Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
Fitness--Health--Diet - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 First 12345 ... Last

I've heard of a few instances where seemingly healthy people suffer heart attacks while running. It seems to have a lot to do with speed, as mentioned, and training for too long with respect to distance. I think its quite prevalent in marathon runners, people who are doing 20 miles a stint a few times a week, especially.
    Hopefully, a few 10ks a week, at a reasonable speed will keep me out of danger.

Keeners... The lot of you :-(

dav
    In the video he mentions his best friend who happens to be a cardiologist takes meds to stop heart issues in 5k and 10k distances.. But, that doesn't seem to be the norm those are the distances we should run..
    His whole point is that running marathons is not the healthy lifestyle we like to think it is.. Train and run a marathon, once in your life, if you want, but then move on.. He also mentions a women who is his patient, she is a triathlete, she finishes only 50% of the time.. She either wins or she passes out..
    I already did something super unhealthy.. I am trying to do this right.. dav, your running regiment sounds pretty much what the doctor recommends..

Chad
    Xx
    “Well, if it can be thought, it can be done, a problem can be overcome”

You know, I would be almost fearful about taking it beyond that distance now, Chad. I do some hiking too which is obviously over a longer mile radius, up mountains and hills and so on, but the pace is balanced with many downhill sections to offset the heart rate that builds from the steep climbs.
    When I was around 16 I read Stephen Kings novel 'Thinner' and I remember a phrase that the main characters GP applied to him, "You're entering heart attack country."
    As I am now in my 40's I am very aware of what I put my body through, physically. I wish I had woken up to what I was putting it through with alcohol a lot earlier but I'm making amends now.

You lot need to cheer this one up... All this talk about death? That's not going to motivate anyone.. Fitness, health and diet ? Hmmm

I had a great cholesterol reading yesterday, the good C number is actually higher than the bad C number. As for triglycerides, eh...wait a bit to see if that number improves with time as alcohol seems to be one of the factors in higher numbers, even with low other numbers.

I've been working out my jaws quite a bit this week with eating apple pies...

again, that darn sweet tooth!

It is so satisfying to get those good test results.. I had so many years of hiding from the doctors.. Good for you, Peri.. Let's keep it up.. Remember, that sweet tooth could be what is keeping your triglycerides not exactly where you want them.. Sugar is a major contributor to higher triglycerides..

AF
    Just wanted to mention something positive for ya! I had the best filet tonight.. 6 oz cooked perfectly medium.. Grass fed right out of our freezer.. My son has really learned how to cook a great steak.. Then, instead of Green Smoothie, I had a mixed greens salad with olive oil and cranberry vinegar dressing.. How's that for positive??

Kinda funny story.. I have water with me when I run.. I have certain points in my run when I make it to them, then I take a drink.. I told that story to my wife and she said " I guess you still reward yourself with a drink." I never thought about it that way, guess that's just how I am wired.. At least it is a positive reward system now..

Chad
    Xx

Good morning! I got up and Shredded this morning... last week's challenge didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped for but I'm bound and determined not to give up now.

Chad... you must have a huge freezer to be able to grass-feed beef in that thing!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    As you sow, so shall you reap.

If I win the jackpot, I'm going to have my own farm of veggies, fruits and free range chickens and grass fed beef. Green acres is the life for me.

Thanks, Erin.. I just read that and had a laugh at myself.. If you can't laugh at yourself? Well, we all know the answer to that..
    Peri, I think my wife has said that very thing a guzzilion times.. It sounds so nice.. No more hormoned up corn fed grocery store crap!

Chad
    Xx
    Besides, then I could afford a grass fed beef freezer!

Ok, so what kind of vitamins and supplements do you guys take? And why?
    My list is:
    2 Gummy multivitamin (My tummy doesn't like anything else it seems, tried them all from pharmacy to sport's nutrition places), to fill in the gaps of my diet
    Probiotic, seems to help my IBS issues
    Glucosamine, Chondroitin Complex, Hyaluronic Acid, joint issues
    Omega 3 Fish Oil, fill in the gap and helps with depression
    Super B complex with vitamin C, take this around lunchtime to help give me an energy boost, help with stress and nervous system
    additional Niacin, about 600mg through the day, they claim it cuts out cravings and the flush, while uncomfortable, does seem to give my skin a healthy glow
    7-Keto (Dhea Acetate-7-One) Made for women and doesn't affect hormones like some DHEA's can, fountain of youth, seriously, so many bennies for those over 40
    5Htp 60 days on, 60 days off, (alt with St John's Wort) Mood elevator, I feel peachy keen on it, usually will take it mid afternoon as sometimes it mellows me out too much (non drowsy though)
    Vitamin D 1000 I.U. With D3 Boost immune system and helps with winter depression.

Peri - I cannot believe that list?? Do you rattle when you walk?
    I don't take any.
    I think I'm really missing out on something here...

Haha, no I don't take them all at once either, kinda divided up through the day!
    I guess I should add to that list that I take a spoonful of unsulpured black strap molasses for iron from a natural source. Tastes like shite. Since starting this 6 weeks ago, it has helped my energy alot

Whoaaaaaaaaaaa - you take them EVERY DAY.
    Wow

Peri,
    I take lots of supplements and will post them tomorrow.. I would like to have a nice discussion, AF, what the benefits are of each one and do we feel we actually get those benefits.. Some people think it is all in the mind.. I happen to believe what I am taking has major benefits..

Chad
    Xx

I stopped taking supplements when I gave up beer. I was taking omega 3, vitamin c and zinc, as well as garlic. Doctors are very adamant about the negative effects of extra vitamins so I would, without being preachy, definitely be careful and check out the research.
    I also wonder where the hell I got the money for beer and supplements now that I don't drink anymore. I'm still always broke :-)

I don't take any supplements daily. If I feel like I need a boost, I will take the occasional iron or zinc or even a multivitamin, and if I feel a cold setting in, I'll take some vitamin C and zinc. I read somewhere once that your body absorbs vitamins better through food than supplements, so I just try to eat healthier. I really hate those giant pills, so even if I wanted to take supplements daily, I usually fall off the wagon after a couple days. YOU TWO (Peri & Chad), however, take "eating healthy" to a whooooole different level than I do, so I'm surprised you need any supplements at all! (That's a compliment!)

I bought a new Jillian Michaels DVD - Ripped in 30 - I really like it and I think this time I need to take some before/after photos to see what kind of damage I can do. My little girl (she'll be 3 next month) woke up early today, so I had my own little personal trainer for a while... "Mommy, go faster - really fast!! You're not going high enough Mom... reach to the ceiling! Ooh, you're strong, Mom!" Then she even joined in on the cool-down stretch. At least she gives me positive reinforcement with the constructive criticism.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    As you sow, so shall you reap.

I agree that the best way to get nutrients is through a well balanced diet, supplements will never equal that. However realistically, most average person cannot eat like that everyday, although those GREEN smoothies sure do help. Today I had a PURPLE one, just to be different It had beets, cherries and kale with vanilla protein powder and other good for you powders
    I have some health issues that has caused some anemia in me for certain vitamins, so I like having the supplements to fill in the gaps.
    I also suffer from anxiety and when the anxiety gets overwhelming, it can show up as depression, so I did some research on natural methods (supplements and foods) to help with that. They do seem to work cause anytime I start having issues, I can take a look at my diet and see that I've been slacking.
    Taking the B-complex at lunch has been a great energy booster, better than caffeine.
    Having more probiotics in my diet, both the blend capsule and through yogurt has helped tremendously with my IBS issues (I have alot of GI problems, always have since I was a kid, so I learned early on about eating healthy=less issues) Also cut back on certain bread and pastas, I don't think it's a gluten issue, but more of what kind of yeast is used. Learned through trial and error which brands to avoid.
    As for the multi-vitamins, I split them in half, one for first thing in the morning and another mid afternoon cause the body can only absorb so much vitamins at a time and most time as they say, we will just end up pissing them out. I guess the way I look at vitamins is like wearing a helmet while mountain biking. Extra protection

As for food, I try to vary my diet week to week, buying things when they are in season or buying things only when they are on sale. I print out a list each season and try to check off as many as I can, it gives me a chance to try some new things I never heard of, look up recipes for them and some I found were really good and never would have thought to try them. I've always been kinda weird...Mom never had problems getting me to eat brussel sprouts or spinach Then again I come from a Japanese Italian German Irish Cherokee family so food is all over the board!
    Last edited by Periwinkle; 11-20-2013 at 10:12 AM.

This is where I think an AA style meeting would be cool.. dav I hear ya! But don't agree, but that's good.. This is what I was going for when I thought of this thread.. Erin, definitely take pictures.. I have learned going by weight doesn't necessarily justify what is happening.. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat.. It's how your clothes fit or don't fit the extra energy you feel that counts.. I haven't lost any weight since June but people still think I am loosing because I am getting tighter everywhere..
    Peri,
    I find it interesting, the more I get into diet the more people think I am extreme.. I wish I would have went to the doctor when I quit drinking but I was to scared.. I did go 6 months later and was shocked at how good all my #'s were.. I am going back in a month or so to get all the #'s again and it will be interesting to see the difference.. I think what you are doing and your attitude towards it is a breath of fresh air.. My friends who drink think I am just substituting one addiction for another.. I feel I got a second chance to do it right..

Thank you all for posting such great info and insight on here.. Alcohol is not the only thing in life that is bad for us.. Just giving up Drink is not the end it is the beginning to a happy and healthy life..

Chad
    Xx

Page 3 of 12 First 12345 ... Last