Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
Gratitude List
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Gratitude List

Gratitude List

Was reading another article talking about the power of practicing gratitude, so I think it's time to have a place to come to list the things we are grateful. Whether that is a big list of everything, or just a daily list of a few items listed, that is up to you. I know for me when I take time to be more mindful and look for the little celebrations or breaks in life, it helps the rough days go by a bit smoother. I think it may be a good reminder to think about the things we will throw away and not appreciate or notice if we are drunk or feeling lousy from a hangover. I myself, like to find at least three things in each day that made my day. http://theweek.com/article/index/256...in-to-be-happy
    Last edited by Periwinkle; 02-20-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Guess I will start off with my big general list:
    Everything.
    God's love and grace.
    Being alive.
    My best friend of 21 years have stuck out 17 years of our relationship together (we were friends for 4 years before dating)
    My mom and dad, especially my dad who has seen me struggle so much with past griefs and hurts, always unconditional love.
    Having the influence of my Grandmother and some of my best traits, I picked up from her.
    Old friends who have stayed loyal through the years.
    New friends I am making through recovery groups who are inspiring to me.
    The Word of God to guide me.
    Kindness of strangers.
    Recovery and support groups. I have met the most honest real people in my life.
    My church, for being open to asking questions to faith and providing answers I seek.
    The stars, sunsets and sun rises.
    Nature, trees, flowers, birds.
    Music, art, writings.
    Seeing random acts of kindness in real life.
    My cat, she has seen me at my worst, crying my heart out, passed out, angry at the world for it's unjustice, and there she was always knowing when to give me a kiss and curl up next to me, almost as if watching over me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	993027_692272514156406_2113928444_n.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	64
    Last edited by Periwinkle; 02-20-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Thursday gratitude:
    1. Seeing a rainbow from my deck down below from end to end, it was amazing and took my breath away.
    2. Even if short lived, it was sunny and 70, enough to recharge me from the winter blahs.
    3. Having power on my block when everyone else in the neighborhood was down after the storms. Enjoy my comforts.

All this to enjoy cause I'm not drunk

1. An overall pleasant morning with my daughters, and a chatty ride to school with my youngest.
    2. That my words helped a friend feel better yesterday.
    3. That I'm reconnecting with people.
    *That my SR friend Periwinkle created this spot!

Well, even if this ends up being a two man gig, I'm sticking with it

Friday/Saturday gratitude:
    1. Hearing a testimony on an alcoholic and codependent that evening. I am always so amazed at the raw honesty people who have worked through recovery will share to help others without worrying about judgment.
    2. Warm sunshine and reclaiming my deck time.
    3. One of my vehicles I know needs about 2.5k in repairs, yet it passed inspection today, so it buys me more time to work on it.
    4. Gift of fellowship from the women in my Al-anon meetings
    5. Wafflehouse waffles.

All this to enjoy because I'm not drunk!

This morning I am grateful
    1. For not drinking. Waking up today with a clear head and mind, I feel exhilarated today!
    2. Good friends that have stuck by us as a couple through the years, and accepting us with our new lifestyle
    3. The critters and birds that come to the feeders, esp on grey dreary days like today. Seeing a bright red cardinal cheers things up a bit.
    4. Having my heart open to listen to the Universe
    5. Coffee, oh glorious coffee!

Name:	1959353_696725680377756_434490005_n.jpg 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	65

All this to appreciate cause I'm not drunk!
    Last edited by Periwinkle; 02-23-2014 at 08:26 AM.

1. I am grateful to Periwinkle for starting this thread to remind me to count my blessings.
    2. I am grateful to my SR friends, knowing you have my back.
    3. I am grateful for the love of my family.

1. I am grateful for my daughter, my little hero that helps me keep things in perspective.
    2. I am grateful for waking up another day, alive and breathing with another chance to make it a wonderful day.
    3. I am SO grateful for my little family, and that we have survived many hardships together and come out stronger than ever.
    4. I am grateful that, although we still have quite a stretch to go, we are nearing the end of winter! I can see patches of grass in my yard now! (The driveway is a skating rink/luge run, though.)
    5. I am grateful for all of the friends in my life, "real life" friends as well as those I have made online. I love that every time I speak to one of them, I gain something useful.
    6. I am grateful for my first and forever love, chocolate.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    As you sow, so shall you reap.

Today I woke up grateful:
    1. Family. Spent the day with them yesterday, and as quirky as they are, I love each and every one of them. I am blessed to have a strong family that gets together at least once a month for dinner, bbq, event, holiday.
    2. My truck actually passed inspection. It needs some major repairs and I was fretting I was on a time crunch to get it all done right away. Now I can break it down into repairs and have some breathing room.
    3. Having food in my house. Tons of it. Think we could survive a zombie apocalypse. I used to volunteer with a food pantry, and remember the shock of seeing the families who came to the weekly pick up. Not just then numbers, but they would never had struck me as people struggling for food. Guess that will tie in, I am grateful for food pantries. I met someone recently in my recovery group for codependents who runs a pantry. Coincidence? Probably not, as I was thinking of getting back to volunteering. Just do it.
    4. Watching a beautiful sunrise
    5. Breath right strips. Tried them for the first time last night. As ridiculous as I looked, it actually worked and I woke up with clear nasal passages. I feel great!

This morning I woke up grateful!
    1. I have many designs to work on for work this week, as well as a few new contracts for the upcoming season, it will so help us out of the red that we have been living in over the winter. We figured with not buying booze or adding drinks to our dinner tab, we are saving about $300-500 a month, and not having any more drunken purchases (I about died when he came home one day this summer with a 52inch TV, new DVD, new Tivo, new Xbox!) I was a bit overwhelmed at first how we were going to get back on track, but by breaking it down and keep doing the next right thing, it's gradually starting to pay off and seeing the results!
    2. I am thankful for living in the United States and not having to be persecuted by imprisonment, or stoning or exiled because of my religious beliefs. Or even political.
    3. For my daily yellow bellied sapsucker visiting the feeder, makes my heart warm and fuzzy to see him.
    4. For inspiration music and artists. With the cold last week, I was in a bit of a funk, but having music to listen to, it's been keeping my head above the water.
    5. To have my husband to go through this journey with me. It's so much easier this time around having each other to hold each other accountable, rather than the resentment of him being drunk while I was trying to be sober and improve my life. However this time, I am picking up tools that I feel that even if he does relapse, I can now separate/detach myself away from his recovery and stay focused on mine. I am thankful for all my support groups that have helped me with learning how to apply those tools to my life.

All this to enjoy cause I'm not drunk!

Name:	1798024_698022703581387_1891541969_n.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	66

Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.
    — Ralph Waldo Emerson

1. It may be cold, but it's at least a beautiful blue sky sunny day!
    2. Cheese, glorious cheese. I could live off this stuff. Chocolate too! Tastes just fine without the pairing of wine to me!
    3. God, for giving me so many opportunities, even when I had pissed on them in the past. The universe I do believe wants good things for us, we just have to be open to receiving.

Name:	1970612_695352950515029_494805472_n.jpg 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	67

Today I woke up grateful:
    1 For that amazing sunrise with the beautiful clouds, it took my breath away!
    2 To have another day here on earth to keep moving in the right direction.
    3 Best one yet, my best friend has 6 months sober under his belt today. I'm so proud of how much he has grown since coming out of rehab, not just the sober part, he has been so open to change and embracing it all. It makes my heart swell to see him so much happier without the drinking, the hangovers, the misery and bottom he hit over the summer. I was so afraid so many times I was going to come home and find him dead from alcohol or gunshot in the head. I am so thankful to have him in my life and that we are finding our way back. :')

Name:	1526473_675546662495658_1328623045_n.jpg 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	68

Peri,
    Thank you, for being here.. I am grateful that you are here and so honest and helpful..

Chad
    “Well, if it can be thought, it can be done, a problem can be overcome”

I am so grateful:
    1. For my Lilies (name of my step study women's group), last evening as we shared, my heart swelled with love for each and every one of them. There is a saying at the end of my Al-anon group that says you may not like everyone, but you will grow to love each of us in a very special way and it finally clicked that I do genuinely love each and every one of these women who are constantly inspiring me, encouraging me, supporting me and together we hold each other accountable to keep working at our recovery. As different as our stories may be (addictions, habits, hurts, hangups), there are many similar feelings and struggles.
    2. For the Universe showing me if I just surrender and trust in the process, to keep my heart open and have faith, that it will provide everything I need. My life is no longer about what I want, but what I need and I'm learning to be intuitive to know that those needs change daily and I don't have to wait for the events, people or outside world to make things right again for me. It's right there within my spirit and I'm learning to navigate and keep finding myself in the right place at the right time, with the right people to say or do something and it just amazes me!
    3. For the first person who decided to squeeze the teats of a cow or goat or sheep and figured out how to make cheese.

Name:	1514611_662628833787441_488543011_n.jpg 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	69
    Last edited by Periwinkle; 02-28-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Today I am grateful for
    - Rain in SoCal
    - The beautiful patch of blue sky directly overhead in between the showers
    - Both of these reminding me of the gift of life, and how grateful I am to be alive in this moment

I am grateful for the wonderful massage I just received.

I am grateful for Patrick. Who decided to share his wisdom on sobriety with the world. Who created this forum and continues to support all of us.

I'm grateful for all my spiritual river friends.

I'm grateful for the sun. It has such a dramatic impact on my mood.

At this moment, I am grateful for:
    1. Late night talks in bed, sharing thoughts and ideas about life with your best friend and falling asleep holding hands. It's nice to be able to again talk to one another without the alcohol Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde and worrying about setting someone off on to drinking.
    2. Sharing a really nice meal of crayfish boil, chicken and sausage gumbo. Sometimes I wish I didn't like my cooking so much though as I keep going for seconds! lol. Celebrating Mardi Gras at home in our style was fun!
    3. Beautiful blue skies and fresh snow. Made my quiet time this morning in prayer and meditation very serene.

All this and more to enjoy this morning cause I'm not hung over from a party weekend

Name:	1506729_701323606584630_1973393284_n.jpg 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	70

Ah, just found this thread peri... Happy thoughts...
    I'm grateful today for all my amazing friends, their support and loyalty, I'm loving their energy and sense of humour over the last week... Don't know where I'd be without them...
    Xx

With having to share one car tomorrow while my vehicle gets repaired, I know I won't be around much tomorrow, so going to share that tonight I am grateful:
    1.That the car rental situation did not workout (forgot my driver's license in another purse at home and locked myself out) as it allowed me time to spend time with my mom and dad today as I waited for my husband to pick me up after work.
    2. For a very inspirational testimony of an alcoholic for 35+years and now sober for 7years straight. It took him quite a few tries, including having several 6 months sobriety and even 1.5year before relapsing until it finally "clicked". It was a reminder that this will be a life long recovery and we are always one drink away from disaster. There is no graduating this. And it's ok, so long as I keep growing into a better person and learning.
    3. Hot tub on 5° nights with the stars shining above. Gives me time to just be present moment and let all the worries or anxieties fade away.

Name:	1620791_701569236560067_1034213734_n.jpg 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	71

Grateful for rain that has taken the edge off our drought.

Grateful for this community and AA for helping me do what i could not do alone.

Grateful for good health

Page 1 of 3 123 Last