Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
How to stop drinking - Page 565

Last edited by Alana; 02-14-2014 at 08:30 AM.

Congratulations to the 30 day folks. That is a big milestone.

I will share that at 4AM of the 31st day of my 30 day abstinence I went straight to the liquor cabinet...beware of such celebrations.

Hey guys, just about to go to bed but I have been meaning to ask about the sugar thing. I've been eating chocolate like there's no tomorrow over the last few weeks. Because I've been running regularly I've lost nearly a stone despite it, though.
    And, yeah, the Twix bites are delicious, Average Female. Pair them with Revels and you have a night of chocolate adventure...except for the orange creams :-)
    Night, all.

I hate for a brand new member to shoulder the load..dav I got it from here buddy..
    Nice to hear from everybody today...
    Jen! Where are you?? Miss you!

Chad
    Xx
    “Well, if it can be thought, it can be done, a problem can be overcome”

Dav - the orange ones? Bleurgh ... Even worse though - the 'coffee' ones.. Ewwww

I'm going to try and keep away from chocolate today... It's a bit like wine...once I start...

So, thirty days - there is a kind of 'flat' feeling of - ' so, this is it?'
    What I have to remember though is how awful the alternative is.
    On every level..
    Xx

Congrats to everyone on achievements so far. I'm closing in on 11 weeks and, apart from this damn cold/ flu thing, am feeling good. I'm actually waiting for a longing or need to hit me, to be honest. It was my brothers birthday last week and I was dreading going out as relations and friends would be there and I'm not a pub person at all.
    I think the lead up was worse than the night itself and I didn't mind not drinking at all. Standing ther sober, watching how people behave made me see that I'm right to not like pubs, lol.

AF, congrats on. 30 days, woo hoo! Yeah, the "now what, so what?" can set in. It's just another phase, keep going, it gets better and better.

Ahh if only I felt the same... I love people watching .. I miss that. Pubs would provide the funniest opportunity for that... Watching how animated people get.. And the amount of couples that just sit opposite each other and never even talk -priceless.
    Also, a good pub, cold day, open fire, good food. What's not to like?
    I was going to say English rely way too much on pubs but then Ireland are quite keen on them too!!
    You're lucky Dav. That's one thing I do miss. Such a melting pot of people.

And let no one suggest an aa meeting as an alternative. Seriously!

Congratulations AF!!! (seriousy)

I was in bed last night reading my blog list as I do every night before I fall of to sober slumber.. Brought up Mrs. D is going without, and she didn't have a new post so was looking through her recommended blogs list and low and behold Life Unbuzzed is part of her recommended reading.. To those of you who don't read the blogosphere this probably doesn't mean much, but to somebody like me I recognize the significance.. Sue Congratulations you have arrived in the blog world.. How cool Mrs. D commented on your blog!! She also made you part of her reading list.. Amazing!!

Chad
    “Well, if it can be thought, it can be done, a problem can be overcome”

Thanks Jim...

Chad, Thanks for noticing the link from Mrs D's blog!
    I was tickled also. She asked on Twitter for new blogs to follow, so I sent her a link to mine. Since I use her blog list as the jumping off point for my nightly blog reading, it was surreal to see my link there!

About chocolate and sweets: last night when the sweet tooth hit, I said to my husband, "you know, I think I should run to the store to get Halloween candy before it's all sold out". He said it sounded just like the excuses I used to make for running out to the liquor store in nights gone by. Busted!

Sue

AF,
    30 days is a big accomplishment! Congratulations. Now that you know you can go weeks at a time without the booze, continue to find ways to grow every day.

I won't tell you that AA is a good alternative for people watching in the pub, but it's definitely a place to find people who don't want to drink anymore. My hope is that I'll find a friend connection in the group I started attending. It would be nice to hang out with someone who "gets it".

Hi, Sue. Do you have a link to your blog?

AF, yeah, the sights are the same in an Irish pub!

Its true though we do need to find substitutes for the conviviality of the pub. There is a reason that drink is so much a part (lubricant) of social life.

After the excitement and newness of quitting drinking, after 30 days or so I started to get the blahs...like is this all there is? I am not drinking but I am not having fun either. Part of that is chemical (see PAWS) but part of that reflects the need for growth and excitement in our lives to replace drink.

Link to Sue's blog -- http://lifeunbuzzed.wordpress.com/20.../step-by-step/

Was it Sally who did the Camino Santiago?...Sue started a blog and a new career. Personal growth and self understanding go a long way toward replacing the highs that drink gave.

Small correction, Jim. I'm not starting a new career, but I am planning to go through training to be a peer recovery coach, which will likely be a volunteer activity.

http://www.spiritualriver.com/how-to...-visual-guide/ Great quick guide to recovery

AF >high five< 30 days is a great milestone! Awesome job!

Sue: It's so exciting to see how your life is unfolding and that you have a desire to give back

Jim: You are so right about watching that 30 day mark. I celebrated with a yummie all out whip cream and all coffee treat...

Speaking of which, coffee houses are my new favorite place to people watch. I haven't had too much struggles with going to my monthly girl's night out, it's quite amusing to watch friends get loaded and it's almost predictable when they will start repeating stories...lol.

My triggers that I'm having to be aware of is the cooler weather, I miss the seasonal beers or whiskey I used to have by the fireplace, firepit or camping. I really enjoyed the taste and have tried an amber non-alcoholic beer, it was ok. It was kinda weird actually cause I think my brain associated the taste of beer with getting buzzed and I actually felt a bit giddy. Weird how the brain works like that. This week, I picked up several fancy decaf teas and plan to maybe get a few specialty hot chocolate packs for replacement treats. I guess for me it's replacing the association of certain things with alcohol. I do miss the wine dinners and wish restaurants could offer the same course meals for a bit of a discount for those not wanting the pairings. It's kinda irritating cause I can go out to eat and order a dinner without the wine, but these specialty dinners all come with wine pairings. I did try one with some friends, shelled out the full price, declined the wine pairings and the server was somewhat rude by drawing attention to me with a comment along the lines of what's the point of fine food without the wine pairing, which drew other jokingly comments from guests at the event. Awkward. Guess it's just fresh on my mind cause I just declined a friend's fundraiser event at such a place this morning. After some thought, it's not the wine I miss, or angry at those who can drink it. It's the socialization, enjoying the courses. Seriously, now that I'm aware of this, I am finding it very difficult to find events or restaurants that do not have wine pairing included into the price. Only thing that irks me is that if I want to attend events with friends/family, I have to still shell out the same amount of money. Ok, end of rant.

I am however meeting new friends from my recovery groups, so with that, I am hoping to have more activities to do that doesn't revolve around drinking.

Kudos to everyone making it through Octsober! Who's up for another 30? I am

Day 61

Jim- 'the blahs' I love it...fits perfectly...
    Peri- 'high five' hee hee - I didn't realise Americans really said that! I got annoyed by your wine snob restaurant issues too.. Dickheads.
    Chad - every night in bed you do that? In bed? Hmmmmm...
    Maybe there is a new opportunity to create a whole new 'dry pub'... Would be a brave person... I can almost see the awkward looks and silences...
    Xx