Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
Ritalin and alcohol
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Ritalin and alcohol

Well, I once tried to quit; I was able to do it for 3.5 months. Nowadays, I drink everyday @ lunchtime. On a normal week, it could be anything between three and five glasses of wine. The real problem comes after lunch: I get the urge to snort Ritalin. Once I get back to my office from lunch, I start with 10mg, which gets me going for 35 to 45 minutes. After that I do bumps of 5 mg and take .10mg of xanax to cut the edge. Afterwards I might do two or three bumps every half hour depending on how much I drank. What kills me is that I get REALLY Depressed (worthless feelings, I think how stupid I am for doing this, etc.) after the alcohol wears out (around 3:30). On Fridays I might, @ lunchtime drink a whole bottle of wine, when this happens then I start (when I get back to the office) with 10 mg of Ritalin and do 2 or more repeats every half hour. This goes on until 4pm. Then I go home greet my family and around 8pm I smoke a hit of marijuana (very nice one), chill out for a while then @ 10pm take .5mg of xanax with a non-caffeine hot tea and go to sleep. Four out of 5 times (the drinking) is with job related with associates or clients.

On weekends I start drinking alone (anything, beer, wine, whiskey) @ noon and snort .5mg of Ritalin every hour. I then take the family for lunch, maybe meet with another family have some wine and so on…There I will have the Ritalin in my pocket and make a few trips to the bathroom.

I quit Ritalin yesterday. I had only one beer yesterday and one today with no Ritalin. I don't want to go to rehab or tell my wife (it might start a scandal) I'm going to do this on my own.

Wish me luck.

Alb
    Welcome, you have your work cut out for you..that is quit a mix of substances. I am not sure if you should just stop all that without doctors help?? It is a lonely road by yourself. I bet your wife knows more than you think..I hope you can put your pride aside and ask her to help you work all this out..like I said it is a very lonely road by yourself. Good luck you are in my thoughts today. You are a prime candidate for the clique "take it one day at a time" Take Care.

Chad

Thanx Chad!!! This is the first time I ever tell "anyone" about my problem. It sure feels nice to be heard!

Well, so far so good. I haven't snort Ritalin in 4 days (5 if you count today but today is not over yet). I had one beer on Monday, one on Tuesday, a glass of wine on Wednesday and one beer yesterday. As far as the Xanax, just my normal dosage; I guess this (the Xanax) has prevented acute withdrawals symptoms. The only symptom I have had is a little speech confusion or memory loss if you will; I guess is the lack of Ritalin acting up. However I've gotten better because that was on Tuesday and Wednesday, yesterday I was "clearer" and today I feel fine. Yes, I mentioned "my normal dosage of Xanax" because is prescribed. I have Social Anxiety disorder and mild Panic disorder; it's a burden but it's manageable.

Well, gtg. I wish this forum was a little more "active" (supportive) but I guess just writing down my feelings and progress helps out. In fairness and without intent to offend anyone, if you know of a forum that's more cut out for me (drug addiction), please let me know or maybe I should post on the "Drinking problem and alcoholism" forum? It seems to be "more" active.
    Last edited by Alb; 07-05-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: adding

Hey Alb... thanks for sharing! I'm glad you're here... you are welcome to post in any and all of the forums you want or find helpful to you! The only forum that has really seemed to sustain itself over the years has been the "How to Stop Drinking" one... however, everyone can read and post to all of the forums. Sometimes I get the impression that people think that just because "your issue" isn't the one they're going through, they won't have anything helpful to offer... which is often untrue. Sometimes just speaking up and letting someone know they've been seen/heard is more help than is realized. And likewise, sometimes reaching out to someone can be therapeutic in itself.

Anyway... I'm glad you didn't give up just because this place is quiet at the moment! Your taper-off plan sounds like it's working for you. Like Chad mentioned, I kind of worried about you stopping everything cold turkey, too, but I am happy to hear that you seem to be managing it well! Please keep posting - wherever you feel comfortable - you are doing great.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    As you sow, so shall you reap.

Alb
    Start posting on the stop drinking site...

Chad

Addiction is addiction it seems to be very slow here so please come and post on the main forum.

Chad

I think something is wrong with the forum system. Every time I log in it welcomes me and it then logs me out. Just like I was writing this I wrote a three paragraph for 30 minutes and when I hit "post reply" it ask me to log in and then "puff" my whole post dissapear. If this posts, I got lucky.

30 minutes is too long...hit go advanced and every few minutes hit print preview and that will reboot page. Many times I worked on a post and it was lost by time I posted it. Best if you can due it on something else I have iPad iPhone has a notes app. I can write the post there copy and past on forum. If something happens just copy and paste again. If you take 30 minutes to post without refreshing page you will loose your post sometimes.. Hope this was helpful. Sorry I thought you were annoyed because no one was posting on your thread.

Chad

LOL! No, I was not annoyed at all... Around 4:00pm EST I kept logging in and the system will log me out; It wouldn't let me finish my post. Then I wrote "d;hfdffhafl" as a test to see if it would post, and it did. I think its back to normal now.

Well, it's been 12 days since I quit snorting Ritalin. I'm still doing one beer or wine @ lunchtime every day. Except for yesterday (Friday) that I did one glass of wine @ lunch and I had some people over after work and a drank one beer. I don't think is a set back because they drank a bottle of wine (at least) each and I was not tempted to join in the binge. However I was able to sit in and talk until they start getting silly. It's impressive how people transform their personality as they go from sober to drunk. I think last night I was more determined to quit drinking than tempted to start again.

The withdrawals are over. The Ritalin withdrawal was the worst, I got soooo sleepy... Thank God I don't have it anymore. As far as the pot is concerned it's been a few days since I don't do any. I'm not keeping track though, I'm not too fond of it anyways... I think it's been over a week since...

Well, thanx for listening!
    Last edited by Alb; 07-13-2013 at 04:08 AM.

Hey Alb - how's it going ? Good to hear of your progress ! Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Hey Alb - how's it going ? Good to hear of your progress ! Keep up the great work!
    All is well. I went thru another big challenge today. I was at a Lunch Business Meeting with some "heavy drinkers" and I was able to do one glass of wine and stop. What I did was I drank it real slowly; nobody really notices at the pace that one drinks, unless of course you are specifically monitoring someone. Then after two hours and few beers and three bottles of wine I excused myself and left. They probably stayed until 4pm, I left @ 2pm. So I can chalk up another win and hope for the best.

I'm not a fortune teller or a mind reader but you could be thinking "why does he doesn't avoid those people?". The answer is: because I can't. As a corporate executive (VP) in charge of marketing and sales, I have to deal with all walks of life. So every now and then I will have to expose myself and resist the urge (if any).

I'll keep you posted with my progress.

Alb,
    You can still go to the meetings and not drink...most people in our position start out "moderating" for awhile then eventually go back to where they started or worse...I tried moderating a million times to no avail eventually I was right back where I started. Your job baffles me where can one work that they can consume this kind of booze during lunch?? I think you should go and not drink at these events..when you drink even one glass you open yourself up to the temptation to drink much more.

Chad

Kinda of messed up isn't it? And it's only Monday. .. tough crowd huh? I'll take your advice under consideration. I plan to fade away the drinking. Maybe tomorrow I'll have none. .. One day at a time right?

Yes - today's challenges are sufficient for the day

3 weeks; that's all I lasted. I'm not doing heavier, but today will be my first day without Ritalin. Let's see what happen. Why is it so hard?

Sorry you are still struggling, but glad you came back to a place of support to regroup and restart >hugz<

Alb...I'm just reading your posts and I hope your doing ok. I just lost my mom to an accidental drug overdose...please, please, please take into consideration the combinations of what your putting into your body. By the way, I too and an addict, to hydro's. Today is my day one of my detox. This is my second time around. But finding out how my mother died, changed my perscpective on addiction in a new way.

I too don't want to go to rehab, becuasue of my position at work, I can't...so I'm trying this on my own. Do what works for you, but if you can't do it on your own, there are other support systems out there that are confidential. I will actually utilize them myself this time.

I hope your doing ok, let us know!
    Serena

"When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top"

How are you doing now?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last