Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 111
Trying to get back on the wagon

Trying to get back on the wagon

So I had one of those eye opener mornings today. No more, something needs to change. Yesterday I had polished off almost 2 bottles of vodka to myself. I started at 7am. I have been battling alcoholism for about 5 years now after quitting a 15 year meth habit. I started drinking, it is just so easy and available. I have been doing better...I have not been drinking at work anymore or drinking daily. More of a binge drinker. Once a week I have a blow out.
    This is my day 1 and look forward to hopefully continuing on this sober path.

Welcome buzz

I'm glad you've decided it's time to stop.. You replaced meth with alcohol do you have a plan for alcohols replacement?? In a couple of days that eye opening hangover will be gone and your AV (Alcoholic Voice) is going to start screaming to be heard..
    Keep posting, there are many people here who can help you with a plan or formulating one..

Look forward to hearing more from you..

Take care,

Chad
    “Well, if it can be thought, it can be done, a problem can be overcome”

Welcome buzz! There are sev er al of us here just starting out. Everyone here is awesome and knows how you feel. Post often. There are so many with many years of sobriety who are willing to help. Don't be afraid to ask.

I am a runner...I pretty much replaced my addictions with running. Alcohol is just that last kicker I can't seem to kick. I run ultramarathons (26.2 miles and over...just ran my first 100 miler). I am to a point where I do not think of alcohol all the time but it interferes with my training.
    I am going to see my family doctor tomorrow to talk to him about some options. I read about some medications you can take to reduce the cravings. Also to get back on antidepressants.
    I do feel a lot better today. Thank you everyone for being so supportive

Welcome Buzz! Glad your seeking your doctor's assistance. Keep posting it helps!

Welcome Buzz - I took campral when I found I was struggling to get past 2 weeks sober - it really helped me. You might want to investigate that.

What is campral?

Campral is a medication to help control alcohol cravings.

I have watched a lot of alcoholics take it after going through detox and, while it may help some, it definitely ain't no magic pill.....just my own 2 cents of course.

There is no magic pill. I feel like I just gotta do the work just like the rest of ya! If it worked for some hallelujah! I guess I'll do it the old fashioned way. Thanks for the info!

Hey there! This is a first posting in almost 2 years here on the site. I started with the first HUGE forum, but this felt better & more intimate, AND I liked the title = Trying to Get Back on the Wagon. Because, here I am again!! Trying to ... I truly believe it is timing. Timing in our life, our year, season. moon phase...stars aligning??? Ready for it when it hits. And ~ It's hitting and I have to buck up and realize that I need a backboard (of people!) to hit these feelings, itchinings, cravings off of! Alone/solo is no way to go!!! I have proven it wrong for how many years now!??? Sad.

To go off the last post, No there is no magic pill!!! The Mind is Crazy, but I have confidence in The Body! Another attraction here was the athletic aspect spouted here by Buzz. I truly feel that exercise is the outlet/key for me. It is just how to get my ass out there!!! To remember THAT feeling!! I want to do handstands everyday, once again!!

Sorry, I am a writer.. so, long winded than most, but like to share where I am "at"/coming from/perspective.
    Thanks for reading.

Welcome back One Braid! I primarily post on the How to Stop Drinking Forum and wanted to send you a quick hello. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sober Female View Post
    Welcome back One Braid! I primarily post on the How to Stop Drinking Forum and wanted to send you a quick hello. Looking forward to hearing more from you!
    Glad to be back. Hope others do check in. I think it will help. If not, you will soon see me on The Big blog.

But, for shits & giggles....since here....
    I had a funny moment the other day. I had the URGE sooo bad i just gave in. It was A DAY and i said OK to the 12 pack of beer. (Can't do hard stuff, nor wine- thank god!) I got home, started tending to my biz and totally forgot about the brew in car. It was great!

But, it also clicks with so many other times. Craving it, and just the getting of it makes it all better. It seems as long as my mind knows that i have it....I calm down. Crazy.

Thanks for reading.