Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
Fitness--Health--Diet
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last

Fitness--Health--Diet

I have been posting in the 30 day challenge thread for quite awhile now.. I started thinking that there is more to what I want to accomplish..

Since, I stopped drinking my overall health has become a much more important part of my life..

In this thread, I would like to talk about Fitness plans, Health (vitamins & supplements), Diet (recipes, smoothies, green or fruit)..

I feel I have gone beyond the 30 day challenge and into a lifestyle.. My lifestyle has become, running and working out, taking vitamins & supplements, and really trying to eat right..

I encourage you to join me and exchange tips and have conversations in all of these categories.. Keep track of your workouts exchange recipes for healthy eating and talk supplements and vitamins..

I also want this to be a safe place for anyone drinking or not.. I read on here all the time someone stops posting because they have had a slip.. This thread is dedicated to helping us get healthy in all ways.. Maybe? If you do have a slip dedicating yourself to anyone of the three categories will help..?
    “Well, if it can be thought, it can be done, a problem can be overcome”

When, I first stopped drinking I was a physical and mental wreck.. I was about 50lbs heavier than I am now, was having terrible panic attacks and just felt lost.. My wife encouraged me to start walking with her in the evenings during my witching hours.. It took some time, eventually, I began to feel much better and healthier.. I was afraid to go to the doctor so I decided to challenge myself.. Take 6 months to get into shape and then go to the doctor.. Well, that challenge has taken on a life of its own.. It has become my lifestyle to keep myself from Ever raising a glass again..

My first topic I would like to talk about is Fitness.. Let's talk about the different types of exercise we do.. And hopefully it will take off from there.. Or whatever you feel like...

Let's make this fun, informative, and safe.. Everybody's ideas are welcome..

Thanks
    Chad

Hey Chad. Great idea. I just want to get the drinking association out of the way for myself with respect to this subject. And what I mean is that I kept myself reasonably fit even while I was drinking. In one way it was like a way of saying "See, I'm fine with this. I can drink AND I can work out and be fit."
    But, I was quite fit but definitely wasn't healthy. I would be wrecked after a work-out or a match and would really need to muster so much willpower just to go for a run after I'd been drinking the night before.

Now, it's a lot easier. Ok, I'm only 10 weeks in and after 25 years of drinking that's not a lot but its already enough to see a big difference in how I'm affected after my work-outs, as well as how I am enjoying them so much more.

I'm currently doing a lot more, exercise wise and have given up all vitamins and supplements too. I'm trying to get all nutrients through a better diet, to be honest.

I mentioned this in another thread but I'm currently running 10k three times a week. My knees wont let me do any more even if I wanted to but it's more than enough for me, anyway. I play soccer once a week and, weather permitting, I try to get in a hike once a week too.
    I've never been big into weights but I do a tiny amount for maybe 10 mins a few times a week.
    I turned 43 this year and can't believe I couldn't do this sooner.

Oh, something fresh and new. I like it I used to be quite the fitness guru, then I went through the slump and was still working out, but kinda a meh blahness, just enough to get by. Now I'm coming out realizing it's more about health of the body, mind and spirit components and even with injury modifications, I can still meditate and eat healthy. I am a foodie and love to eat out and cook, however 80% of the time I now view foods at fueling my system. Exercise feels great, but eating well is amazing in how much more energy and intensity you can have during a workout as well.

Currently my fitness schedule is lift 2-3 times a week (currently doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women program; they have one for men too!) and cross train (I get bored easily if doing the same thing day in and out). I love to bike and hike at least a few times a week, but with winter coming, I picked up some new DVD's to keep things from getting stale (boxing, belly dancing, low step). I have a gym membership, but only go about once or twice a week if I have to during the winter or for HIIT workouts (High Intensity Interval Training). I try and get my daily 30 minute walk in or garden, not so much for fitness, but my walking meditative quiet time. I also like yoga and pilates a few times a week, not only relaxing, but seems to lengthen out the muscles nicely. Goal by the end of this year: Do a full unassisted pull up, both underhand and over

Sounds like you have a great routine, Periwinkle.
    Has anyone seen this doc...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227378/

Initially, it seems extreme, but as it progresses and you get to see the change in these peoples lives it really makes you think.

Thanks, for reading and posting on here.. I was able to get my run in tonight safely in the dark.. I purchased a cool light that I can clip on the bill of my hat.. It was 2 weeks ago today that I stubbed my toe on a raised piece of concrete and took quit a tumble.. Which brings me to my next thought.. When I fell, I was able to not kill my knees because of the knee braces I wear..dav- Peri do you wear any type of knee brace.. http://www.breg.com/products/knee-br...oft-knee-brace.. This is the brace I wear and it has brought my 42 year old knees back to life.. I raced motocross and was an avid skier for many many years.. My poor knees have taken a beating over the years.. When, I first started to run, my right knee would swell up like crazy.. I would have to ice and heat for awhile after finishing a run.. My doctor recommended these and they are a life saver.. I have no knee issues at all anymore..

I haven't seen documentary but will check it out and get back to you.. Is anybody here vegetarian or vegan? I am a meet eater so I would love to hear about that..

Tonight's Green Smoothie
    Avocado 1
    Cilantro 1 small bunch
    Cucumber 1
    Mango 2 cups frozen and cubed
    Add all in blender with 2cups ice and 2cups water..

I am excited to talk and learn from you so please if I jump around to much just steer me back where you want to go..

I will get into gluten tomorrow and how much better I feel for stopping eating any..

Chad
    And thanks again for showing interest..

Chad, I have a spongy knee brace but it rubs when I run so I haven't been using it. The one you linked to looks sophisticated, to say the least!
    I definitely need something, though. I will pick something up during the week. Because I've been sick, my training has been sporadic this week but I'm presuming I'll be back to normal from Monday.

I'm not vegetarian but we have been doing three meat free days a week and that's going well and I'm feeling the better for it.
    Hey, I'm interested in your experiences with gluten, Chad...

dav- Not to say that alcohol didn't make me feel like crap, but it was not the only reason..when I stopped drinking I wanted a complete fresh start, I guess a redo. I had spent so much time analyzing my bad behavior that I thought it all boiled down to that.. What I wasn't thinking of was all those nice dinners out while drinking 2 bottles of wine.. The bread before the meal and the pasta with.. All the yummy baked deserts after the meal.. No it wasn't just the wines fault for my bloated miserable stomached..
    When I quit drinking, I decided to stop eating all white flour and cut out sugar as much as possible.. I was amazed at how much sugar is added into everything! So back to the gluten thing.. After, stopping all white flour I noticed a big change in how I felt, so went even as far as cutting out whole grains.. I began to notice how much easier it was to loose weight, also.. I eat a completely gluten free diet now, and have for over a year.. Turns out without even knowing it I am gluten intolerant.. Another benefit to quitting drinking finding that out.. Have to be careful if you are going to substitute alternatives to gluten.. Many thing are tapioca based or rice flour and have a very high glycemic index..

Ran 8 miles 7 minute miles this morning feeling all endorphined up right now!

Chad
    Xx

Also, wanted to mention my family has a history of having thyroid issues.. Gluten closely resembles on a molecular level hormones the thyroid produces.. When I finally went to the doctor I was diagnosed with hypothyroid.. Hoping in next blood test my levels will be back in range.

Chad
    Xx

Morning Oatmeal
    1/2 cup organic gluten free oatmeal (can be processed in a plant that also does wheat products)
    1cup water add organic raisins
    Microwave 50% power for 5 minutes
    Add table spoon of hemp seeds
    Add table spoon of chia seeds
    Add small amount of organic walnuts
    Add 1/4 cup whole organic milk
    Powdered cinnamon to sweeten
    Stir all together and enjoy.. One heck of a good, positive, tasty, no guilt food..

Chad
    Xx

My orthopedic doctor wanted me off braces so that I can strengthen my muscles up around my knee so that when I get the ACL reconstructed, I will recover quicker. I was scheduled for surgery last February, but had a car accident that resulted in a fractured skull and TBI, so I couldn't get medical clearance. Hoping for an all clear by January

I too have cut back significantly on my gluten intake (not completely) and have found most of my digestive issues I had been suffering with went away. Also my thyroid issues (used to be hyper, but through years of medication, I started to become hypo. After this gluten change, and cutting most processed foods and eating more raw veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds, I am no longer needing to be on meds. I do think diet really does play a big part in helping if not curing many of our ailments. I love meat too much to be a vegetarian though, esp since it's one of the easiest way to get protein other than protein powders. I do limit my beef intake to 3 times a month, twice as steak and once as a big juicy burger. Mainly poultry and fish gal, occasionally doing some wild game.

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead is a great documentary! I always ate somewhat healthy, but since I took it a step up, I've really become more aware of what I put in my mouth and see it as fuel. 80% of the time that is. I am a foodie and will still indulge on something fried, greasy, fatty, and not feel guilty about it 20% of the time Plus, weight lifting has really boosted my metabolism and I can eat more now without gaining as easily. When I was first down with my knee injury and couldn't drive or hardly walk, I watched alot of food documentaries cause diet was one thing I could still have control over

My morning oatmeal is almost similar to yours Chad, but I add pumpkin and flax seeds. I use this blend called Qia to add to my yogurts to get my chia seeds in

Here we are talking about healthy eating and I'm now eating a pizza as I type this on my cheat day!

Well, you guys are really a motivation in how you are approaching health. I'm really glad to have met you as it inspires me to push on further and to keep improving.
    It's amazing how we can create benefits for ourselves and the power was always in our own hands but we weren't truly aware of it.
    Changing ourselves like this is almost like putting our bodies into a time machine and going back 20 years, if you think about it.
    By eliminating alcohol, bad food habits, exercising more and being mentally focused and clear it just shows you what we are capable of.
    Lets keep it up :-)

Being healthy to me is taking care of the body, mind and spirit so taking quiet time for walks, meditation and yoga I think is beneficial. For some who are easily distracted with thoughts, a guided visual meditation can be a great alternative to quieting the mind down. Each day will be about 10-12 minutes for 21 days. This first day is a bit longer, because of the introduction from the cinematographer of the series. Then it has a mentor speak for a bit, then goes into the "quiet" time with beautiful imagery. Anyways, it's just 15 minutes of your 1440 minute day, that's like 1% Aren't you worth that 1%? http://www.mentorschannel.com/LouieS.../Program/8752/

Cheers for that, Periwinkle. I'm dropping the kids to school now but will check back with you guys later.

Very excited! We went in with four other families and bought a grass fed steer.. My wife went out on the ranch and picked him out he had never been corralled before.. He grew up in the open grass lands.. Never pumped full of hormones and fed corn.. Just your normal good grasses.. we also are getting our Thanksgiving Turkey this year the same way.. Wife has a good friend who raised them on her property and they eat only organic scraps and feed.. I make no apologies for being a meat eater but I believe it should be done with decency and the utmost respect for the animals.. I have big problems with the Corporate version of this.. Watch the movie Food Inc. it will show you what I am talking about..
    dav-Peri, thanks for your contributions here.. They are invaluable...
    butterfly, please come join us whenever you are ready..

Chad
    Xx

To all you runners out there, I learned a big lesson yesterday.. I get my running shoes at a great non chain store.. The owner is a triathlete and really knows his stuff.. I was starting to have sore feet and ankles and couldn't figure out why.. I have been getting the same shoes for awhile now and have really enjoyed them until about 2 weeks ago.. He asked me how often I run and how far.. You should replace your shoes every 3 to 4 hundred miles.. It is expensive but my new shoes are like running on a cloud again.. I will keep track of my mileage from now on and change them according..

Major green smoothie tonight
    1 carrot
    1 apple
    1 avocado
    1 large bunch fresh salad greens
    1 orange
    2 stalks of celery
    1 frozen banana
    4 kale stalks
    2 cups water
    2 cups ice
    https://secure.vitamix.com
    I encourage all smoothie drinkers to look at the VitaMix blender.. Expensive, but so was alcohol.. There is no better blender to make a smoothie with.. I have had mine for many years and it still works like brand new.. No job it can't handle!

Chad
    Xx

It's been a crazy day as the car broke down and all organization went out the window but just checking in. Hope everyone is doing well.

I saw this doc had arrived on Netflix and thought of you, Chad...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2433336/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

dav-- That guy is totally awesome!! I live in kind of a unique area.. I live on a golf course but about 25 miles away are Dairy farms.. Seeing, how the cows in the movie are treated compared to the shit filled corrals with 100's of cows here is amazing.. Still a little scared to drink raw unpasteurized milk though.. Is that more prevelant in Europe? The laws in the US would probably make it impossible for him to succeed here.. Or at least turn a profit anyway..
    Thanks I really enjoyed it..
    Hope all worked out with broken car.?
    Chad
    Xx
    Last edited by Chad; 11-06-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Chad, no, you would have to go to a health store to buy unpasteurized milk in Ireland.

Ach, the car! Don't talk to me :-( 500 euro to get it repaired, what a disaster!

I return to 'proper' training for the first time in two weeks tonight and I'm hoping my knee holds up. My cough is finally abating and the mini sugar feast is behind me.
    Hope everyone is healthy and doing well.

I love my Vitamixer! Last Christmas I asked everyone to get me a gift certificate to Bed Bath and Beyond (birthday too since it's around that time of year). I went the first week of January with my gift cards, a 20% off coupon and it was on sale for $100 off. Came out paying only $36.82 for it! I use it almost every day, even started making soups with it when I discovered that left on high for 3-4 minutes, it heats things up so I don't have to food process things, then put in a pan to heat up

The Moo Man I have not watched, will look for it on Netflix and que it for a rainy day off from work The gov't has been cracking down on unpasteurized milk farmers here, making it very difficult to sell raw milk. I find that ironic that they are concerned for our safety, yet these modern daily farms are pumping all kinds of chemicals into the cows. Good Q&A section: http://www.realmilk.com/ If I had easier access to it, I would switch over. For now I have to stick to organic non-steroid/antibiotic stuff from Whole Foods.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last