Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
How to stop drinking - Page 965

THANK YOU CAROL! I really appreciate the time you took to share this information with us. I have found it so helpful Janny - I think you found as I did that not having the option to drink made it pretty easy to quit. It made me realize that I have been making it far more complicated than it needs to be - I guess that is the alcoholic brain trying to confuse me. I know that I am not on safe ground and won't be for a long time - but at least I know that I can do it - I did not physically self-combust or have a melt-down. I had great sleeps, enjoyed waking up early and got way more accomplished in a day.

Camas, Janny, Kip - everyone else out there trying to quit - let's just do it!

Carol~ When I hit rock bottom I drank more, than I dove into a bigger bottom, so yes, that is a big misconception. I got tired and knew instinctively I was missing more to my life. I know the positivity and happiness I felt when I was sober was worth hanging onto.
    AF what is pichku? or what you said a couple of days about the full moon?
    Camas way to go!! Keep on going. And great to hear from you again Hope and Janny. Now the real challenge when the alcohol is in reach. I had to learn that again when I came home.
    On speaking of AA meetings, I have come to my conclusion to admit I am powerless over my addiction is BS to me. I have all the power inside of me. I understand it is my conscious decision and handing it over to alcohol that I am not in control once I hit a certain percentage of alcohol that affects my brain. I get it. But in my sobriety I am powerful;not powerless. So that is why I do not go to AA. It is shameful to me.
    Well off to work I go~ TERE

AF~ A Pikachu ?

Carol, shrimp & salmon? Yuck! I can do bananas and cherry tomatoes though.

Hope and Janny, so excited for you two. Glad you are back here. I did the same thing, but just had 3-4 days sober before I came back this time. I felt like it helped me to think more inwardly and make sure I really wanted it.

Yep, day 21, almost 22 in a few hours. Starting an extremely busy week so will try to post but may be brief.

So excited to see some action here again!

Carol- I want to reread your posts again and again. Very helpful information and so true.
    Where would I be in 5 years if I continue this way-it would not be good.
    Camas and Hope you are both wonderful.
    Last night was tough -short period of time where I said to myself if my SO brings this home I'm in trouble. So I started eating to fill myself up and non alcoholic drink.When he came home I made myself and ice cream cone!
    So true about the sugar stuff. Avoid boredom. Find my hobbies and new things to do.
    Definitely a thinking disease too.
    Thank you AF- Tere Chad and more...
    I need to cut and paste your posts Carol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1468929203090.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	98

Good morning!

Not sure if I did this right, I'm on my phone so I'll fix it when I get to work if not, but this sums it up for me...

People who keep striving for sobriety are also pretty badass.

My two cents. Have a great day!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    As you sow, so shall you reap.

Hi friends....

Carol thanks for the engineering analysis option.. Might work on this brain but I'm also a bit of a non-engineer as well.. Kinda dysfunctional lol, but It keeps people on their toes.. Lol. But a look at the facts will show that benefits of sobriety should outweigh drinking. I mean, isn't the only perceived benefit the buzz? And I get that running, so why the hell continue drinking... It's a question I ask myself every day.

Camas, janny, hope, tere, etc, you guys (not literally!) are great to have here.. It's interesting that we have a mix of longtime sober folks as well as people just starting out.. I'm the last one to claim any success here, but taking the time to read and post indicates some conscious awareness of the problem. I wonder how many problem drinkers don't even have that. I am lucky that I typed the right sequence in Google in January 2012. The door is open and the support is here. Always has been....

AF, your comment about longer weekends sober is spot on. I've had weekends where the shock of Monday morning is realizing the speed at which the weekend passed.. That is no way to live. On the other hand, neither is that pokemon thing.. get yourself a book. Lol...

New friend here from New York. His mother-in-law lives across the street. Odd coincidence that two American guys meet in a town 99% Japanese. He's also a car freak so we will do a weekend jaunt Saturday or Sunday to help him buy and export a car like mine. It's a good sober diversion activity and will ground me a bit. Weekdays continue as so filled with work that it's home, eat, sleep.

Have a good evening all. Peace.

Kippalectible.... I can answer the question you keep asking yourself - eloquently detailed in para 1... It's cos you're addicted.
    If you look at the point Carol made somewhere in all those great points about how the addicted brain produces the happy high serotonin and some other thing When it has alcohol... Is no wonder it's tricky to quit?

I feel the high I get from exercise is now better than that of booze - possibly cos it's not also associated with shame and lots of negative feelings? Possibly cos I remember it and feel
    It so keenly? Either way... You can retrain the brain to enjoy other things and get kicks with other stuff...

It's hotter than a witches tit here today so much so I have to have a leg out from under my two duvets... 27 degrees at 22.45. Obscene. England doesn't do hot very well... No air con, flying ants everywhere... I love it

Going to disappear and release some incense to try and catch a pikachu ... I still haven't found one. (Kip... Maybe that's what's missing in your life? You need to get hunting - find a few pidgey's or ghastlys? It could be the answer everybody loves a bit of silliness or just stick with the pointless obsession around boring cars... Heh heh)

Xx

Day 22.

Good to hear from you Kip. I didn't have a huge revelation this time around, not a super great pull to stop, but sick and tired of keep trying and being I a hamster wheel. That is my number one reason that keeps me sober. There's so many days that I don't even think about it now. I spent so much time thinking about it before.

Erin, that showed up just fine. I like it and would have to agree.

I'm exhausted so bye for now.

Erin, meant to mention thanks for posting... Love it when I see you've posted as I always know your post will make me smile, as indeed yours did yesterday

Xx

Day 23. No time to read or post but thinking of ya all!

Good Evening SR friends,

Done with work for the evening and what better way to spend it eating popcorn and reading back posts! I figured out a Pikachu! LOL
    Great few days I have had. Full Moon too! Picked some fresh produce from my garden this morning and it felt so good having energy to get out in the country and do this! It was humid, but refreshing.

Janny and Camas you are all doing so well! I do not know you personally but still feel connected. AF ~I love your humor. Hey Aardwolf miss yours! How are you doing so many miles away?
    Carol thank you for the great read. I am going over it all again. Well this is short as I am going to read and relax before bed. I have a full day tomorrow and it is expected to have a heat index here over 100 degrees. YIKES! Time to get a pool!
    I love being a collective part of the healing process of addiction!
    Peace out,
    TERE

Thanks, Erin, I figured out how to tap on it so I didn't have to try to make my 40 something eyes read that tiny print on my phone..;-) I never thought about it that way but I guess it's true we have to basically start over, hit the reset button if you will, and then jump back into life and not miss a beat.. Ya, I think we all are Bad Asses..

Kip, don't kid yourself, you are getting much more from alcohol than just a buzz.. People die everyday from alcohol abuse wether it be overdose in one night or progressive over 50yrs. we get our best friend who never complains, judges, or abandons us.. And in return alcohol asks us for only one thing, our life.. I'd say that's much more than a buzz..

Proud of everybody who tries everyday to beat alcohol, It will probably be the toughest thing you'll ever have to do..

Chad
    “Well, if it can be thought, it can be done, a problem can be overcome”

Day 24. On vacation with family so if I'm missing in action for the next week don't worry about me. Happy to be not thinking of alcohol on this vacation!

Camas... Great you don't have the association with holiday and booze.. I still struggle with that. That and the sunshine.

Day 24... 25 now
    Excellent... Are you feeling physically better? Mentally better? Calmer?

Xx

AF, I really just feel like a non drinker. There's not really a huge difference in how I feel except I feel more honest and don't have this annoying monkey on my back. That's enough for me! Janny and Hope, how are you doing?

Day 25. Heading towards and past 30 soon enough!

Here's a cheery thought for a Sunday... I reckon I would be dead now if I hadn't quit?
    My liver was struggling back in 2010 through to..12 and up until I quit in 2013...
    I know it takes a while but the speed I was quaffing wine..
    How mad is that? None of the subtleties of better sleep, sharper senses, more energy....
    Not being dead. There's a happy outcome

Camas - that sounds great. Don't get complacent is my word of warning... I felt like that a couple of times and then a bad day would come along and throw you...

It is such a relief to not have that ridiculous dialogue in your head.

I'm going to enjoy some food out, a long run, some gardening, reading... Maybe a little bit of pikachu hunting....

Xx

AF, complacency is hard not to have. I feel good but not a lot different than when I was drinking except feeling pure, honest and healthy. I know I was getting very discouraged being discouraged from knowing I need to quit for good but not sticking to it. It's difficult to remember how frustrating that was for me. I don't feel like drinking but I don't know if I'm prepared enough for that day when all he'll breaks loose and I feel like a drink would solve it. It helps to write here and realize that. And it helps me to remind myself why I stopped in the first place.

Day 26

Quote Originally Posted by camas View Post
    AF, complacency is hard not to have. I feel good but not a lot different than when I was drinking except feeling pure, honest and healthy. I know I was getting very discouraged being discouraged from knowing I need to quit for good but not sticking to it. It's difficult to remember how frustrating that was for me. I don't feel like drinking but I don't know if I'm prepared enough for that day when all he'll breaks loose and I feel like a drink would solve it. It helps to write here and realize that. And it helps me to remind myself why I stopped in the first place.

Day 26
    Camas, I think drinking wouldn't solve any problem. Every problem can be solved if you share its with your friends and relatives.

Hi HG, and welcome to our forum..
    I tend to agree with you about sharing your problems with friends or family.. If I hadn't confided in my wife about all the misery I was in I might not have found my way to being sober..? That's why AA and other programs are so good, and important, nothing worse than feeling all alone.. I love this forum because at this point I just need little adjustments to my thinking here and there and this is the perfect situation..
    Please, everybody, go and find your perfect situation.. Another day drunk, is just another lost day and none of us know how many days we get..

Happy Sober Monday!!

Chad
    “Well, if it can be thought, it can be done, a problem can be overcome”