Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
How to stop drinking - Page 1060

Jillian - that’s great you held your resolve.. well done..
    I can only add that it does get easier - I promise. Chad used to talk about his year of firsts... I don’t think I had such an incredible social life that it needed a year ( ) but once you get past your first night out, xmas party, it does get easier. More to the point, once your body no longer expects it - you’ve broken the habit for how you would normally ‘chill out’ - the pull isn’t there anymore.
    Not to say when you’re stressed and lots of triggers pulled you don’t have occasional ‘moments’ - I still do. Mine are worst around holidays ‘vacation’ time.... so it’s learning when yours are and putting strategies in place to defeat them

You can do it you feeling better on the whole? I love the sober sleep - particularly at weekends

Xx

Yes feeling better thanks Average however still have the sniffles, its been nearly 3 weeks now and I still have symptoms. I`m sure I never got cold or flu before due to my body being so pickled, or perhaps I did but just never realized it through being drunk or hungover.
    My skin is starting to look better, just like you said Janny. I was starting to wake up with strange pains around my abdomen prior to me stopping this time, I was getting scared to be honest and needed to take stock. Like many I have a decent life and to throw it away with my drinking was silly. Plus my many years of getting away with it (or so she thinks) was becoming thin and people were starting to tell me that they were worried about me - which is lovely but also mortifying.

So off to sleep and stay strong everyone.

so just finished a huge tub of ice cream - feeling wobbly but I know I`m not going to drink, dont really know where the urge came from but its dying down now. x

Jillian - Friday night after Work happened!

I always struggled at first with Friday nights... historically rushing to get home to open the first bottle... tonight I worked til 8... still preferable...

Xx

Happy belated new years to everyone! As I was thinking about setting goals for the year, I couldn't stop thinking about all the great people here that it has been my pleasure to communicate with through the years and wish everyone success on their journey and that you may find happiness and success in your life, however you define it. You are all in my thoughts and prayers and for anyone struggling, you are in a great place to seek advice from those that can relate to your experience on the road to freedom. I understand that some may have been through things many of us can't even imagine, but I have always found this forum to be a safe and soft place to land for everyone. I am grateful for all the help you have given me, especially when I felt so alone. Now it seems like I'm looking back on a different person! Thanks and good luck to all!
    Troubles are temporary. So is life. You get to decide which one you want to focus on

End of day 20, a bit of family stress today, nothing dramatic but normal everyday kids stuff. It did however make me think about how I will manage future BIG stress alcohol free. Then I thought nobody can 100% predict how they will handle any type of stress until it is upon them - therefore me trying to predict it and thinking about alcohol is pointless.
    For the first time since not drinking I had the thought that my skin looked better today, it is still blemished but has more of a natural shine and the red around my nose and mouth is gone - makes me embarrassed at how much in a state I let myself get.
    this is officially the longest I have gone in around 4 years
    How is everyone else doing?
    x

Jill- awesome job20 days!!!!!! I'm great moving along/ drinking is not an option for me - new way of thinking.
    Keep it going and more and more time behind you makes it easier.
    I remember being at your point and thinking- ok I can drink if I want but where will that leave me? Back to square one- depressed and miserable. So then I would say make it to 30 days the re-evaluate. Which I did- then at that point I was strong again so I said 60 days and now teaching for 100!!as many have said the longer away from alcohol the easier it gets- so true!!
    Nice job Jill.

thanks Janny

You are doing so well and do not under estimate how much your journey is inspiring others.

So it is 3 weeks today, sober Sunday has been good, normally Sunday would be a big drinking day for me, starting early when cooking the dinner, normally starts with wine but progress`s to whatever I can find in the house, by the time I serve dinner I am normally too drunk to eat it.

Today was a lovely dinner and I even made and delivered extra to some friends. So I am just winding down and debating over hot chocolate or horlicks, this is the best type of rock and roll xx

3weeks Jill that's awesome!!! Keep it up 77 days for me and going strong. I am aware I need to go forward and keep learning-cannot be stagnant. So am working on this-exploring the future to keep my mind and body moving

Stay strong everyone!!

Morning everyone.

Coming up to 1 month, starting to notice the benefits, skin is better and my eyes are starting to be clear again, and dare I say it - I have lost a bit of weight, sorry Janny I couldn't help getting on the scales x

If I had a pound for every day I woke up and said, today's the day I am not drinking I literally would have thousands, there was not a day where I wouldn't say this to myself ( every day for at least 7 years) but then I would drink, so for anybody reading and struggling, keep trying. I am not by any means taking things for granted and do not think for one minute that I have this cracked, - far from it but the past few days have been good days and as long as I dont drink then I will be OK.

I never posted when I was drinking, however I now think that that was when I should have been posting so for those reading and drinking, get posting and keep trying x

Jillian, I just quit again Wednesday for what seems like the millionth time. I think I am truly done this time, but Lord, y’all have heard that before from me.

I am so excited to see you at a MONTH! I am excited for you and hopeful for me. I know this place has gotten quiet, but I plan to post more often.

Words can’t even express how fond I am of this forum and the folks on it. It is hard to believe It has been so many years since I joined. It makes me a little sad that I could be years sober now, had I been able to stay the course. There is no time like the present though.

I’ve run out of excuses on why I don’t need to quit. Alcohol has been my dearest friend and worst enemy. Some of my most hilarious times have been fueled by alcohol. However, all of my worst times have been fueled by alcohol as well.

I am thankful, I still have the opportunity to quit, before something truly dreadful happens, Like a DUI or worse. No question, I’ve had enough alcohol to last a lifetime. I am 53 now. There is nothing cute, funny, or charming about a 53 year old intocicated person.

I am glad to see friendly names still posting.
    Last edited by Millie; 01-28-2018 at 08:27 PM.

I just read back a few weeks. Janny, you are over two months, fast approaching three. Bye Mickey, you got your 3 year medallion. That is fantastic. Average Female and Ken1, how long is for each of you now?

Sunday’s are always hard. The weekend is over and a long week of school and work awaits. I feel hopeful this Sunday, however. I have enjoyed my first alcohol free weekend in a long time. The end of Day 5 is near. It has not been hard so far, as I have hung out at home with the kids. I dread having to get through all the firsts again and am looking forward to them at the same time. So weird. Goodnight everyone.

Good for you Millie, each day is building up strength

I am back at work today after a period of time off, several bereavements the back end of last year left me totally exhausted. So I need to be armed and on the look out for triggers, previously I have come home from work and like a Zombie reached for the wine.

Any advice is welcome as to how to manage the stress of work, life, dogs, kids, relationships, thoughts and urges -

Is this an Omen - flat tyre!!!!!

Ha morning all!
    Millie great to see you back.
    Jullian so glad you made it thru the weekend and Millie too.
    You both talked of feelings I remember so well.
    The doom of a week ahead-the challenge of so many chores and responsibilities.
    If you can for a period of time make yourself the number one priority until you get stronger. I know thats hard with kids especially-but make other things simple-like dinner simple easy-cook a crockpot of something that will last several says. Watch movies together so you can rest but still be together. You can look at walking dogs as a form of exercise to feel good and or they don't have to have your full attention for a while get them a bone to occupy their time or some gadget that will keep them busy.

The point I am trying to make is take it easy on yourself at the beginning-don't put pressure on yourself to do it all-keep it simple, eat what you want, take naps, take a bath, buy yourself flowers or a new fresh box of tea. Read some good books. Its tough when you first get home from work but I found a nice ginger beer very- satisfying, also chocolates or some snack that I eat immediately when I get home.It all seems overwhelming at times but without the alcohol over time it will feel more manageable and you will love the challenge and enjoy the great job you are doing and it will feel more satisfying.

Millie the week ahead can be exciting!!!I feel the drudgery of what we do is worse because of alcohol. Get yourself sober for a while and it all seems more manageable, a challenge and you start to enjoy what you do for a living, become more engaged in your surroundings and life gets better.

The point is just don't drink-its not an option any more-play it forward and remember what that looks like. The alcohol does not make anything better! It takes a little time but you start to feel the benefits of sobriety and now I don't want to fog my brain up-I like being present, reliable, strong, awake, future focused and hopeful.
    keep at it all.xoxo

Hey all, great posts...
    Quickie to add what worked for me... right at the beginning was getting straight on treadmill... then I realise I got a buzz from that, but it was a healthy natural buzz and by the time I was done, I felt good and the urge had passed...
    Once you gain momentum you stop thinking about it... it’s your new norm and so doesn’t feel ‘weird’... that said, Sunday’s are still my ‘weaker’ day if I had to say anything about urges... but you just shut them straight back down.
    Failing the treadmill, lock yourself in the bathroom and have a long hot soak .. with some chocolate

Just shut the voice down whenever it starts chiming up after a hard day... no tolerance, shut it straight down. You. Can’t. Drink...

Xx

I was at a funeral on Friday, yesterday Iíve had some more horrid news about some relations of people at work.. even someone thatís now in hospital having contracted flu, now developed into pneumonia and sepsis... heís so poorly...
    My point is the body is an incredible thing, we never know when something shit May happen... we need to be helping it and making it strong -not poisoning it....
    Iíve always loved that point in Carrís book where he said imagine that you had some terminal and debilitating disease, when diagnosed the Dr said you can make a full recovery by just cutting one item out of your diet - wouldnít you just do that? Of course we would!! Itís about having a life you enjoy more, appreciate more, can FEEL more rather than being numb and Ďwinging every day..í...
    It may feel like a massive mountain at the moment but keep going, you can hear it in Jannyís posts... sheís feeling it now - it doesnít take so long before your quality of life becomes transformed.
    And itís SO worth it

just a quick hello to stay I am so grateful I have stayed the course of sobriety. I am just an overall better person sober- my thoughts are kinder-less judgmental and more understanding. I struggled with jealousy and envy for no real reason I call it my alcoholic brain that felt that way. Today I feel leaner-my skin is fabulous my teeth are happy and my sugar cravings are less- my kids are proud of me. So many good things!!!
    Jullien a flat tire-bummer, I hope you got thru it OK. As far as omen ,sign, meant to be...they will always be there if you are looking for them. The alcohol thing is such a mind game once you get rid of the physical addiction. I can recall an incident that happened to me about 2 months into sobriety where someone made a comment and it really bothered me-I could not stop thinking about it and it made me angry and resentful, I was festering over it for days, it almost made me drink-then I let it goooooo-realized it has nothing to do with me-its someone elses thoughts, why would I sabotage myself and drink over what someone else said?

To go further on I did not try and forget that feeling or drown it in sugar I analyzed it and felt it then let it gooooo.I'm trying to recognize all these feelings and accept them; sad, anger, happy, tired-its all just a part of living and normal emotions -the ups and downs of life. And I'm trying to help others not to dismiss their feelings stress and anger and disappointment are just as important as happiness and success and really is a part of living and we are really living if we encounter these feelings.
    stay strong!!xoxo