Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
Random Acts of Kindness
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Random Acts of Kindness

Because I am feeling more secure every day in my sobriety, I decided that it's time to readjust my focus to something outside of myself. Honestly, I'm feeling a little selfish, and selfishness is what I'm trying to leave behind.

I went back and read this from one of Patrick's articles:

"Each person has a gift for the world and when they started using drugs or alcohol they got derailed from their mission in life. They were on a path to greatness and addiction sought to destroy that path. Now that you are in recovery you have to get back on that path and push yourself to do great things. If you do not rise to this challenge then you could easily end up relapsing out of sheer boredom.

You were meant to do something positive with your life. Donít just get sober and sit idle. Go make something happen. What are your dreams? What do you aspire to do?"

I may not be ready to do GREAT things yet, but I can start with baby steps. I can notice people around me, and with very little effort I can brighten someone else's day. That's a start, right?

Will you join me in performing random acts of kindness and posting them in this thread? It doesn't have to be every day, and it doesn't have to be anything that would earn you a Nobel Peace Prize.

Maybe it's telling a cashier that you appreciate how efficiently they do their job. Maybe you compliment a co-worker on the color of their sweater.

Let's try to spread just a little joy on a regular basis. Or notice when someone has done something unexpected that makes you smile, and share that with others here.

What do you say?

What random act of kindness did you perform, and what was the response?

What did a stranger do or say that made you smile?

I will start:
    Yesterday I sent a "thinking of you" card in the mail to a friend I haven't been in touch with for a couple of months. I know she appreciates getting mail, and it is certainly out of character for me to do this. So this counts as random.

I like this idea...At a meeting I attended yesterday on Autism, I made it a point to talk to an Autistic High school student whose art work was on display and let him know how incredible it was.

I LOVE this idea! I think I'm going to try adding 30 days of this to my 30 days of exercise. I feel like I've been being selfish lately, too, and selfish gets me nowhere. I always notice more good coming my way when I'm "paying it forward" vs. being focused on what I can do for myself. I just get "stuck on stupid." LOL Awesome idea, Sue! Thank you!

Love the RAoKs so far! You both probably just made their day!

Erin, arraghhh? (I'm trying to spell the sound Scooby Doo makes when he is consfused) You said "I've been being selfish lately" and that is not the way I see it! You are always so kind and supportive to everyone that needs your help, so thank you for all you great contributions to this great forum! I do agree with "selfish gets me nowhere" and am going to write that on a post it and stick it on my computer. I hope you have a good afternoon.

Sue, you have come up with a great idea here, perhaps it will have a "butterfly effect" on the rest of us, it has me for sure!

Fiona, good for you for supporting that young person, I think you are a good person and you make some very intelligent posts through out this site! Thanks to you for your contributions.
    Last edited by Ken1; 02-22-2012 at 07:55 AM.

There are SO MANY acts of kindness posted daily throughout this forum, and I'm grateful for all of them.

In this age of digital communication, I sometimes need to push myself to have more meaningful face to face time with people. Does anyone else feel that way? Now that I'm sober and clear headed, I seem to be more open to real eye contact with folks.

Today I presented a small gift to a coworker who is a first-time father - a logo baby outfit representing his favorite baseball team. It was something I picked up in my thrift store travels for almost nothing, but it meant a lot to him. He's a guy who doesn't smile a whole lot at work and he was clearly tickled. It was nice to share that moment with him.

Sue, I think its human nature to "cave up" during times of healing and seek contact and share when feeling good. I know technology gives us a barrier, which can be protective, but when we are feeling better f2f isn't so threatening, and actually feels good.

Ken you made my day!

Out to dinner tonight I wrote a note to our server on the back of the bill thanking her & telling her we enjoyed her service.

I keep making that scooby-doo noise ... too funny! Turn on your sound!

http://www.hark.com/clips/nkjgjfqpxm-scoobys-aaaarug
    Last edited by Molly; 02-21-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Molly glad I wasn't the only one...also couldn't stop with "Rut Row Raggy" lol

Ken perfect description.

Molly, I needed to laugh this morning, thank you! I played that clip at least 5 times and laughed every time.

Fiona, you made me laugh too with the "rut row raggy", thanks! Great idea writing a note to your server. I was in the restaurant business for a long time and you seldom hear the good feedback, most people only feel the need to voice complaints, seems backwards to me. I'm sure your sever was thrilled, good for you!

Sue, how very thoughtful of you. You and Fiona demonstrate perfectly that it's not about the money, it's about the feeling behind it. Well done!

Good morning Erin!

So yesterday I tried to reach out to my sister in law who turned 40 and thinks its the end of the world.LOL but that didn't go so well. Tonight met a friend, who has been down, for a painting class & support. Interestingly, I almost always smile at people, always say thank you, but noticing opportunities for RAoK seems harder than it should. Going to have to work on that, cuz I really like this idea.

I just got back from giving blood at a blood drive, so I think that counts as my RAoK #1! Fiona, I agree with you... I always am the first to smile, always thank people, but the RAoK seems hard for some reason

Yesterday I gave a friend some of the extra food I made for dinner because I know she hates to cook.

So I woke up this AM with a thought and sent the following TXT to about a dozen people.

"There are approximately 18 Leap Days in an average lifetime. Hope yours is as wonderful as you are!!!!!

Please consider it sent to all who read it...

Happy Leap Day!

I held the door open at Paneara for a really long time and helped an old, frail woman get inside and hey in line. I was in a rush to get out, and the old me would have just blown her off. I think sobriety gives us the strength to be better people.

The idea is really great.
    I adore that such ideas occur in one's mind.
    This is awesome!

My boss is this fantastic woman who never thinks of herself, works crazy hours to keep things going, and never complains. In our company, regarding vacation time, if you don't use it, you lose it. Today, I emailed her boss, told him how invaluable she is to us, and asked him to consider getting her compensation for her unused vacation time, which I know she has at least 3 weeks left. (He agreed, saying "she is the glue that holds the office together," and he will see what he can do. At very least, will have her unused 2012 time extended into January 2013.)
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    As you sow, so shall you reap.

Well done!!

There is a "freecycle" group in my area on Facebook where you can find people either requesting things they need or giving away things they no longer need, all free of charge. Found a girl that has a little girl younger than mine that could use some of my little girl's outgrown clothes, and I'm dropping them off at her house today after work

I'm a big-time believer in karma, what goes around comes around, you get what you put in, always be thankful, think positive and you receive positive, etc., so I thought it would be good to also share when we receive a random act of kindness, not just when we do them. I was the recipient of one last night... a friend of my sister's (acquaintance of mine) has two little girls. She dropped off 4 bags full of clothes, snow pants with a matching coat, and two brand new bedding sets for my little girl. Not one outfit had stains, rips, holes, or was in any shape other than "like new." Some even still had the tags on them. Don't always know what you'll get when you receive hand-me-downs, but this was like I had just gone on a shopping spree, without having to spend the money! Felt very blessed

Page 1 of 3 123 Last