Drinking Problem

I don't really know what to write without making myself sound insane. Here goes.

I'm almost 28 and I feel like I have a major drinking problem. I'm currently in university and doing well, except for the odd days off when I'm too drunk to attend. My main problem is that when I start drinking I cannot for the life of me stop. I would like to stop drinking, however my main goal has been to cut down on the quantities I drink. Whereas normal people drink for the night, my drinking seems to carry on for days at a time and then I have to spend days recovering. When I come off a binge I promise myself I won't do it again, however by the time I've sobered up and I'm no longer hungover I'm thinking about drinking again.

I have tried everything I can think of; only drinking beer, only drinking wine, only drinking after 9pm, only drinking at weekends, only drinking in the pub, only drinking after a meal. Nothing I have thought of trying has worked. I feel as though I should have the will-power and determination to quit on my own but I really don't know where to start.

I'm going to read through the posts on this forum. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer88 View Post
    I don't really know what to write without making myself sound insane.
    Hi Jennifer, and welcome..

The trials and obsessions you speak of so many of us have been there it doesn't make you insane, although it sure can feel that way at times.. Trying over and over to change the way you drink, to try and find a better outcome, is what is making you feel insane.. Accepting you will never be able to drink like 'normal people' is the key to understanding how to quit and move on..

Good first step, reading the many pages here..

I hope you will start posting and taking part in the give and take of the main thread 'How to Stop Drinking'..

Take care,

“Well, if it can be thought, it can be done, a problem can be overcome”