Afraid to stop....

Hello all - I am new here and happy to have found this site- I have struggled for so many years with my alcohol addiction - I am a fully functioning alcoholic . I am unable to go to rehab as I did many years ago for Xanax addiction and have never taken a pill since - but I am obviously still self medicating by drinking wine every night for as many years As I can remember , I would guess about 20 yrs - I practice yoga and am very grateful for that and some days I am at work at 7 and not home till 7 at night . But in that short time before bed I can drink an entire bottle of wine and have daily discussions with myself about how it is time to stop for my health and my future - but I'm so afraid of the way my body and mind will react . I'm afraid of the physical withdrawal and the anxiety . It actually feels good to get this out to someone other than myself - I come up with An excuse to put it off everyday . any thoughts? .
    Last edited by Awburnd; 01-25-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Hey awburnd, welcome to the forum... Fantastic that you took the first step to admitting you feel your drinking is controlling you. Now you've recognised it you can do something about it
    Join us on the main thread 'how to stop drinking'... There are lots of us at different stages of stopping, from years to months to weeks.... It's a great idea to read back over historic posts and you'll see similar themes and issues that people have been experienced and overcome.
    It maybe wise to visit a dr and explain you are intending on stopping? They will
    Probably do some blood tests and check you out. I was drinking almost 3 bottles of wine a night by the time I quit, it was tough and I had a few physical issues like crazy sweaty sleep, but on the whole was unaffected and continued to work full time ... So you SHOULD be ok stopping if you were regularly consuming a bottle. The best thing to do is take it one hour at a time, get some strategies in your toolkit... Read through some posts on the main thread and you'll start to get some ideAs.
    Great to have you here

Xx

Quote Originally Posted by Awburnd View Post
    Hello all - I am new here and happy to have found this site- I have struggled for so many years with my alcohol addiction - I am a fully functioning alcoholic . I am unable to go to rehab as I did many years ago for Xanax addiction and have never taken a pill since - but I am obviously still self medicating by drinking wine every night for as many years As I can remember , I would guess about 20 yrs - I practice yoga and am very grateful for that and some days I am at work at 7 and not home till 7 at night . But in that short time before bed I can drink an entire bottle of wine and have daily discussions with myself about how it is time to stop for my health and my future - but I'm so afraid of the way my body and mind will react . I'm afraid of the physical withdrawal and the anxiety . It actually feels good to get this out to someone other than myself - I come up with An excuse to put it off everyday . any thoughts? .
    Hi! Welcome to this forum. You are on the right place. It is good to know that you have realized something. It's a good start. Yes, at first there will be withdrawal symptoms but eventually I am sure that you will pass through it. Everybody has experienced it, what's the good news is there are a lot of people here who can support you. You may also consider going to AA meetings, wherein this meetings will surely guide you on your way to sobriety. May God always be with you my friend. Keep us updated!

just checking in and looking for work forgot what day I am on , hope all r doing well , bye