Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
30 Day Challenges - Page 3
Page 3 of 84 First 123451353 ... Last
    Good morning (morning where I am), everyone!

Day 7! It sure takes a lot of discipline to set your clock on the weekends, when you know you don't have to get up early for work! But I did it, and I'm glad I did because I don't have to start all over again. I even pushed myself on Saturday to run 1-1/4 laps and walk the last 3/4. Not a huge push, but it still seemed like it. LOL I didn't really have a time restriction that day, so I figured I might as well see what I can do.

Dragonfly - I know all about about falling off the wagon. LOL The #1 reason for me to stop doing anything is because I usually jump in with both feet and "OCD" on whatever I'm focusing on, and then I burn out quickly and end up right back where I was. This time, it's a push just to get my butt out of bed to DO this, and to keep doing it every day. I'm proud of even that, so I'm not cutting myself short because I can't run a marathon yet. One day at a time.

Millie - Loved the "liked it in a pure hatred sort of way" comment! That was awesome. That's kind of how I feel about running. LOL I hate it but I really like that I'm sticking with it and giving it a shot!

Good job, Mairianna! I hear ya on feeling your muscles working!

One thing I really like is that I'm breaking out of my old patterns. I know I'm still early in the 30 days but it's neat to look at how my eating, sleeping, and relaxing patterns are changing. I even get more done around the house. I LOVE that John wakes up every morning, amazed that I got up to do my lap. He doesn't wait for me to fail, necessarily, but in the 4 years we've been together I've done a lot of "I'd like to do this..." or "I'm going to start doing that..." and then don't do it (or OCD on it and then quit, see paragraph 3). This is the longest I've stuck with something consecutively the whole time I've known him. It's a good feeling to break out of the "letdown" pattern, and to follow through on my word!

I also like that it's starting to come naturally to me that I consider myself! Like Sally said on another post, I would put myself on the back burner and then develop the "poor me" attitude and resent everyone and everything (including myself) for never "getting" to do what I wanted. Now, I pack myself a lunch (used to skip it)... if I feel like taking a bath in the evening, I do... even something as simple as a bowl of ice cream. This will sound a little dumb, but it's even been habit for me to wait until John says, "Hey, want some ice cream?" Now, if I want ice cream, I get up and head to the kitchen to get it and on the way say, "Want me to get you something?" I feel like that's kind of even more thoughtful in a way, more "I'm doing what I want and considering you in the process" rather than "I'm waiting for you to make the first move and drag me along with you." This weekend, he had a softball tournament. Normally, I would hang out for the entire day whether I wanted to or not, because I feel like I have to. I told him halfway through the day that Kinzie and I wanted to go home for a while, and text me when he's ready and we'll come back.

We've had a lot of stress lately, financially mostly, and things were kind of fizzling. I can feel the connection starting to come back, just by putting a little more focus on myself, and that too is a big motivator. Sorry to ramble on! So glad I met all of you and have this forum to keep me going!!!

Wow Erin. Great post. It is amazing what a difference just one little change can make!!!!
    I got my exercise in. 22 minutes on the treadmill, alternating walking and running..mostly walking. 1.5 miles I again had to Force myself to do it. I tried to talk myself into waiting until later in the day. And then, once I was started, it kept trying to talk me into quitting half way through. I just ignored it and kept going until done. Wow, it is such a good feeling not to give up. One week down. Woohooo

Hi everyone. So inspired by all the energy and posts! Day 4 for me. Millie thank you for starting this thread. I have been struggling with sadness off and on, mood swings, since getting sober. So the exercise seems to be helping me out of some of the negativity. I like the 30 day vegan too as how we nourish ourselves is important too. But not certain on vegan as dont know much about it? I have been eating alot of sugar lately. Anyway congrats to all of you on ur exercise success!!

I hear you! I am not sure about the vegan either. Today I had cheese burgers, chicken salad, and chicken soup (so giving up meat would be quite a challenge. I am impressed with what I have been reading about the health benefits from a whole foods, plant based diet, though... Heart issues/strokes run in my family. I have been reading a diet called engine 2 diet...Hoping to get inspired. Perhaps, I start by just having a few vegetarian days a week... First things first, and that is sticking with the exercise (and not drinking). I am not sure if it is the elimination of alcohol or the exercise or combination, but I have been sooooo hungry (and have a new sweet tooth to boot).

I may have to do something drastic like trying vegan, if I start gaining too much.
    Last edited by Millie; 08-22-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Day 8! Today was a real challenge because we didn't get to bed until 12:30 last night, and then up at 5:30. John says, "I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to do your run today..." and I said, "I don't, but I have to!" It's an awesome feeling to start your day with a good decision! It felt especially empowering to turn down the invitation to skip it today.

I have a sweet tooth, too, but mine's not new - I was born with it. LOL I've been really hungry lately, too, probably because I start my metabolism up as soon as I get out of bed now. Is anyone else finding that they don't crave sweets quite as much, though? I'm not saying I haven't craved them at all, but it seems like I don't think about it as much.

Vegan wouldn't be tough for me all the time, I love my veggies, but once in a while I just have to have some meat. LOL

Great job on your progress, everyone!! I love how we all keep each other going. I know you do for me - even 8 days of this would have seemed impossible before. Thank you again, Millie, for starting this supportive thread!!

I am thankful we got this thread going too. Day 8 done. Wow. I can't even remember the last tme I strung 8 days of exercise together in a row. It is still tough to get it done, though. If I didn't feel like I have to be accountable on this forum (or the fact i would have to start over on day 1 if I missed a day, which would be a bummer) I am sure I would have found an excuse or two to miss a day. I appreciate all the thanks, but i can't thank all of you enough for participating in the exercise challenge and for inspiring me and keeping me motivated. Dragonfly, I am looking forward to the day when I jump out of bed excited to exercise.

Erin, while drinking, I never had a sweet tooth. I guess the alcohol sugars kept it satisfied. Now that alcohol is out of the picture, I have one bad. I am planning to do a vegan day today to try it out.

Have a great day!!!

You know, my mom never cared much for sweets, either. This really has nothing to do with this thread, but "alcohol sugars" reminds me of the day she found out she was diabetic - Mother's Day of 2000. She went to the optometrist because her vision was blurry. They must have seen the start of a cataract (just last year she ended up having cataract surgery), because after checking her eyes they checked her sugar. The doc told her to sit down immediately, because she should be in a sugar coma right now - her sugar was over 800!!!! That was also the first day she was hospitalized. The first of many over the years. Amazing the havoc a fifth of Southern Comfort a day can wreak on your body.

Anyway... diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, depression... all of this has shown up in my family as well as John's family. My daughter has a double-whammy coming her way. I know in order to keep from ending up much like Mom and Grandma did, I need to change some of my habits, starting with being more active. I also know that my little girl will be watching what Mommy does, and I want to be a good role model. Yet another good reason for me to keep going!!

Counting Days has finished day two. Until Patrick fixes the registration issues she can read this thread, but can't post, so I am posting for her. Good job Counting!!!

Great job, Millie, Samantha, Mairianna, Sally and Counting!!! Glad you're joining us even if you can't post it yourself!

Awesome, Dragonfly! I'm glad you're putting your mind to this. I'm noticing a difference in myself, too - pushing myself to get up and do this every day, even if it's rainy or I don't feel like it or the track's torn up - gives me a good feeling and it lasts most if not all of the day. I have the same problem of waking up in the middle of the night thinking. I am finding that the more physically tired I am, the less chance I have of my thoughts waking me up.

Day 9 down! My track isn't all bumpy anymore - yaaayyy! It's still not asphalted, but at least I don't have to dodge tractor tracks in the dark anymore! The lap is getting easier to finish (still not EASY by a long shot) and I feel a little less suffocated at the end. I carry most of my weight around my midsection, and have done virtually nothing to regain my abdomen muscles since my C-section, so I added 25 crunches to my workout this morning. It's a starting point, I plan to add at least one every day. I have also decided that the closet is off limits until the end of the 30 days. I have no intention of stopping this routine after 30, but I figure a 30-day check-in is a good goal. I should see a little difference by then, especially with adding crunches. Either way, I'm feeling better in more ways than one, and I'm good with that!

Bill, come join us. It is only twenty minutes a day.

I have gone from NEVER exercising to just finishing my 9th day in a row. It is really helping my mood and every thing else.

Dragonfly, I did the shred again, and again it kicked my butt.

Erin, I was worried about getting it done, since didn't do it thing in the morning..
    Just finished about half hour ago.

Day nine ---- check
    Last edited by Millie; 08-24-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks, Dragonfly!

Millie, GREAT JOB GIRL!!! I'm proud of you. I would have had the same worry if I didn't get up in the morning. I tend to let things slide if I don't get right on them.

Bill - I can attest to the mood change, too. It really seems to get the cylinders firing and kind of helps align lots of things in your life. Give it a try - it'll kick your butt while you're doing it, but you'll be glad you did when you finish!

Day 10 down!!! We're a third of the way there, Millie! I had to drag myself today, but I did it and yet again, I'm glad I pushed myself. John keeps telling me that doing it every day will break down more muscle than it will build up, and that I would achieve better results if I did it every other day instead. I keep telling him that I appreciate his insight and concern, but I've committed to 30 days, and I have to finish. Right now, this is more about proving to myself that I can follow through on a commitment, and less about losing weight. I told him once I get past 30, I'll give his way a try, but right now, this is about me.

Great job, everyone!!

Today is day 10 for me and day 4 for Counting Days. We haven't checked it off today, yet, but we will before day is done.

Erin, I am having trouble getting cranking in the morning, yesterday and today. I think I may need to start yelling back at my devil voice a little louder.

I have to do a better job of checking in here Millie. I have been busy lately helping my kids, which is a good thing, but things will slow down soon. Some info on my physical routine.. I do run and since I stopped drinking I have been working on increasing my distance and entering more races. I will use your 30 day challenge to inspire me to do that. Not having to worry about hangovers has done wonders for me already.
    Funny reading about the vegetarian diet here. I actually stopped eating meat at the same time I stopped drinking. I am not vegan since I still consume eggs and milk products but it has been good for me. It will be great to share this with you all.
    I am planning on doing some "race for the cure" events. Anyone else planning on doing any of the run/walk events around the country?

Casey, so far I am flunking royally at vegetarian idea. I keep noodling over it though. I plan to watch the CNN special Sunday

Hey Millie, I don't know if it would help you any, but it helps me if I just get up and do it first thing. I mean literally, first thing. LOL Like, I get up and out the door I go, no time to think twice about it. And I remind myself that this is not a punishment, it's something good I'm doing for myself. This has been a good practice in discipline for me, since I'm combining two things I really dislike (running and mornings) and forging through 30 days in a row of it!

Day 8 done. Didn't do the Wii session today, I did a couple of hours work in the garden instead, mainly strimming.

Yaayyy Mairianna! I can't wait to have a garden, I'm jealous.

I did a 30 minute walk around the neighborhood. Nice to be outside for a change. Day 10 done. One third of the way through..

Day 11! I seem to be having one of those "anything that can go wrong will" days, but I got my lap in, so at least that didn't go wrong. I know half of this battle is getting the crabby attitude out of me, so I'm trying like hell to do so!

We're doing great, everyone! Dragonfly, I sooo wish I had a bike! Soon I hope, before the snow flies! Are you still in MO or did you travel to a different state? (You may have said and I wasn't paying attention...)

Millie, yaaayyyy, you and I are both officially 1/3 of the way to 30!!

Have a great day, all!

Erin, I got my act together and got it done this morning!!! 1.5 miles on treadmill in 21 minutes. I also did some weights after. I is nice to not have it hanging over my head for rest of day.

Day 11 done.

Erin, we are doing great !! I was reading back on our posts and you mentioned you were surprised to get to day 3 and now we are closing in on two weeks.

Have a great day everyone. Get your workout in,

Page 3 of 84 First 123451353 ... Last