. I had a stone smoothie today. It really does look like concrete making material, but tastes yummie. Kale, blueberries, banana, flax seed, almond milk and chocolate mint protein powder. I've been having one week all out on, and one week meh and just doing basic workouts/walks. Same with diet. One week of getting gold stars on my diet, and one week of mac n cheese comfort foods. I blame the constant change in weather we have been having, 50's one day, then back down to 0 for a few days, then back up...crazy. Mother nature needs to get some new hormone treatments or something. Dyed my hair cherry coke brown the other day, now I'm craving soda pop when I look in the mirror. Tomorrow going to bleach and add in some bright magenta highlights to my bangs. Not fitness or health related, well kinda it is, it's for having a little fun with my spirit being free :)

Jim W
01-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Peri 7.5 lbs that's great, Me I'm re-evaluating the am schedule, just doesn't fit at the moment thinking about going to the rec center for the early am workout I have all the gym equipment but that am W/O needs a little coaxing at least for the 1st 30 days I'm thinking.

Other than that the workouts are going good, I have about 10 lbs I'm looking for the 195/205 range.

Chad
01-26-2014, 10:12 AM
No training this weekend.. Staying at a beautiful hotel with wifey.. No green gunk to drink just a perfectly cooked 6 oz. filet mignon for dinner last night..:) Taking 2 days off from running, we will see how I fare..?

Chad

Jim W
01-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Well I evaluated and the am schedule stays ...get up a little earlier

Chad
01-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Jim W, get up a little earlier, easier said than done..:)

Getting excited to start training for half marathon.. I like the idea of a goal to accomplish..

dav, I have been reading those articles you posted and I have to admit a lot seems to be trial and error.. Bread is just wasted calories anyway.. I haven't eaten a piece of it in more than a year.. I don't eat rice either just more wasted calories.. Lots of fruits and vegetables along with healthy omega 3 fats, like found in avocados, seems to work for me.. Are you big on bread?
There is a diet called whole30 where you cut out all of the controversial foods from your diet for 30 days.. http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/12/30/30-reasons-whole30/ read and maybe tell me what you think..

Chad

dav
01-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks, Chad. I'm off all grain and bread suce Thursday and have packed in more protein instead.
In going to eat a small portion if brown rice twice a week, though.
I already feel different: more compactly full after meals as opposed to bloated full.
I haven't had chocolate since last Thursday either but, again, I'm going to allow myself dark 80% chocolate on a Saturday night, I think.
Hoping for a six pack of the physical kind by the end of next month.

Periwinkle
01-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Another pound lost, half way to my goal, just 9 more to go! I find that when I start having tummy issues, it's usually cause I've been eating more bread stuff and after a few days of cutting back, tummy feels much better. I found a gluten free bread at Costco that I actually enjoy, kinda nice to have a full feeling from having a slice with dinner. Whole30 from what I've heard from friends has been mainly positive. I think it pretty much covers the same stuff from Michael Pollen's Food rules. For myself, I don't follow any particular diet method, just a little of this and that and some common sense. Move every day for a bit, even if it's just a walk. Choose healthier natural state foods, choose variety of veggies and fruits. Portion control and drink lots of water. Shoot for 7hrs of sleep at least 5-6 nights :) Namaste grasshoppas!

dav
02-02-2014, 03:21 AM
Well done, Periwinkle. I'm still off grains and still feeling good. I haven't eaten this much meat in years, to be honest. The only slight downer is that on long runs I get tired slightly quicker. It's still 100% better than running while I was a drinker but the protein and veg seems better suited to shorter more intense workouts than a marathon.
But...its early days. It might only be my body adjusting.
There's a real stretch in the evenings over here now. I love summer dusk runs. I cannot wait to experience them as a non-drinker for the first time this year :-)

Jim W
02-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Well am schedule has come together 1 solid week 4:45 I like this approach. It is a weight lifting program and for the first time I am staying in my 40% training bracket. Work this for 8 weeks then a more cardio intense program. The balance of nutrition is has a positive effect small meals and keeping the calorie count high enough so my body doesn't go into lock down mode, where in the past it would slow down the process of both weight gain and loss.

Chad
02-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Wow! Jim W 4:45! Good for you... Keep it up..

This Sunday, I start training for my half marathon.. The only worry I have so far is eating enough food.. I know I can run that distance already so I am training hard to finish in a respectable time.. All that preparation is going to take lots of fuel.. I am going to have to plan my next 12 weeks very carefully.. My running schedule now has me eating constantly, it's only going to get worse... I am not loosing weight so, I guess so far, I am handling it properly..
I ate 2 whole avocados today, along with 3 apples and 2 oranges, just for extra calories..

Chad

Average female
02-04-2014, 04:10 PM
I think you burn more calories eating apples and oranges than is contained within them?
Try some pie :)

Jim W
02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Well just finished the 2nd week of workouts do a little change up for next week higher reps then we will see about cardio.

dav
02-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Good stuff, Jim. I had a good week considering how bad the weather was over here. Running in soggy fields is tough on the legs, though. I got a couple of days weight training in too and I can really notice a difference in my physical appearance. I would say most of that is down to my new diet. I have almost gone two weeks with no junk food at all.

Chad
02-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Jim W, dav, Peri, Erin, and I guess AF :)
Thank you all for your posts and encouragement on this thread.. I feel keeping the body fit is such an important part of staying sober..
I start my formal training today for my half marathon.. I have read many articles that say only 37% of men finish there first one in under 2 hrs.. My goal is to to just that and have fun..
Thanks again all, and happy workouts...

Chad

dav
02-10-2014, 03:37 AM
Best of luck, Chad. I have a feeling that finishing in under 2 hours will be no problem for you.

Jim W
02-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Chad I like your defined goal, dav I have always gotten the best results when diet or better stated nutrition is taken seriously.
I believe nutrition is at least 40% of the results .

Sorry AF no mention of pie eating as a substantial way to improve ones personal appearance or fitness goals, not saying you don't have something there, you could be on the cutting edge of a new workout movement.

Chad
02-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Thanks dav.. The amount of food I am eating now is ridiculous.. I think I will just go on a 24 hr drip IV.. :)

Chad

Jim W
02-17-2014, 12:12 PM
well Im into the 3rd week of a routine I like, The meals are sometimes more challenging than the workouts.

How's the running Chad you on target.

Chad
02-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Hey Jim W,
So far all is well in my training.. Started adding in a lot of hills to my runs.. Figured when I start the race, last year there were 10,000 people, I will be all jacked up on adrenaline and take off way to fast, once I get myself under control all the extra work I did will help me recover to be able to finish strong.. That's the plan anyway..:) I am such a mess.. Work in progress.. Life sure is a lot more fun though..
Take care everybody.. :)

Chad

Chad
02-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Another good solid run.. Working on following my training schedule and not adding more mileage.. I signed up for another half marathon in October.. Figured I can work on my mistakes from training for this one and do better in the next one..
AF, ordered my next pair of running shoes to work into my rotation.. I am so excited they shipped today..:) Cost as much as bottles of expensive wine I used to buy without any side effects..

Chad

Chad
02-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Hey dav, getting any running in yet??

Jim W, hope you are getting enough to eat..:)

Chad

Periwinkle
02-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Jim W, dav, Peri, Erin, and I guess AF :)
Thank you all for your posts and encouragement on this thread.. I feel keeping the body fit is such an important part of staying sober..
I start my formal training today for my half marathon.. I have read many articles that say only 37% of men finish there first one in under 2 hrs.. My goal is to to just that and have fun..
Thanks again all, and happy workouts...

Chad

I agree. Granted we don't all have to be running marathons or looking like some fitness model...but feeding the body proper fuel and getting some exercise, even if it's just walking each day is a way to take care of the body, and perhaps undo some of the damage done to it all these years. A big part for myself in staying sober is self love and taking care of me.

Chad
02-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Peri, I applaud you, do whatever works for you to stay sober.. That goes for anyone out there working on staying sober.. You don't have to run a half marathon to accomplish your goals.. Eating right, walking, yoga, just get up off the sofa and do something positive..
I'm very driven and running a half marathon will probably turn into a full marathon eventually, but that's me.. Do what makes YOU feel fulfilled.. We spent so much time tearing ourselves down with alcohol the journey back to health can be whatever you want it to be.. This thread is not a competition it is a way to talk about getting back..

Average female
02-19-2014, 04:45 PM
So... Interested... Is no one eating carbs now? Chad, I don't think you do? Dav, did I read you'd cut them out?
I've cut bread out completely but still have brown basmati rice almost daily and pasta (not whole grain!) about once a week... Also potatoes.. (Never fried)..
Are you all just having quinoa etc? I don't think I could cut carbs out completely...

Chad
02-19-2014, 10:59 PM
AF, I eat lots of carbs.. But, I just don't eat refined carbs like the white pasta.. I eat a bowl of oatmeal every night.. Old fashioned oats.. Oh, I love basmati rice..:) I eat beans and sweet potatoes.. No wheat gluten is my thing.. When we go out to eat my wife loves to eat the soft bread at the table dipped in olive oil.. I have given up gluten cause I am highly intolerant and feel so much better.. If you have pasta once a week, enjoy.. We shouldn't have to stop ourselves from everything fun..

Chad

Jim W
02-20-2014, 10:46 AM
yea Chad 3rd week just about done, daily calories I'm getting use to it but 5-6 meals takes discipline. Know about the adrenaline dump can be friend or foe another aspect of life that needs to be managed. I agree the hard hill runs will get you past the initial phase of adrenaline. We work a lot with that at the gym with younger fighters and self defense a lot of it comes down again to staying in the moment not letting your thoughts get ahead of the reality.

Time for brown rice and fish...

Periwinkle
02-20-2014, 02:43 PM
I eat lots of slow digesting carbs, in the form of fruits and veggies, legumes, whole grain and chocolate. I basically try to find the highest carb with the highest amount of fiber in it. I've cut back significantly on breads and pastas, and my tummy issues seem to have been better. My mac ratio that works for me is 40%carbs, 30%protein and 30%fat (mainly good fats) I find that this ratio for me allows the body to use fat and carbs as clean sources of energy, helps me feel more satisfied with less food and allows the body to absorb sugar more slowly in to the blood stream.

As Chad said, there are good carbs, carbs to be limited, and carbs to avoid. We need carbs, esp if we are exercising, otherwise if you get too low, your body starts to use protein as a source of energy, and while you may be losing weight on a low carb diet, you will also be loosing muscle mass. Muscle mass starts decreasing anyways as we age, and once we lose it, it's very difficult to get it back (thus why I also weight lift).

Speaking of lifting, I am on my last stage of New Rules of Lifting for Women and even though I started it modified with my injuries, I was amazed at how my body progressed, how much stronger I got, and even allowed me to do things I wasn't able to before and thought couldn't until I get the surgery. I was scheduled this month to get the ACL reconstructed, but I thought long and hard, and decided to put it off one more season (I do horticulture/arborist work) so that I can get above the red line with finances and be less stressed during the down time. Last year I couldn't get the surgery done because of a TBI and had to have so much downtime and burned through emergency funds, not to mention the cost of my husband's rehab that we had to put down upfront. I feel comfortable with the decision and even if that means one more spring and summer of modifications (no running, although I have considered light jogs on flat surfaces as I really have come along that far). I know I have to have the ACL reconstructed eventually, cause there are so many things I miss doing with confidence that my knee isn't going to buckle out on me (especially salsa dancing!)

Anyways, in a rambling mode today. Wonder how many calories that burns?

Jim W
02-22-2014, 08:39 AM
Week 3 is done a little slipping in the sense that I have pushed more than my 40% of max lift... damn ego. I have not done the body building w/o in years a lot of volume, but I like that its keeping me focused in structuring an hour workout, about another 4 weeks of this....... which I do believe is setting a good foundation for power lifting and cardio.

Peri, it is amazing what a little focus and effort can do with lifting. For me its about making the good for you things a habit.

Periwinkle
02-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Today was a cheat meal day, went to a Wafflehouse and had all the breakfast fixings. Yes, an extra serving of oil and cheese with that please!
However, I did have a healthy dinner of some mixed veggies, chicken, quinoa and got my Zumba on.

dav
02-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Af, I cut out most refined carbs like pasta and bread. I still eat brown rice, though.

Average female
02-26-2014, 04:20 PM
A 'waffle house'? They just sell waffles?
They had those in Belgium...
Can't believe there's such demand for waffles?

I can really feel the difference not doing my 7k a day over the last weekend. I was too busy feeling sorry for myself. Well, I missed Friday, Sunday and Monday. I really missed the endorphins.
Might not be a marathon but I think it impacts my mood generally and I feel more lethargic without, I also think it gives av more volume..

_Erin_
02-27-2014, 06:26 AM
I feel incredibly guilty for butting in on the fitness thread of all threads to say this, but: Mmm... Belgian waffles...

Bought a new scale last night... bells and whistles... weight, BMI, bone mass, muscle mass, hydration levels, blah blah blah... it's actually really cool and I'm kind of infatuated with its "coolness" right now so I'm hoping it's what I need to get myself back in gear. :)

Meanwhile... it's -10 windchill, and the wind is blowing the snow so hard you can't see in front of you in places. I had a couple split-seconds of "wow, the drifting is pretty," but I'm SOOOO TIRED OF SNOW. Spring is coming, spring is coming, spring is coming...

Everyone, have a great day!

Periwinkle
02-27-2014, 06:29 AM
I'm so ready for spring! We have two more systems coming in tomorrow and this weekend. I go into comfort food mode. I'm ready for hikes, biking and outdoor walks. Old man winter give it up!

_Erin_
02-27-2014, 06:34 AM
Exactly! On the plus side, though, I had a checkup with a doctor on Tuesday. I have been 'blah' because I was down 30 pounds and I gained some of that back and can't seem to get my traction... but my doctor was thrilled that I was down 18.5 from the last time he'd seen me, and asked what I'd been doing, to which I replied, "Working out and trying to eat healthier, although winter has caused me to gain some back." He kind of pep-talked me, said don't sweat it, everyone is ready for winter to be over, I'm doing great and keep it up. I could tell he was genuinely happy for me and I told him that made my day. :)

Periwinkle
02-27-2014, 10:05 AM
That's great! I'm surprised you didn't tell him your were training for the Zombie Apocalypse :)

Chad
02-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Heck Ya!! You all better be prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse! Erin and I can't be expected to take care of the whole lot of you.. BBBRRRAAAIIINNSS!!

Chad

Average female
02-28-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm going to cut diet coke consumption down by almost 50% during March.
So that's approx 2 litres still allowed based on current volumes.
May try to then cut down again at a later date.. Get terrible headaches if I go too long without...

Jim
03-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Going to doctor today for checkup. Test results are good except for fasting glucose which is too high. I am starting to use sugar like alcohol as a treat and a mood enhancer. Not good. I am starting to enter the pre-diabetic area (fasting glucose 100). Fewer carbs and more excercise for me.

Periwinkle
03-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Jim: Hope the numbers aren't too off course, good on you for recognizing the sugar habit.
Average Female: It's a start :)

I got a challenge going for Lent (Christian or not) to go 40 days out of 46 from Ash Wednesday-Good Friday on a fitness forum. Not so much a challenge for me cause well, I just don't want to get wasted again, ever. However I thought it's a good way to get people to maybe think about cutting back, even if disguised as a cutting back calories. Without being preachy about alcohol, I'm hoping to get into a mind, even if just one, how much healthier our lives are without it, or cutting back on it, to address the social pressure and that it's ok to say no thanks, I'll take a cranberry sprite instead and finding new ways to unwind at the end of the day, rather than the usual 6pm glass of wine.

As for myself, I finished my lifting program and instead of jumping back in with my next goal, I've been kinda slacking this week. I've also decided to quit daily tracking of my food. With my OCD personality, it just makes it worse. I'm starting to embrace that my problems with food, drink and spending money is an OCD issue more than an addictive issue. I'm learning to recognize the early symptoms when I start that compulsive feeling spiraling it down so I can nip it. None the less, it has the same consequences when one goes off on a binge as someone who drinks daily. For myself I am learning that just not thinking about it is the best way to go about things, so the daily tracking of food was hurting me cause it made me think about food all the time. Just like if I tell myself I will not drink constantly, I will think about drinking. It's better for me to just detach from it, keep it simple and find other things to fill in my time and my mind.

Not to make excuses, but this dragging out winter is not helping! I just want to hibernate, wrap up in blankets by the fire place and read, eat chili or mac and cheese to put on fat and keep me warm.

Average female
03-07-2014, 12:25 AM
Here's a controversial question... The only chocolate I've ever eaten from US I disliked as it was too sweet... Is there more sugar in American chocolate generally?
Maybe Jim, I should send you some English chocolate?
:)

Average female
03-07-2014, 12:58 AM
....until someone tells me differently I will assume uk chocolate to be as healthy as spinach and inhale as much as possible.
Which works well.. As everyone is asleep.... (Dav, don't you be coming on here ruining things for me....)

Average female
03-07-2014, 04:55 AM
Anyone can say now that's not the case... Anytime...
Feeling slightly sick....

Periwinkle
03-07-2014, 07:14 AM
There is too much sugar in any candy or sweet treats from America. I noticed this when I go to the Asian stores and buy their candy/cookies. I've also noticed it when I go to the Mexican, Indian, Pakistani grocery stores around too. Did you have dark chocolate or milk chocolate?

Real chocolate 70% or higher is good for you. Within calories mind you. Too much of skim milk can be a bad thing as well. Personally I cannot stand the watered down crap and drink whole milk and cream. A little goes a long way, my brain goes ahhh, and it's worth 40 extra calories in a cup of coffee :) Same with 4 squares of chocolate. Satisfaction.

Balance.

Average female
03-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Hershey's? Is that right?

Periwinkle
03-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Probably milk chocolate (although they have some dark stuff). Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Makes for good smores though!

I tried a few fitness challenges with some women I know, and I've decided I'm getting off this wagon. Track this and that, measure this and that, weigh in reports. Blah. I don't like structure. My body responds positively to just keeping things simple. Read this today and thought I would share with some of you women (and men if you want to read, but I think women tend to diet more) It's time to ditch the diet and pay attention to your body. Indulge in that piece of chocolate from time to time :) Being healthy is being happy. http://www.niashanks.com/sane-and-simple-nutrition-guide/

Jim
03-07-2014, 10:57 AM
AF...did you know cadbury now owned by Kraft foods. Its all so multi national now. I hope the candy hasn't changed. I used to love the fruit and nut bar. That provides a triple dose of healthiness.

Jim W
03-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Finished week 4 of W/O did a change up for wk 5 back to power lifting and cardio, Did you run the marathon yet Chad ?

Average female
03-10-2014, 03:24 AM
Jim - that's way too healthy for me.. Bastardise the chocolate with healthy bits? Nah thanks..
The recipe doesn't seem to have changed yet.. And if it does - oh my God... They will not comprehend the rage that will occur... That would warrant a transatlantic flight and then a sit-in.
My cutting down on diet Pepsi/coke is not going well... In fact, it's not going at all... I keep making excuses (now where does that sound familiar?). Quite a stressful period at work though so maybe ill be better trying in May when that will be over.
I now need to tone up my stomach because while its flat, it's still too soft. .So - any recommendations about toning exercises? It needs to be something easy to build into the daily grind...

Periwinkle
03-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Screw the crunches. Do some planks. Great for overall core toning. Google if you need, but Swiss ball rollouts, Swiss ball pikes or jack knife, kettle ball swings. Wood chops using dumbbells or cable machines if you go to the gym. I'm finishing up reading The New Rules of Lifting for Abs this week, will start the program next week. I was really impressed with NROL for women in building strength, so I figured I would try this one next. While it focuses on ab/core work, it really is a full body training program as well cause you still use core/abs when doing pushup, squats and deadlifts. Pilates has some good core strengthening exercises in the program as well.

Average female
03-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Lord, was that English?? He heh..
I'll google 'plank' and see how difficult it looks!:o

Average female
03-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Hmmm. Maybe a soft tum isn't so bad!
Xx

_Erin_
03-11-2014, 06:50 AM
Planks are no joke... but AF, I love this graphic... this is how I feel about it :D

http://www.halligansfitness.com.au/wp-content/uploads/images/IMG_1696_2.png

Chad
03-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Oh my god!! Erin!
I laughed so hard I had to look around to see if anybody noticed..:)

Chad

Average female
03-11-2014, 01:26 PM
No, that doesn't work. Her hair is too dark compared to mine..
;-)

Chad
03-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Hey Jim W, haven't run still in training mode.. Looking forward to it though..

Chad

Chad
03-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Wow! This program I am working, to train me for my marathon, has really ramped up the mileage.. I am a sore, tired, eating machine..:)
The article Peri posted, on the stop drinking thread, really hit home for me.. I have replaced drinking with so many positive things that I am in control of now.. Running is one of them.. I would never have had the energy to do it while running and the head spinning of trying to plan days off from (drinking) while training sounds so tedious.. I am free..
I got my labs back and all is terrific.. I never eat anything low fat or fat free.. I only eat organic full fat foods.. It has proven true in my labs.. Cholesterol ratio is excellent.. I raised my HDL so it is now higher than my LDL my triglycerides are very low..
When you stop drinking that's only the beginning of the battle.. Our bodies will repair but we have to help it too.. Diet and exercise are so important to living a full healthy life after stopping..

Chad

Chad
03-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Ran my long run this morning and feeling really good.. Working out sore foot issues.. Thank goodness for the internet.. You feel good to read about people in the same boat with drinking it's the same with injuries.. Anything that can happen to a person someone has posted about it somewhere..
I went to the Dr. cause the top of my foot hurt (diagnosis) Tendonitis in top of foot.. His ideas to relieve pain I didn't like so I did research on the internet.. Learned how to tie my shoes properly and to not over tighten them but get the support I need.. I have been running for a long time and never realized I was tying my shoes to tight.. Got a special running sock that is much thicker so I can leave my shoes looser and still get the same support..
Not sure how much I like training for a race it kinda took the relaxation out of my running but that's me, drink till you pass out, gotta run fast..:) I also think I am in the doldrums of training just like stopping drinking.. I can run the distance no problem but am trying to build my stamina to go faster.. That entails countless miles of work to eek out small Gaines week by week.. Gaines that aren't very noticeable until needed.. Just like drinking being at a party and not feeling left out because have spent months living and getting used to life without.. Never really know how strong you are until put in a situation to decline a drink..

Hope everybody is eating healthy and exercising regularly..:)

Chad

Periwinkle
03-16-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm excited about starting a new program that is going to step things up a bit, always good to have something to focus on. I've learned to loosen my laces as well. Not sure if I will get to running again before surgery, but I did go for a jog last week and it felt good. Think I may add it in twice a week, nothing fancy, don't want to screw up the ACL, then again, if it's already blown out? The weight lifting program I did has been amazing on how much support it has given me to have confidence to do some of the things I didn't think I could without surgery, including working full time again. Point being, it puts that excuse of self pity to drink to rest. I'm currently working on a book, two, ok, actually I have like 5 or 6 stories in my head, and one of them being about fitness, and another about habit breaking. Finding your good replacement habit is key I believe to breaking any negative habit. You can't just stop with saying I want to quit this or that. Ok, I get it, you aren't the hardcore workout person. Go for a daily walk instead. Walking has been so therapeutic for me. I walk when I want to drink. I walk when I'm having a spat with my other half. I walk when life sucks. I walk cause it's a beautiful day and I want to take it all in. I walk in the rain and cry. I walk because I can. Now I have walking songs on my mind...walk this way. I'm walking on sunshine. Walk like an Egyptian. Walking man. Walk on the ocean.

... :)

Alana
03-17-2014, 11:46 AM
I too have been using the walking strategy. I'd love to run, but . . .

My family is starting to understand that I'm a random walker. The other day, I heard one of them say, "Where's mom? I can't find her?" Then my youngest said,"She's probably out walking." There's something freeing about being able to open up the door, and just start walking.

Chad
03-17-2014, 06:43 PM
I think just walking is awesome.. In my training I am supposed to take one full day off from running.. That day is today and the wifey and I are going out for a nice walk.. We always have such nice conversations uninterrupted by screaming teenagers..:)

Chad

Chad
03-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Wanted to share a new workout item I have purchased.. It is exciting, because it has helped my knees tremendously.. It only cost me $25 the cost of a decent bottle of wine.. After many years of racing motocross, and countless winters spent skiing every weekend, I am older now and have worried about the damage I have caused my knees.. There are many reasons for knee pain while running, but the most common come from bad form, bad shoes, weak muscles around the knee, and the final one, my problem, the adductor muscle/tendon on the inside of leg and the IT band on the outside of leg.. These tendons, essentially, control how straight your knee cap goes up and down in your running stride.. If one is tighter than the other it can cause your knee cap to be pulled to one side more than the other.. This is very subtle and can't be seen only felt.. By spending $25 bucks I bought a foam roller and roll my legs on it twice a day.. It has been miraculous, in how it has helped my knees, no more knee pain at all.. 10 miles of fast running and my knees feel good as new.. I highly recommend investing in one.. Mine came with a small book to show you how to properly do the exercises..

Chad

Periwinkle
03-19-2014, 09:20 AM
I love my foam rollers and wouldn't be without it ever again!

I follow this blogger called 1FW/One Fit Widow and while I can't relate to having lost a spouse, I like her attitude that she decided to get healthy for herself and her kids as part of her healing process from grief. Today she wrote and thought how true it is for any one dealing with difficulties and if their comfort is in food or a bottle:

I started this page because at the deepest levels I believe in the connection of physical movement to psychological happiness. It has been proven time and time again the even 15 minutes of walking will change your brains chemistry for the better.

I'm not saying exercise will cure or fix your problems, but it will empower you, and when applied daily, lead to small changes for a better life.

Turning to movement rather than food at times of stress has changed my life and given me the strength to walk through some pretty dark days.

Today, decide that you want to change. Decide that exercise is worth your time, and remember the reward is a better life. Living fit is priceless and powerful.

~1fw

Periwinkle
03-20-2014, 04:29 PM
From Patrick's article: "Your holistic health is the priority. Every day you must take care of yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and socially. If you neglect any one of these areas for too long then eventually it could lead to relapse."

What are you doing today to look out for yourself? What area needs attending to?

Physical:I haven't been too physical this week, been working on a design for work and spending alot of time in. I did some yoga yesterday and it felt good, so I will try to get some more yoga in this evening, then take advantage of the weather and get out tomorrow for a walk. Thinking next week I will ease back into lifting and cardio stuff.

Spiritually: Been kinda slacking at my morning routines. I've been a bit burnt out on this recovery stuff (steps, support groups, reading material, going to bible study, church, working out, eating right) I kinda took the week off from all meetings, no socializing, ate a few italian gelatos (mini ones) and >gasp< a quarter pounder with cheese. I watched movies when I wasn't working on designs from home. Made it a point to work on an area each day on something productive at home chores just so I wasn't a total slacker. It actually felt good to do nothing but the basics. However, I feel a bit more rejuvenated and today was the first day I got back into talking with God.

Emotionally: I allowed myself to feel the funk. To embrace it. Instead of getting over it, cheer up and be happy and go go go, I just let it go over me like a wave and went with the flow. I think the more I tend to try and resist the low times/feelings, the more likely I will fall off the wagon. Gradually I feel the funk lifting.

Mentally: I have been doing a lot of research and learning lots of new things this week. Watched a few intellectual documentaries as well. This weekend we shall see how I fare challenging myself to painting. I'm creative at things, but drawing and painting I always dreaded in art class. Which leads me to...

Socially: I haven't been a good accountability partner lately, not just with my check out week. Been kinda isolating myself and becoming a hermit, turning down offers to go out and do something. However this weekend, I have plans to go out for an afternoon with the girls for one of those painting classes. I turned down one last month cause they were picking a night to paint a glass of wine scene. Really? Let's spend two hours contemplating wine. I was bummed to miss a girl's night out, but just a bad time to subject myself to that. This weekend we will be painting a nature scene, more up my alley. There will be wine, but we can bring our own beverages and snacks and plan to bring my own concoction :) Be good to get out! Step study tonight...be good to get back into sharing and listening.

So...how about you?

Average female
03-21-2014, 06:09 AM
I am slightly conscious I haven't provided a banana update for a while...
im still managing 2 every morning as a rule and on the whole this is going well.
Today however, they were far too soft and so I rejected them and threw them away.
Couple that with limp asparagus for lunch... All very disappointing.
:(

Average female
03-21-2014, 06:10 AM
My diet coke consumption is still averaging 3.5 litres so that's slightly disappointing too.
I doubt I'd be in a strong position to donate bone marrow.

Periwinkle
03-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Over ripe bananas are great for smoothies :)
Bummer about the limp asparagus. Mine are going to be ready for harvesting in the garden soon, usually steam them in the steamer to keep them crisp.
Just curious, do you drink any water while consuming the diet coke? I have a friend who is battling diet soda addiction, she says it makes her brain foggy and she's constantly bumping into furniture and corners as she walks.

Well at least I got my blood work results back and looks like my good cholesterol is way higher than the bad stuff. Triglycerides weren't an alarming number, but they were higher than last time. I did find out that my thyroid is again off, super sluggish which can cause alot of the fatigue, GI issues and slow metabolism. Found out I need to back off the kale and other cruciferous veggies for a bit. To save money I had been buying big bags of frozen kale to add to my smoothies daily over this winter and apparently it may have triggered my thyroid issues into play. Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with kale, or broccoli or bok choy for a regular person and eaten within moderation, kinda like salt doesn't make you get high blood pressure. However for someone like me who already has a thyroid issues, it can become a problem. I will eventually add kale and such to the diet again when things balance out, but in moderation. Good rule of thumb for you green smoothies, rotate regularly between plant families. http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/green-smoothies/why-and-how-you-should-rotate-your-leafy-greens/ Hello fresh spinach, how are you today?

Average female
03-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Good news on the whole there then Winkler? ;)
Diet coke from 6.30am til approx 7pm and then switch to diet fanta.. It's healthier!
I Even take a can on the treadmill with me now... That's bad isn't it? Ought to have a couple of litres of water. Not at the moment.
Why is kale bad? And broccoli? I eat lots of both... Jeez everything's bad for you...
May as well just eat chocolate....

Chad
03-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Kale and broccoli aren't bad if you aren't hypothyroid.. Goitrogens are substances that suppress the function of the thyroid gland by interfering with iodine uptake.. If you blanch or steam them they can be eaten, but still, probably, in small amounts just to be safe..

Chad

Average female
03-22-2014, 05:39 AM
Sometimes chad, too much information is a bad thing. I'm going to stick with the chocolate...
Xx

Chad
03-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Dark Chocolate, non of that, super sweet, milk chocolate..:mad:

Average female
03-23-2014, 06:43 AM
Mmmm - milky chocolate...
Dropped one between my norks yesterday and didn't notice... It made a right mess.
Can't have that much fun with dark sensible chocolate...

Periwinkle
03-24-2014, 06:09 AM
Norks...haha, that's a new one for me! :D

Periwinkle
03-24-2014, 02:39 PM
This cold weather just won't give up! Grey and dreary, snow flurries. Makes me want to hibernate. Going to make myself go into cold basement and start back on a lifting program. I think I saw some bat wings in the mirror the other day.

Anybody have experience with Sam-E?

Average female
03-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Vic's last post on the main thread made me think of this healthier one...
Chad - you still drinking that green stuff? :)

Chad
03-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Yes, AF I am.. I do enjoy a good green smoothie almost every night.. It doesn't resemble snot in any way, thank you very much..:mad:

Chad

Periwinkle
03-26-2014, 10:03 AM
So I've been taking 5Htp to kinda take the edge off my anxiety, however it should be taken 90 days on, 90 days off otherwise it loses it's effectiveness. I liked it and seemed to work, usually take it after lunch. So now I'm on my off time and just started taking Sam-E. Anyone have experience with this? Doesn't seem to have much side effects, other than some gastro issues but not so much if you get the coated stuff. Other side effects are you can't just quit taking it after taking it for a while, should taper off. Doesn't seem too much different on side effects than what they have on a disclaimer for most prescription anti-anxiety drugs. However it hasn't had much effects on damaging any organs, unlike most prescription meds. Anyways, just curious. On my 3rd day, take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach as suggested, wait 30 minutes before breakfast. I don't know about mood elevator, but it seems to have kept the anxiety at bay and I've noticed that through the afternoon instead of a slump, I seem to me more focused on being task oriented. Apparently supposed to be good for joint health too. These old bones could use it :)

Been craving lots of healthy foods, so that is a good thing. having Sashimi for lunch with seaweed salad and probably do Mediterranean chicken quinoa with spinach, tomato and feta. Weight is starting to come down again! Yay!

Periwinkle
04-02-2014, 06:50 AM
Just wanted to report in on the Sam-E: It's working amazing on relieving my anxiety issues, even the wake up in the middle of the night oh my God I'm going to die someday attacks. lol. Seriously, I have been amazed at how much more relaxed I am, yet I'm focused and more productive. We just started working full time for the season and usually after our first full day, we have a gathering at our local pub and drink some beers to celebrate. I went and had absolutely no urge or longing for those days back. I felt meh about it. Then driving home I started thinking about never drinking again and again, I felt meh. I feel like I'm at a happy balanced place, where as before I was striving to be at that place. There hasn't been any real shift or change other than starting to take the Sam-E and think it's help take that last edge off of things.

Average female
04-22-2014, 05:29 AM
Decided after a bit of rare English sunbathing at the weekend I do still have a bit to go to feel fully confident...
So decided to draw a line under the chocolate consumption... Enough...

Sadly, a friend has just got back from America and brought loads of American 'candy'...
Quite liking the Hershey's kisses...
Although, I'm not getting the shape? It's like sucking on a very excited nipple?

I think I need to join an addicted to bad too sweet and milky chocolate forum...

Average female
04-22-2014, 05:34 AM
By the way, friend was also flabbergasted by the size of portions...
I should just stop now.
I can't write anything today without having some double entendre...

Ill try again later...

carol
04-22-2014, 08:00 AM
AF, LOL, thanks for brightening my day!

Chad
04-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Ran my last long training run.. Felt great.. Hoping to feel this good next Sun.. Only going to run 7 miles total next week so it will be weird.. I have been so focused, I hadn't thought about the tapering down part.. Kinda looking forward to it, so all my aches and pains can heal..

Chad

Chad
05-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Final short run tonight.. Looking forward to this..:) I am realizing how much better my focus is without alcohol to f#%k it up..

Patrick, I appreciate the advice..:)

Chad

Jen
05-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Good luck Chad - you crazy runnin guy you ! :)

Chad
05-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Thanks! Jen..:)

Average female
05-04-2014, 04:38 AM
Good luck hon. Lots of green gunk to power you on...

Chad
05-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Had a great time and did better than I hoped.. My goal was to do it in under 2hrs. I beat that by a long ways.. My time was 1hr. 39 minutes.. A pace of 7:36 per mile..
Two years ago about this time was the worst my drinking ever got and hopefully ever will.. It's hard to believe that I would 2 yrs. later run a half marathon and finish 325 out of 10345!
Thanks to all for support and kind words..

Chad

_Erin_
05-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Woohoo Chad!! Congrats on your triumphs!! :)

Average female
05-14-2014, 03:41 AM
I think I'm getting things wrong here if I get excited that giving blood may assist with weightloss...

Average female
05-14-2014, 04:06 AM
I heard an interesting debate on the radio about when is the best time if day to exercise.
According to your body clock, it's best to do it around 6 in evening... That's when you'll perform best. Most people make the mistake of doing it first thing which can shock your body.
It also suggested that this was probably why the most common time for heart attacks is around 8 in the morning as waking up is quite stressful for your body without subjecting it to exercise...
I'm sure I've over simplified a very complicated argument and will get corrected but I thought it was interesting. If I'd have been asked when I thought would be the healthiest time to exercise I'd have probably said first thing...

Positives at the moment for me :)
- large norks and running are difficult bedfellows unless you have a bloody good bra. I've just invested in one and its sooooooo much better. No pain now.
- I wasn't getting on with planking but hula hooping is going well.. Much more fun.. Enough said.

Negatives :(
- home from work, followed by an hour of exercise every night does lead to eating later which isn't ideal... I can't see an easy solution to this though.
- diet coke consumption. Enough said.

Chad
05-14-2014, 01:55 PM
You are not alone on this one, AF.. I have said on here before that I just don't feel I get as much out of an early morning run as a later one.. I usually do my Sunday long run early but I am 1 to 2 minutes per mile slower on a long run.. During the week I am out running in the early evening and it feels great.. I think you are correct..
Now my small norks don't care whether I run early or late..;-)

Chad

Average female
05-29-2014, 07:10 AM
So, anyone else's company taking part in this 'global corporate challenge' to see which companies of the world are taking the most steps every day?
Everyone wears a pedometer....

If one more person asks me how many freaking steps I've done so far today I'm going to shove their pedometer so far up their arse they won't find it.

Challenge that.

Chad
07-18-2014, 06:45 PM
I have started training for next half marathon.. It will be in Oct.. I'm not sure if I want to do that distance again, after this one.? My last time was 99 minutes I hope to do it in 90.. I think after that I may try a full marathon? Not sure though? It is a huge time commitment.. Janny, Kip, camas, any advice???

Chad

Chad
07-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Our newest member, Davidkin, has never posted but has this website as his signature..

http://coconutoilbenefits.uk.com/coconut-oil-benefits-for-weight-loss/

I usually delete such things but this info is important and hope that everyone will read and realize how the 'low fat' high sugar diets of today are what's making people obese, not healthy complex fats like what's in coconut oil..

Chad