Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
How to stop drinking - Page 1073

Heathrow --- Speaking of Terminal 5 here....gates miles away and announced just minutes before boarding, acres of perfume shops stinking up the place, hidden water fountains (oh right go to starbucks if you want a drink). And another thing...why when transferring, worried about catching my connecting flight do I need to go through security again? I guess other peoples security just not good enough ---- when its the same damn process!

The one saving grace which I can no longer enjoy was free booze samples at the duty free shops.

Yay, I am so happy to see some old friends post. Perhaps it is not dead after all. The reason I prefer this forum so much, I think, is because it is hidden and most of the folks that post found it a long time ago, when it was hopping. We all know so much about each other after years of posting on here, even though it is just virtually and anonymously. Lol.

I am in my fifth month, but have lost track of the days. I think that is a good sign.

Jim, I am so happy to hear from you and that you are still doing well. I’ve got friends that also get a lot from AA, but I don’t think it is for me. I am too hardheaded to admit I am powerless against alcohol.

I do know I have to remain diligent. The day to day is not so hard for me, and because of that, over time I start “thinking” I am fine, but I know from before that I am only one bad decision from going back down the rabbit hole so gotta make sure I stay the course.

I drank a lot of NA beers in the beginning, but that is slowing way down, too. I am realizing that when you take the alcohol away, there are better tasting options. Lol

The biggest joy of quitting is just the freedom of being released from the cycle and not ever having to worry about being too impaired for anything, whether driving a car or boat or whatever or having a hangover. I miss the hilarity of being intoxicated with friends sometimes, but do not miss the hangovers or impaired sleep, or wasted days after.

Hope, Jillian, and AF. Glad to see y’all post, too. I think this journey has lots of windy roads, and u-turns, but it is important to stay the course, get back on track, and not give up!!

Have a great day everyone.
    Peter, I plan to go read your article.

Its true Millie. And I think the people here for the most part have not fully realized the hold alcohol has over their lives--so AA is kind of irrelevant. The first step is really the most important --“We admitted we were powerless over alcohol – that our lives had become unmanageable.” Certainly for a many years I did not think that applied to me. What changed was after several months abstinent I found myself with a drink in my hand, as though it had gotten there by itself, while I was in some sort of fugue state. When that happened, so unwittingly, I realized something more powerful than my own will power was involved.

What came as a surprise was that the benefits of AA went far beyond just stopping drinking. I became, for the most part, a much better person overall. Not my assessment but my wife's too.

My big regret is that this came so late in the game for me; kind of silly since such regrets are useless. But it does lead me to be a bit dogmatic about being open to major changes sooner rather than later in life, whatever the individual risks may be.

Looks like no one housekeeping the site....two for one posts annoying.

Jim,
    The double posts are very frustrating. You can avoid by first clicking “go advanced”.

It does not surprise me that working the steps has made you a better person. I think the twelve steps correlate to many of the instructions in the Bible, especially the book of James.

Have faith in/turn your life over to God; pray; evangelize/be Of service to others; do not judge others, but take the log out of your own eye first, etc.

I am becoming more involved in my church probably for similar type of support.

I read a book that helped me “this Naked Mind”. This book explains how will power does not work. It’s theory is that you also have to also convince your “unconscious” Mind, too, that there are NO real benefits to drinking, and the book takes you through a process to do that. It really helped me move from “i need to stay away from alcohol because it is trouble for me (similar to I need to stay away from yummy cakes and cookies because they make me fat” TO I have no desire to put that poison crap in my body”. It was a shift that made the world of difference.

Hi all - looks like we are back in action! YAY! I sure hope Patrick or someone can help clean this site up - I am having alot of trouble logging in and posting. Could be my old computer, but it seems others are having difficulties as well.
    It would be such a shame to lose what was built here because of inability and frustration trying to post. THat could be why it has gone quiet as well. For instance, right now what I am typing is going right to left on my screen instead left to right. It is hard for me to read
    what I have written, and I hope it displays o.k. or you will all think that I have hit the bottle early - which is not true!
    On the positive side - no wine last night. I had to get up early this morning and as I was out and about was so thankful that I was not hungover, was clear eyed and clear headed. I love those mornings. That is the mind-set I need to keep - when the 5:00 devil
    starts creeping in, I have to keep in mind how valuable the morning is - not waiting until noon the next day to start feeling normal, wishing the poison was out of my system, and then keeping it out. Millie, I agree with you, the unconscious mind is so tricky.

Have a great day all- for some of you it is probably evening already - so stay strong.

Great to see you all.

Well Good Morning And Hello To Everyone.
    It's so wonderful to see some of you still posting and yet so sad that many no longer post.
    Today makes 6 years that I haven't drank and it still amazes me to this day that I have not put one drop of alcohol to my lips since the night of 6/6/2012 when I fell to my knees and surrendered.
    I found this site in August 2011 and my first day of sobriety was 6/7/2012 so there were many relapses before I finally admitted it was going to take more than myself to quit.
    I am eternally grateful to everyone who was here when I first began this journey as this site was truly my foundation and I relied upon it heavily.
    SO MUCH has happened in the 6 years I've been sober, so much has changed.
    But one thing has not changed, I am still eternally grateful to this site and the people who were here during the most traumatic time in my life.
    So as I claim my seat today, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart and pray that each and every one of you will find your way to a life free of alcohol.

Love Always,
    Kimber

Kimber!!! So nice to hear from you. You have been through so much and you are such an inspiration. You are one of the people on here when I started that gave me such hope and strength. We need to get that going again here - I truly
    believe this forum is unique and special and it would be such a shame if it disappeared. I hope that I can be one of those inspiring people who battles this demon and wins. Yesterday was another successful day. I am giving myself a schedule for the evening - I know that I want to
    drink when I am tired at the end of the day, so I am just giving myself permission to feel tired. It sucks, but why am I trying to numb fatigue? All I do is fall alseep anyway after guzzling the wine, so why wake up feeling miserable when I can
    just grit my teeth through the fatigue, sit down and rest after dinner and go to bed early. I really like the nights where I have something planned so I can't drink, so tonight I am having some friends over for a book club meeting - no one drinks so it will be tea
    and cake, so I already know that this will be another successful day. For anyone else out there struggling, share your story and lets find strength together to fight this. In the famous words of Chad, "It can be done".

Peter and Millie - thanks for posting even when you thought the forum might be finished. If I had logged in and not seen any posts I would have just logged off and never come back again - and I know this is where so many have found success with the support on here.

Thank you so much to all that have come back.

Hey guys! I'm still here too and would love to get sober.Today is my daughters birthday- would be a wonderful gift to her and me.why oh why do I question whether or not I have a problem? This is such a subtle change in me , the isolation and lack of interest in things. I do work hard cook clean and exercise but have lost my sparkle.im back with all you lovely people. Let's make a change

Hi Janny. Welcome back! I know how you feel - we have both been on this journey far too long to still be struggling - but we haven't given up, and I never will. Something has called us to come back here - I truly believe it is Spiritual. Happy birthday to your daughter and what a great gift for her. Let's nail it this time. I know that I have to stay disciplined and vigilant - I can never let my guard down. It is too easy for me to romanticize a glass of wine as a nice reward at the end of the day, but it has NEVER worked. I think Carol here said "one glass is too many and 100 is not enough". That describes me perfectly. I have to have zero tolerance.

Today is another 'wake up clear-headed' day - although I do feel very tired - and I know that from all the gazillion attempts in the past to stop. I will just have to put up with the fatigue for awhile
    Anyone else out there trying to quit - don't worry about how you will feel - just start with today only. You can do it. Have a good day everyone.

Big Hello to everyone.

I am struggling - dont mind saying - I have drank on a handful of occasions but can feel that habit creeping back in and need to do something about it. It is brilliant though to see people posting, Janny, Kimber Hope Millie, Peter, Jim, everyone else.

I go on holiday in 2 months and I do not want to drink on it so need to keep my guard up. I think I do better when I am reading and writing about not drinking so have got another book on order and looking forward to reading it.

have a good Saturday everyone x

Hi Jillian- I have been similar; not drinking every day and going periods without. Just drinking outside of home socially but now it has keeps back into my house and I am feeling the effects of slight depressed feelings and guilt. I've heard the book " the naked mind" is a good one to read, I plan in sending away for it.

Too funny - I haven't been on here in months and for some reason I thought why not check out SR and see if it's still running. Nice to see so many posting. Nice to see so many succeeding and/or trying to push the booze out of their lives. Never quit quitting.

Shout out to everyone!! this site was a life saver for me. I'm doing good, but slipped up last month, so back on track. Think I'll try to log on daily and check in. This site always kept me honest - LOL

Too funny - I haven't been on here in months and for some reason I thought why not check out SR and see if it's still running. Nice to see so many posting. Nice to see so many succeeding and/or trying to push the booze out of their lives. Never quit quitting.

Shout out to everyone!! this site was a life saver for me. I'm doing good, but slipped up last month, so back on track. Think I'll try to log on daily and check in. This site always kept me honest - LOL

Oh dear - double posts. Anyone know how to fix that? Tried to delete one but it went into a loop

Yeah! The forum is back!