Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
Staying clean is the real challenge

Staying clean is the real challenge

Hello everyone! This is the first time that I will share my story on the internet. I hope this will help other people who are suffering from addiction on any kind of substance. I’m done being one and I don’t want to go back to the dark side. I really hated myself back then; I’m manipulative, a thief, and a liar. It is a shame what I’ve done when I was a user.
    I abused all sorts of drugs. I started with weed when I was in high school, then hash. And then I was not contented with pot and tried illegal drugs (coke, heroin, meth, etc.). My family never knew any of this. I have no friends; my classmates always made fun of me. Telling gossips behind my back, even my teachers hated me. My only considered friend was my addiction to drugs. I’m not weird or anything and I don’t know why they hated me. I’ve been bullied for the rest of my high school. This triggered my depression stronger. As I have been treated badly, I always thought that I have no right to live in this world and just die ugly. I’m ugly because I’m a drug addict, a person good for nothing. Always acts violently to everyone, stealing money from my family. Maybe, I’m crazy?
    Asking for help back then was impossible until I entered college. Well, yeah, I’m still an addict but not as worst when I was in high school. I made friends in college and had a girlfriend. They were always there when I’m down and frustrated knowing that I am far from home. After a couple of months hanging out with them, they told me to stop taking drugs and get clean. I listened to them. And I am so proud that I have such great friends and a wonderful girlfriend who never let go of me. So, I went to counseling, a detox center and lastly a Treatment Rehab Tempe, AZ. But those sessions only helped me stop taking drugs. But staying clean was the real challenge. After 6 months of treatment and therapy, I got out of the rehab center. Now I’m clean for about 10 years, and the girlfriend I mentioned is now my wife. My friends didn’t leave me, instead always there for me as years go by.

This story was 15 years ago. I have a normal life now, a beautiful wife and two adorable kids. I have a regular job, normal life, and drug free.
    Last edited by Pooft1984; 01-24-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Hi Pooft, welcome to the site! Thanks for sharing your story. I can relate fully to being picked on in school. I was "normal," except overweight and poor. I remember getting made fun of for wearing the wrong brand of shoes once. I used to think back and wonder, if those kids knew my mom was raising four kids on her own, if they still would have made fun of me. Probably, because the realities of "real life" don't really occur to you until you're in real life. But I've made it one of my goals to make sure my daughter accepts her peers for who they are, if she chooses not to be friends with someone, my hope is it will not be because she is "better" than they are.

I'm glad you moved past the bullying and got clean, sounds like such a happy turnout to your story! Thanks again for sharing!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    As you sow, so shall you reap.

I totally understand you _Erin_. You're not poor, you have your family to support you right? That means you are rich on love and care

Wow great story. I hope one day to say I've been 15 years sober. Not there yet but one day. I think it boils down to keeping yourself busy and finding something to live for that you love. Thanks Pooft.
    Charles Johnston

Thank you for reading I'm sure that you will tell your story to people and you will be successful

Staying clean is hard but it is worth it. Inspiring story poof