PDA

View Full Version : Gratitude List

Periwinkle
02-20-2014, 03:20 PM
Was reading another article talking about the power of practicing gratitude, so I think it's time to have a place to come to list the things we are grateful. Whether that is a big list of everything, or just a daily list of a few items listed, that is up to you. I know for me when I take time to be more mindful and look for the little celebrations or breaks in life, it helps the rough days go by a bit smoother. I think it may be a good reminder to think about the things we will throw away and not appreciate or notice if we are drunk or feeling lousy from a hangover. I myself, like to find at least three things in each day that made my day. http://theweek.com/article/index/256206/how-to-train-your-brain-to-be-happy

Periwinkle
02-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Guess I will start off with my big general list:
Everything.
God's love and grace.
Being alive.
My best friend of 21 years have stuck out 17 years of our relationship together (we were friends for 4 years before dating)
My mom and dad, especially my dad who has seen me struggle so much with past griefs and hurts, always unconditional love.
Having the influence of my Grandmother and some of my best traits, I picked up from her.
Old friends who have stayed loyal through the years.
New friends I am making through recovery groups who are inspiring to me.
The Word of God to guide me.
Kindness of strangers.
Recovery and support groups. I have met the most honest real people in my life.
My church, for being open to asking questions to faith and providing answers I seek.
The stars, sunsets and sun rises.
Nature, trees, flowers, birds.
Music, art, writings.
Seeing random acts of kindness in real life.
My cat, she has seen me at my worst, crying my heart out, passed out, angry at the world for it's unjustice, and there she was always knowing when to give me a kiss and curl up next to me, almost as if watching over me.

Periwinkle
02-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Thursday gratitude:
1. Seeing a rainbow from my deck down below from end to end, it was amazing and took my breath away.
2. Even if short lived, it was sunny and 70, enough to recharge me from the winter blahs.
3. Having power on my block when everyone else in the neighborhood was down after the storms. Enjoy my comforts.

All this to enjoy cause I'm not drunk :)

Alana
02-21-2014, 08:58 AM
1. An overall pleasant morning with my daughters, and a chatty ride to school with my youngest.
2. That my words helped a friend feel better yesterday.
3. That I'm reconnecting with people.
*That my SR friend Periwinkle created this spot!

Periwinkle
02-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Well, even if this ends up being a two man gig, I'm sticking with it :)

Friday/Saturday gratitude:
1. Hearing a testimony on an alcoholic and codependent that evening. I am always so amazed at the raw honesty people who have worked through recovery will share to help others without worrying about judgment.
2. Warm sunshine and reclaiming my deck time.
3. One of my vehicles I know needs about 2.5k in repairs, yet it passed inspection today, so it buys me more time to work on it.
4. Gift of fellowship from the women in my Al-anon meetings
5. Wafflehouse waffles.

All this to enjoy because I'm not drunk! :)

Periwinkle
02-23-2014, 08:21 AM
This morning I am grateful
1. For not drinking. Waking up today with a clear head and mind, I feel exhilarated today!
2. Good friends that have stuck by us as a couple through the years, and accepting us with our new lifestyle
3. The critters and birds that come to the feeders, esp on grey dreary days like today. Seeing a bright red cardinal cheers things up a bit.
4. Having my heart open to listen to the Universe
5. Coffee, oh glorious coffee!

All this to appreciate cause I'm not drunk! :)

carol
02-24-2014, 06:03 AM
1. I am grateful to Periwinkle for starting this thread to remind me to count my blessings.
2. I am grateful to my SR friends, knowing you have my back.
3. I am grateful for the love of my family.

_Erin_
02-24-2014, 07:01 AM
1. I am grateful for my daughter, my little hero that helps me keep things in perspective.
2. I am grateful for waking up another day, alive and breathing with another chance to make it a wonderful day.
3. I am SO grateful for my little family, and that we have survived many hardships together and come out stronger than ever.
4. I am grateful that, although we still have quite a stretch to go, we are nearing the end of winter! I can see patches of grass in my yard now! (The driveway is a skating rink/luge run, though.)
5. I am grateful for all of the friends in my life, "real life" friends as well as those I have made online. I love that every time I speak to one of them, I gain something useful.
6. I am grateful for my first and forever love, chocolate.

Periwinkle
02-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Today I woke up grateful:
1. Family. Spent the day with them yesterday, and as quirky as they are, I love each and every one of them. I am blessed to have a strong family that gets together at least once a month for dinner, bbq, event, holiday.
2. My truck actually passed inspection. It needs some major repairs and I was fretting I was on a time crunch to get it all done right away. Now I can break it down into repairs and have some breathing room.
3. Having food in my house. Tons of it. Think we could survive a zombie apocalypse. I used to volunteer with a food pantry, and remember the shock of seeing the families who came to the weekly pick up. Not just then numbers, but they would never had struck me as people struggling for food. Guess that will tie in, I am grateful for food pantries. I met someone recently in my recovery group for codependents who runs a pantry. Coincidence? Probably not, as I was thinking of getting back to volunteering. Just do it. :)
4. Watching a beautiful sunrise
5. Breath right strips. Tried them for the first time last night. As ridiculous as I looked, it actually worked and I woke up with clear nasal passages. I feel great!

Periwinkle
02-25-2014, 12:21 PM
This morning I woke up grateful!
1. I have many designs to work on for work this week, as well as a few new contracts for the upcoming season, it will so help us out of the red that we have been living in over the winter. We figured with not buying booze or adding drinks to our dinner tab, we are saving about $300-500 a month, and not having any more drunken purchases (I about died when he came home one day this summer with a 52inch TV, new DVD, new Tivo, new Xbox!) I was a bit overwhelmed at first how we were going to get back on track, but by breaking it down and keep doing the next right thing, it's gradually starting to pay off and seeing the results!
2. I am thankful for living in the United States and not having to be persecuted by imprisonment, or stoning or exiled because of my religious beliefs. Or even political.
3. For my daily yellow bellied sapsucker visiting the feeder, makes my heart warm and fuzzy to see him.
4. For inspiration music and artists. With the cold last week, I was in a bit of a funk, but having music to listen to, it's been keeping my head above the water.
5. To have my husband to go through this journey with me. It's so much easier this time around having each other to hold each other accountable, rather than the resentment of him being drunk while I was trying to be sober and improve my life. However this time, I am picking up tools that I feel that even if he does relapse, I can now separate/detach myself away from his recovery and stay focused on mine. I am thankful for all my support groups that have helped me with learning how to apply those tools to my life.

All this to enjoy cause I'm not drunk! :)

Periwinkle
02-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

1. It may be cold, but it's at least a beautiful blue sky sunny day!
2. Cheese, glorious cheese. I could live off this stuff. Chocolate too! Tastes just fine without the pairing of wine to me!
3. God, for giving me so many opportunities, even when I had pissed on them in the past. The universe I do believe wants good things for us, we just have to be open to receiving.

Periwinkle
02-27-2014, 11:33 AM
Today I woke up grateful:
1 For that amazing sunrise with the beautiful clouds, it took my breath away!
2 To have another day here on earth to keep moving in the right direction.
3 Best one yet, my best friend has 6 months sober under his belt today. I'm so proud of how much he has grown since coming out of rehab, not just the sober part, he has been so open to change and embracing it all. It makes my heart swell to see him so much happier without the drinking, the hangovers, the misery and bottom he hit over the summer. I was so afraid so many times I was going to come home and find him dead from alcohol or gunshot in the head. I am so thankful to have him in my life and that we are finding our way back. :')

Chad
02-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Peri,
Thank you, for being here.. I am grateful that you are here and so honest and helpful..:)

Chad

Periwinkle
02-28-2014, 09:20 AM
I am so grateful:
1. For my Lilies (name of my step study women's group), last evening as we shared, my heart swelled with love for each and every one of them. There is a saying at the end of my Al-anon group that says you may not like everyone, but you will grow to love each of us in a very special way and it finally clicked that I do genuinely love each and every one of these women who are constantly inspiring me, encouraging me, supporting me and together we hold each other accountable to keep working at our recovery. As different as our stories may be (addictions, habits, hurts, hangups), there are many similar feelings and struggles.
2. For the Universe showing me if I just surrender and trust in the process, to keep my heart open and have faith, that it will provide everything I need. My life is no longer about what I want, but what I need and I'm learning to be intuitive to know that those needs change daily and I don't have to wait for the events, people or outside world to make things right again for me. It's right there within my spirit and I'm learning to navigate and keep finding myself in the right place at the right time, with the right people to say or do something and it just amazes me!
3. For the first person who decided to squeeze the teats of a cow or goat or sheep and figured out how to make cheese.

carol
02-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Today I am grateful for
- Rain in SoCal
- The beautiful patch of blue sky directly overhead in between the showers
- Both of these reminding me of the gift of life, and how grateful I am to be alive in this moment

Alana
02-28-2014, 01:42 PM
I am grateful for the wonderful massage I just received.

I am grateful for Patrick. Who decided to share his wisdom on sobriety with the world. Who created this forum and continues to support all of us.

I'm grateful for all my spiritual river friends.

I'm grateful for the sun. It has such a dramatic impact on my mood.

Periwinkle
03-03-2014, 09:49 AM
At this moment, I am grateful for:
1. Late night talks in bed, sharing thoughts and ideas about life with your best friend and falling asleep holding hands. It's nice to be able to again talk to one another without the alcohol Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde and worrying about setting someone off on to drinking.
2. Sharing a really nice meal of crayfish boil, chicken and sausage gumbo. Sometimes I wish I didn't like my cooking so much though as I keep going for seconds! lol. Celebrating Mardi Gras at home in our style was fun!
3. Beautiful blue skies and fresh snow. Made my quiet time this morning in prayer and meditation very serene.

All this and more to enjoy this morning cause I'm not hung over from a party weekend :)

Average female
03-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Ah, just found this thread peri... Happy thoughts...:D
I'm grateful today for all my amazing friends, their support and loyalty, I'm loving their energy and sense of humour over the last week... Don't know where I'd be without them...
Xx

Periwinkle
03-03-2014, 09:51 PM
With having to share one car tomorrow while my vehicle gets repaired, I know I won't be around much tomorrow, so going to share that tonight I am grateful:
1.That the car rental situation did not workout (forgot my driver's license in another purse at home and locked myself out) as it allowed me time to spend time with my mom and dad today as I waited for my husband to pick me up after work.
2. For a very inspirational testimony of an alcoholic for 35+years and now sober for 7years straight. It took him quite a few tries, including having several 6 months sobriety and even 1.5year before relapsing until it finally "clicked". It was a reminder that this will be a life long recovery and we are always one drink away from disaster. There is no graduating this. And it's ok, so long as I keep growing into a better person and learning.
3. Hot tub on 5 nights with the stars shining above. Gives me time to just be present moment and let all the worries or anxieties fade away.

Jim
03-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Grateful for rain that has taken the edge off our drought.

Grateful for this community and AA for helping me do what i could not do alone.

Grateful for good health

Periwinkle
03-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Yesterday I awoke from a very sad dream about events from my past and it kinda left a funk on my whole day, however I am grateful
1 I didn't drink to escape the pain. I accepted it there all day and just let it work it's way out, not try to make myself cheery by putting on a mask.
2 For not having a day one today.
3 For having all the tools, support to use and inspirations of others walking this path of sobriety
4 11hrs of pure deep sleep last night that helped my heart heal
5 Being alive and having another day here on earth to do the next right thing.

All this to appreciate cause I'm not drunk! :)

Periwinkle
03-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Migraine attack in the middle of the night makes it hard to be grateful to wake up to, however
1. It's a beautiful sunny blue sky day with birds chirping and should hit 60! Open up the windows for fresh air!
2. Through the morning, the migraine is gradually lifting, just in time to work out and go to work this afternoon.
3. Learning that it's ok to be the odd fish swimming in the opposite direction and speaking up so that others know they can follow their own path too.

Periwinkle
03-10-2014, 01:59 PM
From The Secret Daily Teachings
Begin your day by feeling grateful. Be grateful for the bed you just slept in, the roof over your head, the carpet or floor under your feet, the running water, the soap, your shower, your toothbrush, your clothes, your shoes, the refrigerator that keeps your food cold, the car that you drive, your job, your friends. Be grateful for the stores that make it so easy to buy the things you need, the restaurants, the utilities, services, and electrical appliances that make your life effortless. Be grateful for the magazines and the books that you read. Be grateful for the chair that you sit on, and the pavement that you walk on. Be grateful for the weather, the sun, the sky, the birds, the trees, the grass, the rain, and the flowers.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

May the joy be with you,

Rhonda Byrne
The Secret

_Erin_
03-12-2014, 05:43 AM
Today, I'm grateful that I followed the plow truck into work. I'm grateful that whenever we have crappy weather, 9 times out of 10, I somehow end up behind the salt truck. Someone looks out for me.
I'm grateful for my Camry, and how well she handles on these yucky roads. I'm grateful that I'm smart enough to slow down and take my time. :)
I'm grateful that this season is almost over!
I'm grateful that I am who I am, and I still have a sense of integrity about me. I used to envy a lot of people. I recently found out some "true colors," and I don't envy anyone anymore.
I'm grateful that I went through some real shit in my life (yes, I am grateful for the shit I went through), and chose to be a better person for it.
I'm grateful that I was able to get up and work out this morning, and that I was able to 'just say 'no'' to the snooze button two days in a row! Woohoo!
Even though they get on my nerves, when things break I'm the one that's called, and I feel like I should be paid more, I'm really grateful for my coworkers and my job.

carol
03-12-2014, 04:18 PM
I am grateful beyond measure for being free from alcohol. Some things have happened recently that made me remember how much I treasure this, and that I can't just take it for granted.

I like the list Peri posted. Each and every one of the little things that get to me are "first world problems". It's so easy to take for granted something like running potable water that not everyone has. I am grateful to be living in the time and place that I am.

Always, always I am grateful for the love of my husband and family.

Alana
03-14-2014, 08:10 AM
I am grateful for my husband
I am grateful for the abundance of sunshine in the state I reside in.
I am grateful for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th chances . . . you get the picture :)
I am grateful for my local library. "Libraries store the energy that fuels the imagination. They open up windows to the world and inspire us to explore and achieve, and contribute to improving our quality of life. Libraries change lives for the better." -Sidney Sheldon
I am grateful for hope and for feeling SOOOOOO much better.

Periwinkle
03-20-2014, 10:03 PM
Tonight I am grateful for forgiveness. In giving it and receiving it.
I am grateful for the ladies who are working through step study with me, sharing so many stories to help me understand.
I am grateful for support groups, and recovery forums, sharing blogs to give me insight.
I am grateful that the sunshine actually felt warm on the skin while outside.
I am grateful for my first solid meal in days and it hasn't given me any problems. Spring rolls and sushi!
I am grateful that my husband is in a better place dealing with his situation at work.
I am grateful that I am in a better place to be calm and supportive.
I am grateful we are in a better place as a couple that we can talk and share more openly, not just the good stuff, but fears and doubts, and in the end still hold hands.
I am grateful that I have been given so many opportunities to turn my life around.

_Erin_
03-31-2014, 06:27 AM
I'm grateful I logged in today and read Vic's post on the main thread. Even without an addiction to alcohol, when I made a choice to change the direction of my life, I also had to make changes in the people I kept close to me. Whether it was because of drugs, or stealing, or an overall negative attitude, etc., I had to weed out toxic people. It can be hard to do, but it doesn't mean you think you're better than anyone, and it doesn't mean that you don't care about those people. But it taught me that you have to walk your own path and let others walk theirs, and sometimes you have to care for them from a distance. Sometimes you meet back up, and sometimes you don't, but trying to drag them with you is like pulling a suitcase full of rocks behind you... dragging something along that you don't really need to take with you. Anyway, thank you, Vic, for making me think this morning. :) (Just didn't want to mess up the flow on the main thread, so I posted here.)

AllenBerg
05-29-2014, 09:21 PM
found this thread and i must say i like it a lot.. because i always believe that we should always be thankful with everything no matter how small they are. i am grateful for:

1. being able to wake up and start a new day.
2. having a meal on the table
3. learning new stuffs through this forum
4. having a bed to sleep on
5. roof that protects me from heavy rain

6. last but not least, i'm grateful for unlimited gratitude flowing through my mind right now :)

what i just listed are approximately 0.1% only of all my gratitude list.

_Erin_
06-04-2014, 06:18 AM
I just found this article and I think it kind of fits as gratitude :)

7 Things I Learned From 1 Year Without Alcohol
http://themindunleashed.org/2014/06/7-things-learned-1-year-without-alcohol.html

Julia :)
08-14-2014, 03:47 PM
I am grateful for my new found strength and will power that has gotten me through the past 3 months sober.

I am grateful that I am finally learning to make better decisions and guarding my sobriety (not attending things if I feel week or simply declining because the anxiety before the event is too much).

I am grateful for better health. Slight weight loss and lower blood pressure - I am no longer on the low dose of blood pressure medication I was on.

I am grateful for feeling hopeful.

carol
09-27-2014, 06:31 PM
So I do this every day but don't often share what I'm grateful for.

Right now, I am so grateful for this wonderful, supportive, caring community. I am so happy to be free. I am grateful knowing that y'all will always have my back when I need help to stay that way.

I am grateful for the love of my family and that even though there are some health issues for the most part everyone is doing ok.

I am grateful for the good weather. Silly maybe but the weather influences my mood, and I'd rather have sun than gloom.

I often think of something I'm grateful for and immediately think of the flip side or a counterexample, but at this moment I'm setting those aside and letting a small moment of happiness wash over me.

_Erin_
09-29-2014, 07:31 AM
I like to think I am pretty thankful in general. I was nominated twice for this "Thankfulness Challenge" on Facebook and I discounted it as another of those fad things that goes around. But I finally decided, "What's it gonna hurt?" and participated. I have to say, there is so much more power in being thoughtful about it, actually writing down your gratitude, and having it right in front of you, than just thinking, "I'm thankful for ___." (Not that keeping a thankful mindset isn't healthy.) I think I'm going to challenge myself to 365 days of writing down three things I'm thankful for each day.

Just my thoughts today!

time4change
12-05-2014, 01:54 PM
I am thankful for simple things today.

I am thankful that it's Friday and I can spend quality time with my husband and children.
I am thankful that the sun is shinning brightly and it's relatively warm.
I am thankful that things went well for my husband today.

JNolds
01-30-2015, 02:59 AM
i guess, for today, i am greatfull for finding this community site and able to join your rank guys.

carol
06-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Today I am grateful for so many things. Three to mention:
1) I'm grateful my mom is getting some medical attention she needs, thanks to the help of one of my siblings
2) I'm grateful for our kids expressing their love to my husband yesterday for Father's Day. It hasn't always been a smooth path, and it meant a lot for him to hear from them.
3) I'm grateful that it's 4pm and I can enjoy sitting with a glass of iced tea with the window open just chillin', worries set aside for awhile and no alarm clock for my she-devil ringing the witching hour bell, may she rest in hibernation for the rest of my days.

Average female
06-24-2015, 06:39 PM
Worked for me :)

_Erin_
06-29-2015, 08:47 AM
1. I'm grateful that Carol resurrected this thread.
2. I'm grateful that I can still come here and be inspired by all of you. I get to log in every day and see new people gaining momentum, old people lending a hand. It's awesome to see.
3. I'm grateful that I woke up, am breathing and healthy, and get another shot at making it a great day.

_Erin_
01-05-2016, 09:40 AM
I think this thread needs revived. :) I experience little miracles and big blessings on a daily basis and I want to acknowledge them!

Today:
1. I am grateful that I was able to fill up my tank last night, just before gas went up 40 per gallon.
2. I am grateful for the clothes on my back that were desperately needed... and I got them at Salvation Army's half-price sale on New Year's Day. All of them new with tags!
3. I am grateful for the time to myself early in the morning to meditate and read.

_Erin_
01-06-2016, 07:17 AM
Today marks 5 years since my mom passed away. A whole lot of personal growth has happened in five years. Almost 5 years that I've been a member of this site. I have logged in very close to every day since joining. I understand the need for many to 'graduate' and move on from SR, but I still find it to be a very useful tool - in a different way than when I first joined - and extremely inspiring to see people reach out for help and others willingly give it! I see a part of myself in every person that comes here, even if it was a past self.

Today:
1. I am grateful for the great changes and opportunities that are coming soon to myself and my family.
2. I am grateful for all of the happy times and hardships, gains and losses I've had in my life. There's been a blessing and/or a lesson in every one, even if I didn't catch on immediately.
3. I am grateful for the awesome sunrise I was able to witness on my way in to work this morning. I even decided getting to work faster wasn't that big a deal, stopped trying to pass the semi in front of me, and slowed down to enjoy the moment.

Ken1
01-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Erin, my heart hurts for you when I hear about your loss. If I may be so bold, let me share a few things I've learned about losing someone you love.

First, it reminds me that life is a precious and fragile gift. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery so all we have is today.
Be sure to tell everyone that you need to just how you feel about them so they will have no doubt how much they mean to you.

Next life is short, so if you have any goals you are putting off, take action on them today. Do not wait, the time will never be "just right".
Goals with out action are just dreams. Taking action is like putting a V8 engine in your dreams. Go for it!

As far as your mom goes, focus on the love you two shared. I know life is messy and imperfect, but forgive the
past and celebrate the good times. Forgiveness is not for the person you forgive, it is a gift you give yourself!

A wise man once said to me "any day above ground is a good day!" Wise words I tell myself everyday.

Here's to you Erin, you are an amazing person!

_Erin_
01-07-2016, 07:23 AM
Ken, thank you for your reply! I appreciate you, and the support you always offer. But I don't want you to feel sad for me! I'm in a great place. I think I want to expand on it a little, probably in the Adult Children thread, but for now I must get busy at work. :)

Today:
1. I am SO grateful for the love and support of friends, many of whom I have never even met in person.
2. I am grateful for the little girl I have that reminds me not to take life too seriously and gives me a great reason to strive for better things.
3. I am grateful for Greek Gods black cherry greek yogurt. Seriously, the stuff is amazing!

_Erin_
01-08-2016, 07:08 AM
Today is 25 years since my dad passed. Again, not sad, just observing his memory! :)

Today:
1. I am grateful for it being Friday.
2. I am grateful that, so far, we haven't received the freezing rain they're calling for in our area.
3. I am grateful for the all-around mild winter we've had so far this year. It only really got cold in the past couple weeks, and the one big snowstorm we've had (just before Thanksgiving, about 1-1/2 feet of snow) melted completely within a week!

carol
02-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Today, I am SO GRATEFUL for this place, Patrick, the people here (past and present) for helping me break my chains and become free!

Average female
02-04-2016, 01:31 PM
I am grateful for the bank holidays... Long weekends...
Lush

ByeMickeys
02-08-2016, 05:48 AM
I am grateful for a good day of exercise followed by a short but solid night's sleep.

carol
02-21-2016, 11:10 AM
At my elderly mom's. Where I was once so drunk she told me I'd been possessed by the devil - some truth to that actually. Grateful it didn't even cross my mind to order booze on the plane. As I passed one of the airport bars where I used to predrink to make it thru the flight (since the measly minibottles on the plane were never enough), I was grateful to not have to do that any more. Grateful I'm able to help mom, difficult as it can be, without having to resort to drink.

Being grateful for "nots" doesn't sound all that positive I guess, but I'm still grateful for these. Maybe more later

Sober Female
03-15-2016, 08:37 AM
I am grateful that I can now post on the Gratitude List!

I am grateful to be home.

carol
03-24-2016, 10:15 AM
Today I am grateful to be alive! To have this moment to sit and reflect.

And I'm also grateful Julie can post here!