Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
How to stop drinking - Page 1061

Good morning! Thanks for all the welcomes and encouraging posts. One week down. :-). It hasn’t been difficult this week, but I came down with Strep throat. My daughter did, too. I can barely swallow anything, much less alcohol. Lol

The antibiotics are kicking in and I am starting to feel better. Have a great alcohol free week everyone!!

Does anyone know why some posts show up in duplicate?

Hi everyone
    Day 31 for me today, I have gone a full month and I feel good and very thankful to the universe.
    Janny what you said about being less judgemental and less envious struck a chord with me. I have noticed this also and it has happened naturally. I am less affected by other people and find that I do not look at other people’s lives and in my head pull them apart. This speaks volumes as to where my mind-set was when I was drinking and hungover, which was all the time. One night drinking, the next day feeling shit, but then drinking the next night and so on and so on. It was making me bitter, judgemental and jealous.
    I hope your friend gets better Average, I am over the moon to have been sober for 1 month however today I have had periods of thinking and normalising the booze. I totally recognise it and will not give in to it – it is my alcoholic brain doing this and the longer I don’t drink, like you say the less this will be.
    Millie I hope you and your daughter feel better soon. Well done on the first week. I am not taking anything for granted but God willing this first month will be the first of many. Sometimes my posts get posted twice, it’s as if the first one doesn’t get posted so it asks for it again, now I just post it once even if it asks for a second one.
    Here is to a sober February everyone x

Jillian, congratulations on day 31!!!! I think one month is an important milestone. I look forward to hitting 1 month; six months, one year, etc. ;-)

I hear you about the �normalizing� alcohol. That is going to be my biggest challenge. As time goes on, I am sure my AV will try and convince me that I can moderate. Drinking for me is like playing Russian Roulette. I can have a couple of glasses of wine and be fine many nights, but if I make a mistake and drink too much or too fast, then I am off to the races and want to drink everything in sight and will not quit until I am blackout drunk or pass out. So over the years, I have tried to figure out how to keep the former, and avoid the latter, but have realized it is just not possible. I don�t have the stop button that most folks have and I cannot predict when I will overindulge. At my age, the hangovers are brutal, too. The whole thing is just a collosal time waster. The drinking, the recovery, etc. It is just easier to give it up completely than to try and moderate.

I haven�t been tempted this week, but I have been stuck in my house and sick, so we shall see.

This place is a lot quieter. :-)

I went out for the first time tonight... out to dinner with kids to local pizza 🍕 joint. Usually, I would have one or two glasses of wine out with dinner, to be followed by one or more once safely home. It was nice to cut that out tonight. I didn�t really miss it;I enjoyed my water with lemon and the reduced bill.

I think a lot of my drinking, especially during the week, is just bad habits. I am starting to notice the difference in my sleeping. I am dreaming more. It is better quality.

I hope everyone is having a great week.

Hi

It is a lot quieter Millie from when I first found the forum, not sure why but I`m thankful it is still here.

I wont lie yesterday was a hard day, perhaps it being the first day after a month sober, I kept trying to turn my thinking around. I didn't drink and have woke up feeling good. I have tried meditation this morning, it was hard. I used to do it years ago but am very rusty. I think i need to do it to help with my mind set so going to do a bit each day.

Oh, and I have signed up for a half marathon and spent the money I saved in January on new running gear to start training. I have been running every other day which is helping but despite my best attempts my house still looks in need of a good cleaner - what can I say, we all have different skills and housework has never been on the top of mine - drunk or sober. xx

Jullian you are doing great!!!Heading for 60 days then 100!!half marathon too -great goal. Just keep thinking -wow you are going to look and feel great with the training ahead. Your recovery will be much better. Your body will take in the nutrients you need to train and not interrupted with trying to metabolize alcohol!!Its amazing how much better your body functions and how much happier it is when you are eating and drinking well exercising-dreaming in your sleep for a healthy brain and then you start listening to your bodies cues-

before I was always craving sugar and carbs after drinking. Now all that seems to have leveled out.I'm exercising but not too extreme and reaping the benefits-people ask me in the gym-"you look strong-what are you training for?" I just say I'm training for life!! Really I love to exercise and eat right and y body thanks me for it -being able to work hard, productive, emotionally available to love and be loved and have the life I want.

Millie have been where you are not too long ago-I allowed myself to rest-eat what I want take baths get my nails done go to bed early be last work out like crazy -kept on playing it forward -sure I can drink but where would that leave me? literally the next day I would be saying"OK that's it I need to quit drinking". I'm at the point I cant say I can moderate-I cant!!

Jullien tough night for you I hate the temptation. If you can block that thought the minute it comes in your head-don't even fantasize about it and keep thinking how wonderful your body will feel and how strong your running will become -awesome goal!!

xoxox

morning everyone

Ouch, last night was difficult - Janny you were right. I never drank and what was different was that whilst it was hard I didn't have the same immediate knee jerk reaction to reach for the bottle. I was able to take a moment to weigh up the pro`s and con`s and make the decision not to drink. I am so grateful this morning. I think I am reacting to it being the end of the month, sounds a small thing but everyone was doing dry January in my immediate circle so now that they are back on it - the booze - there is part of me that knows people are expecting me to drink and if I did there would be no external fall from grace. Internally however I will be devastated.

So i am going to spend time during the day thinking and gathering strength for the night time, I am not drinking, I do not want to drink and all the plans I have put into place will spur me on as if I drink I know for a fact that I will never get round to doing them. It got to the point where the drinking was taking over most things, I may have been functioning but internally all i was thinking about was drinking. I was doing what I had to do to just get through each day to where I could drink on a night, and when I was drinking I was only drinking and not doing anything else at all. i never want to go back to that. x

Nice job Jillian-shut down the temptation-don't allow drinking an option and start beginning the new life of sobriety.healthy body brain, runner and so much more!!

Millie How are you doing, Hi to everyone else.

Woke up early on a Sunday, lovely x

Hey Jillian - me too
    Theres a peculiar orange glowing thing in the sky...no water falling from the sky?.. not sure whats going on?
    Just wanted to say that Friday night feeling doesnt last forever.. you retrain your brain to look forward to a sober sleep and slight lie in...
    I remember how quick the weekend used to whizz by in a blur of blackout and hangover... start again... then being so minging on Monday, that would be Monday evenings excuse sorted... glad Ive broken that awful pattern.
    Just keep at it and the norms and things you look forward to revolve around sober stuff.

X

AF it's so good to hear your words of wisdom. That weekend description makes me sick thinking about it.the most upsetting thing to me is time wasted. Time wasted sitting in front of the tv drinking- then poor sleep - waking up sleepy and depressed! So much of that negative self talk has disappeared.
    AF my SO has stopped for a month so far- (watching what I'm doing) ....he keeps saying it's not forever
    Just overall feeling of well being- occasionally the thought of drink comes creeping in but it would lead me down a slippery slops for sure and I e worked to hard to be where I am at and my body is loving being taken care of from my eyes, hair, stomach ,muscles and heart - most of all my brain!! Sooo worth it!!
    Nice job Juliette working on your next week - Millie keep it up - nice weather is on the horizon.

Wow! Great posts. I am so glad you all are still posting. It feels like I am among old friends. I am doing great. I have recovered from the Strep thank goodness, but still on antibiotics. I�ve been using that as a reason I am not drinking. I know dealing with the fact that alcohol is everywhere and a �glass of wine� has always been the necessary go to for almost any and all events is going to be the hardest to deal with. But I truly do not want to drink ever again. I�ve known I needed to quit for years. Hell, I joined this forum almost 7 years ago. Seven. That is so hard to believe. It is also amazing to believe that I kept drinking for seven more years. Ridiculous, really.

I�ve read and reread a couple of books lately that are helping. The first is Blackout: remembering the things I drank to forget by Sarah Hepola. Unfortunately, I am one of the percentage of folks than can drink til I �Blackout�. There are big chunks that just don�t exist in my memory. It happens when I drink too fast and on an empty stomach. It is such a dreadful feeling to wake up and not know what happened the night before. Usually, the only thing worse is when someone clues you in on what you did, and worse, what you said.

The other book I read is The naked mind. It does a good job of busting all the �mythical� benefits of drinking. I agree that drinking has been a huge huge time waster for me, too, even if I remember the occasion. I do not sleep well after I drink even a little and I don�t bounce back after I�ve over indulged.

Jillian. Good work in staying the course. I agree with you about not �letting myself down�. I am quitting alcohol for me and I will be very disappointed in myself if I do not stay the course this time.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday. Fortunately, I have no Super Bowl Party plans this year. I have over indulged at such parties for many years. Yuck!!!!

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok.

I am doing good, last few days have been better than the weekend. I found the weekend difficult however I think I know why. Obviously there was the normal voice in my head trying to lull me into drinking and tricking me into thinking that my drinking was not that bad - if I can go a month how bad can I be - yeah right, my drinking is and will always be out of control. However I had a bottle of alcohol in the house over the weekend, it had been bought for me by a friend, a good bottle as well not your normal make. It was in the house until Sunday, I knew that this was the reason why my alcoholic voice was louder but it seemed a sin to but it down the sink - rightly or wrongly.

So it got to Sunday and I re-gifted it, to someone who doesn't have a problem with alcohol. Once it was out the house I felt such a relief and since then my inner voice has quietened. I have put some money into my `treat` pot to compensate for giving the bottle away so that in a way my friend still got me something. I need to think about telling people about me not drinking, part of me thinks that if I officially tell people I may jinx myself. People know that I haven't had a drink this year and are congratulating me so I hope that if I can continue with this people will naturally see me as not drinking rather than make a big thing about it.

However, it is Tuesday, I have woke up feel good, looking forward to the day and feel in control. for anyone reading and struggling please post xxx
    Last edited by jillianUK; 02-06-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Good for you jillian. Yes I'm reading and struggling.

Hey All.

I really recommend that you read This Naked Mind. It is supposed to help change your unconscious self, the AV voice, that still thinks drinking has some value. It really does a good job.

Peter, I am glad to see you still posting. Jillian, good job getting rid of the bottle.

Happy Tuesday everyone!!

Hey All.

I really recommend that you read This Naked Mind. It is supposed to help change your unconscious self, the AV voice, that still thinks drinking has some value. It really does a good job.

Peter, I am glad to see you still posting. Jillian, good job getting rid of the bottle.

Happy Tuesday everyone!!

Hi Peter

its just difficult aint it at times. I am still finding days hard at times but I have got to be honest I am starting to have days where they go smoothly and before I know it I`m crossing off another alcohol free day off without thinking about it. AF always says that it does get easier and I have started to have that tiniest taste of that - however I am 100% certain that I am still in the very early days, you cant get rid of a 20 year plus drinking problem in 1 month.

It is over the past 7 years that I have tried to give up, that is how long it has taken me so far, each day promising myself that I will not drink and then the cycle just continues. I still feel vulnerable at times but also starting to feel stronger. Janny also mentioned about the negative thinking going, I too have found that however still holding on to some of it.

When you drink you think that nothing else will fill that void and yet you know its the wrong thing to do - none of us are stupid, far from it. Yet we drink, repeat, drink repeat. I still am scared when I think too far ahead and life being without alcohol, however I know 100% that life without booze will be 100% better. So I have to break it down to daily chunks, hours sometimes and then the buzz from getting through them then gives you the strength to keep going until the next mind battle.

Keep posting and reaching out Peter.

Big hi to everyone else. x

Jillian, it has taken me many years, too. I can�t believe it has already been two weeks. Time sure speeds up as I get older. I went to my favorite pizza joint last night and it was quite strange just to drink tea, when my normal go to beverage was Pinot Grigio. I certainly thought about it and looked around the restaurant to see who else was drinking/not drinking, but I was content and enjoyed my tea.

Well done Millie

2 weeks is fantastic, well done at not drinking. I have only been out a couple of times since not drinking, I went home once the wine started flowing big style and people started getting drunk. Was worried about it but drunk people don`t notice.

Do you feel better in yourself, my `bloat` around my face and belly has gone. Keep going xx