Ongoing drinking problem.

Hi all. I've had a drinking problem ever since my early 20's if I am being honest with myself. I have only admitted as much to myself in the last 4 or 5 years but at least that in itself is a step forward. I've sought counselling on a couple of occasions, tried naltrexone, abstaining, even drinking non-alcoholic lager. But any progress made is always short-term and I end up back in the pub sooner or later. I've been toying with the idea of trying some form of alternative medicine or healing, such as hypnosis or acupuncture, to see how that goes. I've been looking at courses of online self-hypnosis classified ads but I think it would be more effective in my case if I actually booked an appointment to see a professional. Has anybody else tried hypnosis to help quit? If so, did you find it effective? Same questions for acupuncture...? I'd be really interested to her other's experiences and thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Sam1977; 10-31-2016 at 11:07 PM.

Welcome. I recommend that you join the main "how to stop drinking" thread and ask your question and just discuss what you are going through, as that is the thread folks mainly check. I have not tried those things, but would be interested to hear if others have.
    Last edited by Millie; 10-21-2016 at 05:49 AM.

I have honestly only heard of hypnosis being effective for quitting cigarettes, never heard of anyone using it for alcohol or other drugs. But I second Millie's suggestion to go check out the community in the "how to stop drinking" thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Millie View Post
    Welcome. I recommend that you join the main "how to stop drinking" thread and ask your question and just discuss what you are going through, as that is the thread folks mainly check. I have not tried those things, but would be interested to hear if others have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Meninga View Post
    I have honestly only heard of hypnosis being effective for quitting cigarettes, never heard of anyone using it for alcohol or other drugs. But I second Millie's suggestion to go check out the community in the "how to stop drinking" thread....
    Thanks guys. I'll head over to the other thread as suggested. Cheers.

I'm not familiar with either hypnosis or acupuncture as a treatment for alcoholism (I have tried counseling and naltrexone...both unsuccessfully) but my general feeling is that no one can fix this problem for us. The willingness and motivation to change has to come from within. That said, the guidance and support of those of us who've faced similar challenges can be invaluable.

Drinking alcoholic drinks is like a disease, it affects every kinds of people - from teenage to adult. Everything seems like a fade that almost everyone is attracted to it and later ends up to addiction. If you are interested then visit symptoms of alcohol addiction

Quote Originally Posted by Massive Inaction View Post
    I'm not familiar with either hypnosis or acupuncture as a treatment for alcoholism (I have tried counseling and naltrexone...both unsuccessfully) but my general feeling is that no one can fix this problem for us. The willingness and motivation to change has to come from within. That said, the guidance and support of those of us who've faced similar challenges can be invaluable.
    never heard of such methods either but i might try them out later as i did have tried some meds with no success so far. thank you very much for your share!