Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last
    Don't wish it away... don't look at it like it's forever
    Between you and me, I could honestly say
    That things can only get better

~ Elton John, "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues"

"A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner."
    -- English proverb

"Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same."

What's up with "The Eye"?,...it's kinda freakin' me out ErIn. Can you go back to the nice four leaf clover? (just kidding)

That better? I'd hate for you to have nightmares. :-P
    Last edited by _Erin_; 04-18-2012 at 08:25 AM.

"Why choose to fail when success is an option?" ~Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by _Erin_ View Post
    That better? I'd hate for you to have nightmares. :-P
    HAHA!!,..much better. It's like the eye of judgement was looking into my soul!

Why give up everything for one thing, when you could give up one thing and have everything?
    I think I said it right

Procrastination

Procrastination is my weakness
    it only brings me sorrow
    I know I should give it up
    in fact I will, tomorrow.

Sounds about right when it came to my stinking thinking about drinking!

Quote Originally Posted by _Erin_ View Post

"I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~ Thomas Edison
    Erin, you are always such an inspiration!!! I brought this over from another thread 'cause I thought it was a great message.

I still can't send you PMs for whatever reason but wanted to say hi and let you know how much I appreciate your "cheerleading" on so many fronts and to wish you the best! I know you're facing your own set of challenges and hope you're getting what you want and need!!

Awww, thank you, Carol I'm finally getting my groove back so just trying to spread the love again! I have a total of maybe 10 messages (inbox and outbox) in my PM's, so I'm not sure what's going on there! But I do appreciate the note, and I am doing good. Yes, still facing challenges, but who isn't? And I decided to get back to my old, optimistic self instead of dwelling on all the crap not going my way, and it's amazing how much happier I am overall. The challenges will be straightened out in due time, I can be patient. Have a great day, Carol!!

Men feel disturbed not by things, but by views which they take of them.
    - Enchiridion 100 AD

There exists nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
    - Hamlet (William Shakespeare)

Here in Michigan, we've been having all sorts of "Detroit is back" commercials. I saw one the other night - or subconsciously heard it while chasing my daughter around the living room - that had a cool sentence that stuck with me. I believe it was for Chrysler (not that it matters), and it said, "We believe the things you do when no one is looking are the things that define you."

"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about."
    -- Charles Kingsley, Clergyman
    Troubles are temporary. So is life. You get to decide which one you want to focus on

"As an alcoholic, you will violate your standards faster than you can lower them." - Robin Williams

"Always remember that striving and struggle precede success, even in the dictionary."
    -Sarah Ban Breathnach

"simplify, then add lightness" Colin Chapman (meant for cars, but i like it for life in general)

"ima, koko" (here, now) - Mitsuo Aida, Japanese poet

"reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Phillip K. Dick

"i feel more like i do now than i did when i got here." Anon (great if you are at a party sober and wanna mess with a drinking brain!)

"Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task."
    --William James

"It is literally true that you can succeed best and quickest by helping others to succeed."
    -- Napoleon Hill, author

"There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either in or out. There's no such thing as a life in-between. " -- Pat Riley, basketball coach
    Last edited by Ken1; 06-07-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    Troubles are temporary. So is life. You get to decide which one you want to focus on

The First Rule of Recovery

You don't recover from an addiction by stopping using. You recover by creating a new life where it is easier to not use. If you don't create a new life, then all the factors that brought you to your addiction will eventually catch up with you again.

You don't have to change everything in your life. But there are a few things and behaviors that have been getting you into trouble, and they will continue to get you into trouble until you let them go. The more you try to hold onto your old life in recovery, the less well you will do.

The Chance to Change Your Life

Your addiction has given you the opportunity to change your life. Changing your life is what makes recovery both difficult and rewarding. Recovery is difficult because you have to change your life, and all change is difficult, even good change. Recovery is rewarding because you get the chance to change your life. Most people sleepwalk through life. They don't think about who they are or what they want to be, and then one day they wake up and wonder why they aren't happy.

If you use this opportunity for change, you'll look back and think of your addiction as one of the best things that ever happened to you. People in recovery often describe themselves as grateful addicts. Why would someone be grateful to have an addiction? Because their addiction helped them find an inner peace and tranquility that most people crave. Recovery can help you change your life.

From: http://www.addictionsandrecovery.org...ery-skills.htm

“I once heard a sober alcoholic say that drinking never made him happy, but it made him feel like he was going to be happy in about fifteen minutes. That was exactly it, and I couldn’t understand why the happiness never came, couldn’t see the flaw in my thinking, couldn’t see that alcohol kept me trapped in a world of illusion, procrastination, paralysis. I lived always in the future, never in the present. Next time, next time! Next time I drank it would be different, next time it would make me feel good again. And all my efforts were doomed, because already drinking hadn’t made me feel good in years.”
    ― Heather King, Parched

Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last